Keith asks: What do users want?

For discussion of the Subeta pet site, including new colours and other features.
Fury From Above

Re: Keith asks: What do users want?

Post by Fury From Above »

Yes, I agree-Subeta is far too item based.

I know this might upset people; but something that that is weird is that pets seem to be bloated or very happy for almost forever, pretty much making food and toys nothing unless it's a battling pet that needs to have max damage. I am not saying for the pets to be demanding like in Neopets where you have to feed a pet many times to have it bloated, but maybe add a tad more significance to this. But I'm sure it doesn't help that toys dissapear once played with.
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Post by AngharadTy »

Fury From Above wrote:But I'm sure it doesn't help that toys dissapear once played with.
True; this makes high-cost toys worthless, ironic as that is. Maybe "pointless" would be a better word. I don't want to meet the person who spends 2M on an item just to have their pet play with it.
Image Image
WisteriaLynx
Human Avatar: 319191

Post by WisteriaLynx »

Jamie wrote:Subeta really needs to develop the world more, have more games and take the focus away from HA's and items. Not completely, but it definitely needs balancing.
It really has taken a turn for the HA-obsessed lately. Don't get me wrong; I love HAs just as much as anyone, but when all of the recent CS items are 100-point wearables, it starts to feel a little... skewed. :? I guess I'd just like to see a leeeetle more balance in the new features (and less frequent release of simple, multi-colour-option clothes items into the Cash Shop. Things like the MCTs, I can understand, but handbags? Eventually, that shop is going to overflow).

And also for any sort of coding to work for more than a week at a time. Please? I haven't done anything fancy with my profile, or with my pets' profiles, or anything really, because it's anyone's guess as to what the site will eat this time. You know, how for a while apostrophes won't work, and then quotes won't work, and then apostrophes work again but now ampersands don't work, and so on and so on. It takes me long enough to code things when sites *don't* glitch up what I type.
shaelyn76
Human Avatar: 185309

Post by shaelyn76 »

Seerow wrote: A quote from Huggles on the Economy thread reminded me of something I would love to see happen; pet themed items. Most of the items released don't seem to tie into the Subeta world as a whole. To go with Huggles example of the recently released cake frostings, I mean sure they are pretty but I don't know of many people who just collect cake frosting. However, if they were pet/minion/npc themed cake frosting, a bunch of people would probably grab them for pet treasures or galleries. I would love to see items released that are themed around pets, as at the moment each species pretty much only has a plushie and beanbag to represent it. Not saying every item released has to be themed after pets, but it would be nice to see more of them released.
It actually seems that they are going the opposite direction with this. I just noticed the other day that the paintbrushes are no longer named after NPCs. For example, the Colonel Awesome Paintbrush is now Puke Green paintbrush. I still see Calvin and Jack Cardale have paintbrushes named after them, but the puke green used to be Colonel Awesome. I have to wonder when Jack and Calvin will lose theirs as well.

I agree that pet(or minion or NPC) themed items would be much more valuable.

I think it was Huggles who mentioned on the Economy thread that minions in general need to have more significance. I agree with that as well.

So much of Subeta just feels random. There is so little history and back story for Subeta that it makes it seem empty. The pets and the NPCs just seem to be random thoughts that were thrown out there at some point, with no real ties to one another. Changing several of the characters from anthro type pets to real humans I feel was a mistake. That at least gave some feeling of interaction between the NPCs or at least some continuity. I dunno....I guess what I am trying to say is that Subeta needs to figure out who they are. Are they a petsite with a story and a culture or are they just a hodgepodge of items, games,pets and a forum area that have no real connection.

I enjoy Subeta. I really do. I just feel like there could be so much more to it. I know that both Luxe and Keith have said they plan to develop Subeta as a whole and complete world, but I feel like there is so much focus on HAs and all things HA related that it will be very hard to pull back from that and take a turn towards making the site more well rounded.

Also, I love getting new items released as it is fun and kind of exciting to see what pretty new thing there is, but I have to agree with Jaime about the amount of items compared to the amount of active users does seem a bit out of whack. There does seem to be a glut of low rarity items that have no real use or value at this point due to overproduction or again, lack of a real use other than quest fodder. There also seems to be an issue with some of the higher rarity items as well. DPs should always be more expensive than a restockable item, but there are several DPs that consistently lose value and bottom out in price due to their lack of usefulness or just lack of appeal. I enjoy being able to scoop up DP minions for rather cheap and before the Reading Competition, the DP books as well, but at the same time...it was almost painful to open a DP and get either a minion or book that you know would be worth very little in sP value. It kinda took away from my desire to buy from the CS as I wasn't sure it would be even close to worth it. And then there are those items that for some unknown reason just never really hold a value relative to their rarity. shrug...

I would like to see Subeta become more of a "real" place. Oh, and more trophies/competitions would be nice too.
Subeta Neopets
Click my dragons?Image
Iggy

Post by Iggy »

Errr, Colonel Awesome was not really a NPC, though :) He was a staff custom item, for Cydewinder, I believe,
Jessi
Human Avatar: 155904

Post by Jessi »

Sadly, I think the way that the artists' quotas are run have a lot to do with why there's so many items on the site. Artists have to finish a certain amount of stuff to fill up their quota, and the fastest way to do that is items - so there's always millions of items being made.

I think it'd be nice of Subeta had more of a structure when it came to releasing new items and new news, instead of just random updates. Most of my other suggestions ended up on the economy thread, so I won't repeat them again.
shaelyn76
Human Avatar: 185309

Post by shaelyn76 »

Iggy wrote:Errr, Colonel Awesome was not really a NPC, though :) He was a staff custom item, for Cydewinder, I believe,
And how many people who actually play the site now would know who the hell Cydewinder is? It wasn't named Cydewinder Paintbrush, it was called Colonel Awesome, who for all the average player knows is some random NPC that popped up somewhere in the past. Now I know that Colonel Awesome was referenced in the now defunct editorials, but I myself had no clue he was based on Cydewinder and I had read those blasted editorials multiple times for trivia answers. From what I have read and seen discussed, most of the "old" characters on Subeta are based on some player from long, long ago or are just based off of Keith (Calvin Blackmoon, King Keith), so maybe there just needs to be a clean slate. All old NPCs get revamped and/or changed completely so there are no references to any older players and we get new NPCs with stories all their own and a whole new history of Subeta. This relates to the whole Help section being overhauled completely as well. When I look at Jack Cardale's help article it references Quetzel who is yet another I would assume ex-staffer that newer players know nothing about.(and who we also BTW have a plushie named after still). There needs to be some consistency on this issue. I am a big fan of consistency and I really hope that staff is indeed trying to gain more of it with the name changes to items, but I also see what scant history Subeta did have in the past being eroded and nothing really replacing it.

/end rant :)
Subeta Neopets
Click my dragons?Image
Seerow
Human Avatar: 155383

Post by Seerow »

Can I just say, ditto Shaelyn's above post. I always thought Colonel Awesome was a NPC as well, as he was mentioned in the editorials. I always assumed that he was tied in with Calvin, etc. But because there is no place to go to check for NPC histories I could never confirm it.

Anyway, I'd like to see a more even distrubition of items. It seems like we'll go a two or three days without any real new asides from Recycle Beast, then all of a sudden BAM we'll have 10 color dresses, 15 color shirts, and a few randoms thrown in all in a few hours or across the span of the day. They could space out the release some to have a set of items released every day/every other day/whatever.
Wanna donate towards my drink gallery, the Golden Goblet.
Monkeyguy

Post by Monkeyguy »

Well he sort of was an NPC. It was almost like he was Cydwinder's Subettan alter-ego and I'm pretty sure he was involved in at least one plot.

Also, I agree that we need more items that make Subeta different and real.
Image Image Image
Erstin
Human Avatar: 340918

Post by Erstin »

I'm not sure if someone mentioned it before, but It would be great if we could buy stuff from the user shops without having to go inside the shop. I was talking with a friend about it and we agreed that some shops take too much time to load (backgrounds, glitters, lots of items and stuff) and it's very annoying. :P
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Post by AngharadTy »

Compared to Neo, I prefer Subeta's user-shop-system by a ton. Going into the shop is... like extra advertisement for the shop owner. I don't mind paying that cost in order to have the "buy" button on shop search. Also, I *have* bought stuff from within a shop after buying one thing. The only thing I don't like (other than glitter; who thought that looked good??) is when the shop owner has gotten rid of the sidebar links. I always click "search shops" from within the shop to spare the server the minor strain of me hitting "back" and searching for the item I just bought an extra time.
Image Image
Erstin
Human Avatar: 340918

Post by Erstin »

AngharadTy wrote:Compared to Neo, I prefer Subeta's user-shop-system by a ton. Going into the shop is... like extra advertisement for the shop owner. I don't mind paying that cost in order to have the "buy" button on shop search. Also, I *have* bought stuff from within a shop after buying one thing. The only thing I don't like (other than glitter; who thought that looked good??) is when the shop owner has gotten rid of the sidebar links. I always click "search shops" from within the shop to spare the server the minor strain of me hitting "back" and searching for the item I just bought an extra time.
I have done the same before (bought items after going inside a shop) and I agree it's good sometimes (found a lot of items I didn't know that existed that way). But when I'm doing wizard quests it just waste some precious time. I hate to get a 10 point tokens because the shop took too long to load.
I know it's hard to please everyone and it's probably impossible to change it, but I wanted to say what I'd like to see changed too. :)
Silverevilchao
Human Avatar: 155477

Post by Silverevilchao »

Erstin wrote:
AngharadTy wrote:Compared to Neo, I prefer Subeta's user-shop-system by a ton. Going into the shop is... like extra advertisement for the shop owner. I don't mind paying that cost in order to have the "buy" button on shop search. Also, I *have* bought stuff from within a shop after buying one thing. The only thing I don't like (other than glitter; who thought that looked good??) is when the shop owner has gotten rid of the sidebar links. I always click "search shops" from within the shop to spare the server the minor strain of me hitting "back" and searching for the item I just bought an extra time.
I have done the same before (bought items after going inside a shop) and I agree it's good sometimes (found a lot of items I didn't know that existed that way). But when I'm doing wizard quests it just waste some precious time. I hate to get a 10 point tokens because the shop took too long to load.
I know it's hard to please everyone and it's probably impossible to change it, but I wanted to say what I'd like to see changed too. :)
Here's a tip: the site will start loading the user shop after you successfully get the item. So after about five seconds or so, you can just move on to the next item and still have the one you got from the previous shop. ;) Saves time for DSL users like myself.
Bif

Post by Bif »

Anyway, I'd like to see a more even distrubition of items. It seems like we'll go a two or three days without any real new asides from Recycle Beast, then all of a sudden BAM we'll have 10 color dresses, 15 color shirts, and a few randoms thrown in all in a few hours or across the span of the day. They could space out the release some to have a set of items released every day/every other day/whatever.
I actually really like it like that. I like the fact that there is no real structure to when the news comes out because it means that (lately at least) there will (almost) always be something new in the news when I check it, no matter what the time. I love that spotenaetiy (sp?) and the feeling that something exciting might be happening. Where as on Neo I have to wait until TNT gets in at 8:00am NST time and THEN it's late anyway. Because I never know what Subeta will update, I'm never dissapointed, and it gives me a chance to see news first sometimes, living in the Southern Hemisphere as I do.

However I do believe that items which do not have a purpose, really aren't worth creating, if you can't collect is, read it, wear it, battle with it...then there is no real reason to have it and the price plummets. Perhaps there should be a focus on making old items useful so as to clear the back log? And annoucing it on the news when it is made useful. Recently all those herbs became wearable, and it took a while for people to notice. If it were annoucned on the news, then the news wouldn't be empty from the lack of newly released useless items. I hope that makes sense.

Subeta really does need some sort of written down history, or characters or something, being fairly new it still feels to me like Subeta is very new, because it doesn't really have a written history. However, it does have history, because it has been around for...is it four years now?

I will say that with the move to .ws there has been so many more item releases, updates and especially colours which I find fantastic. Subeta is a lot more exciting for me than Neo ever was.
lavender
Human Avatar: 168295

Post by lavender »

Erstin wrote:I'm not sure if someone mentioned it before, but It would be great if we could buy stuff from the user shops without having to go inside the shop. I was talking with a friend about it and we agreed that some shops take too much time to load (backgrounds, glitters, lots of items and stuff) and it's very annoying. :P
I just hit the browser's stop button (for FF, for IE I believe the ESC button stops the loading) right after I click 'buy'. The sale goes through and I don't end up in the shop unless I'm not quick enough to the stop button. It'd be nice to not have to do that, though.
{neopets: _lavender} ImageImage Image {subeta: lavenderkennedy}