Trivia Talk

For discussion of the Subeta pet site, including new colours and other features.
Saturn

Re: Trivia Talk

Post by Saturn »

I'm guessing you all found the same answer I did, then. :/
I submitted it anyway, cause I'm sick and have a headache and don't feel like looking any harder. I really want the doll though...
Jen
Human Avatar: 270420

Post by Jen »

Likewise, I'm not entirely satisfied with the answer I went with but oh well! I already have one of the dolls and I'll be kind of relieved if there aren't a billion of them out there after this trivia xD
Kamil
Not the nice one
Human Avatar: 72834

Post by Kamil »

Jen wrote:Likewise, I'm not entirely satisfied with the answer I went with but oh well! I already have one of the dolls and I'll be kind of relieved if there aren't a billion of them out there after this trivia xD
Heh. I was thinking the exact same thing earlier. I spent way more time than I'd care to admit to searching for the answer to this, as I really wanted another for my gallery of pretty things, and I never found anything besides the answer I'd imagine we all submitted.

It fits, if you squint at it, but if it is the answer whoever came up with the question itself needs to be smacked.
Image Image
MM and Twofold rock, yo.
Griffin
Human Avatar: 156329

Post by Griffin »

Your answer music note latte for the trivia was correct! Youve been given an Beautiful Elephant Ballerina Doll and 378sP

I didn't doubt this answer because I thought they were using the book title in the same way they've used overcomplicated language to make searching for a simple description harder. The trivia is rarely ad verbatim when they give you an item description question except when they intend it to be really easy.

And hey, I'm pretty sure I got this one right away x)
Kamil
Not the nice one
Human Avatar: 72834

Post by Kamil »

Apparently trivias haven't been controversial enough lately: http://subeta.net/forums/view/644682/1

I read wordpress blogs all the time; some of my oldest interwebs friends use wordpress. Some of my favorite authors use wordpress. I have at least one tab open to wordpress as I type this. I certainly don't intend to stop reading them, and I'll be damned annoyed if I get another one of those cutesy ickle warnings as a result.

And while I'm bitching, I hate the new one, even though I'm pretty sure I got the correct answer - if not all that sure about the correct format. I don't really think pop culture references should be part of a subeta trivia.
Image Image
MM and Twofold rock, yo.
Sunwolf
Human Avatar: 36334

Post by Sunwolf »

Keith:
It's not being sent to all users. It's sent to any user who's computer has been to a cheating website, or a page that lists trivia answers, in the past two months. This just goes to show you that cheating sites can't always be trusted to keep their visitors confidential.
Whoa, WTF? :shock: The fact that Keith can tell which sites that we've been to, not to mention penalize us for it, disturbs me greatly. How on earth can Keith know this? Is there now spyware from Subeta installed on my computer? Does Keith know my Ebay or Paypal history?

I did not get one of these "friendly warnings," as I had no idea what Wordpress was. It really smacks of "I'm watching you :wink: ," which is freaking me out, as well as pissing me off.
My computer is connected to the internet and the internet contains everything in the whole wide world ever. I don't know about you but I sometimes find everything in the whole wide world ever a bit distracting.
Jax
Human Avatar: 475124

Post by Jax »

Don't worry Sunwolf it scares the crap out of me too, seriously WTF

I didn't get a warning, and I too use word press a lot, so I donno how this is working? 8|
Wingsrising
Human Avatar: 157670

Post by Wingsrising »

Based on the comments on the forum thread, I *think* this is what they're doing: (Warning: horrible color scheme alert!)

http://whattheinternetknowsaboutyou.com ... rview.html

Interesting. I didn't know this was possible, but now that's it's been pointed out to me, it makes perfect sense.

It seems to me that actually freezing someone on these grounds would be problematic. All it shows is that someone using the same browser has visited a particular URL within whatever time frame the browser keeps its history for. It doesn't show the user actually copied the trivia answer (or indeed even that they were the one who visited the site).
Keith

Post by Keith »

That's exactly what we're doing! We found out about it (it's not an exploit) through the new york times, which used it to figure out what sites people visited the most when they went to NYT. Also google analystics (already on Subeta) uses it to determine what sites you come from and what popular sites people use while viewing the site. Another thing, Quantcast (already on Subeta) which puts it's stats here does the same thing.

It's not uncommon to be used in this way.

We're not targeting wordpress in a broad way, just specifically the subetatrivianswers wordpress. And we aren't freezing anyone for going to it, we just sent out a friendly warning saying that using these sorts of sites is against the rules.

If you got it, someone who uses your computer may have gone to that site (as it doesn't take into consideration user or anything) or if you used a public computer that went to it, etc. That's the downside of it. We didn't specifically call anyone cheaters, or give out any official (or verbal) warnings for it :).
Wingsrising
Human Avatar: 157670

Post by Wingsrising »

I was just messing with the "what the internet knows about you" site and I admit, it's sort of creepy. Clever, but creepy. :-) The Internet knows what brand of tea I buy! (Or at least what major tea website I shop at...)
Keith

Post by Keith »

Wingsrising wrote:I was just messing with the "what the internet knows about you" site and I admit, it's sort of creepy. Clever, but creepy. :-) The Internet knows what brand of tea I buy! (Or at least what major tea website I shop at...)
StartPanic is another site that displays what this method is capable of (I assume they have a database of popular sites) and I admit that it is a little scary, but I'm not really afraid of my browsing history :P

On Subeta, we're only tracking one site (that's the trivia answer wordpress) and for awhile we were tracking two threads related to selling accounts on a cheating website.
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Post by AngharadTy »

Cyro wrote:I didn't doubt this answer because I thought they were using the book title in the same way they've used overcomplicated language to make searching for a simple description harder.
It's funny, too, because the day before the music note latte trivia, I thought to myself--pleased--that it's been ages since I had to quote xkcd about being deliberately misleading in an attempt to be clever. Sorry, guys, I jinxed us. ;P
Image Image
Foghawk
Human Avatar: 254768

Post by Foghawk »

The attack being used is a very simple one, and the method of getting around it is equally simple (and perfectly innocuous).

I'm not actually worried that anyone will be able to follow any of this up (nor would I be if I'd ever actually used those sites), but I still oppose this on principle. 'Friendly warnings' aren't all that useful when the cheat sites proudly proclaim that they're cheating.
Jax
Human Avatar: 475124

Post by Jax »

I'm still kindof iffy on it but I do understand it much more now, thanks for the explanation Keith :3 At least it's not as black and white as I at first feared for a moment.

It's just, it still seems easy to get around if you know what your doing, but it should steer lesser cheaters away. And heck if you can scare a few of them it sort of solves a bit of the problem (and damn, big time cheaters are gonna cheat/get frozen even if you flash it in giant red letters anyway XD).
Huggles
Feral Koala

Post by Huggles »

The first trivia I bother to answer in ages I get wrong because the question is stupid.

During the Atebus Revolution Masquerade, you danced with other members in return for trinkets.

Sorry, the answer is dance.

Gah! The party wasn't going on at the time of the question, which makes it past tense. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. But, even if I am, that should have been clarified.