Subeta takes another step towards Gaia...

For discussion of the Subeta pet site, including new colours and other features.
Jessi
Human Avatar: 155904

Subeta takes another step towards Gaia...

Post by Jessi »

From the news:
We are TESTING users receiving sP for posting on the forums.

Just a FYI.
...Am I the only person that doesn't approve of this? Seriously? I don't LIKE using the Subeta forums (because I prefer to have intellectual conversation - that's why I post here!). I get sick of everyone kissing Keith's ass, among other things. The Subeta forums are only mildly better than the Neoboards, and that's not saying much.

I think this is a stupid, stupid ass idea. It's just another thing that makes Subeta feel more like Gaia and less like a pet site for me. How about earning SP with your pets somehow, instead of being a socialite?
Seerow
Human Avatar: 155383

Re: Subeta takes another step towards Gaia...

Post by Seerow »

I don't like it much either. I just posted to see how much sp you get per post, but didn't get any (unless its on a time delay or something). Regardless if its a large or small sum, I still don't agree with it. All it does is encourage spam and worthless topics, both of which there are plenty of. I'm glad its just in testing phase, but most things that enter testing become an actual feature. I'm REALLY hoping that trend doesn't continue with this.

I'll give it a chance of course (not like I have a choice anyway), but I can't see any good coming from this.
Wanna donate towards my drink gallery, the Golden Goblet.
hebdenhippy
Human Avatar: 235278

Post by hebdenhippy »

I don't think this is a good idea at all. I appreciate it's only a test but I certainly hope it doesn't go through. All this will do is encourage spam, I do go on the Subeta forums, but only the Imagination Station, if I want to actually discuss something Subeta-ish, I come here! Basically, I really don't see an advantage to this. All it's going to do is make more people post random boards about stuff like "How many pageviews do you have" or "How expensive was your HA", stuff that doesn't really benefit Subeta in any way :/
WisteriaLynx
Human Avatar: 319191

Post by WisteriaLynx »

According to one board I was looking at just before the MySQL fun started, some users were saying it was 1 sP per post; others were making it sound like the sP amount could vary. I'm not sure which is a more reliable data point, but at least the first wouldn't change the state of the economy much. I'll only be annoyed if this significantly skews sP-earning potential toward heavy forum-users. Otherwise... don't care. I go on the boards 1. for 100 posts (Blue Building), 2. to level up my Valenth adoptables. That's it. The boards are kind of chaotic anyway, and this isn't going to help.
Huggles
Feral Koala

Post by Huggles »

No. Honestly, Wtf? It runs counter to almost everything I want in a forum. I simply cannot fathom why anyone would think this is a good idea, when we had lengthy discussions on even displaying post counts here. Does the internet really need more mindless chatter? Does Subeta need another pointless and stupid way to earn sp? What about making games somewhat profitable? There's next to nothing worth bothering to play in the games room. How about giving sp rewards for producing thoughtful content? Let's go back and steal some good ideas from Neopets. Make spotlights for galleries, pets, lookups, art, limericks, anything!
Iggy

Post by Iggy »

What about making games somewhat profitable?
I got 7K from Random recently. :)
Monkeyguy

Post by Monkeyguy »

I'm about 90% sure the forums used to give out sP for posts and I'm wondering why it stopped and why they feel the need to bring it back.

Of course I could be confusing Subeta with Gaia as I used to play Gaia around the same time as I started on Subeta.
Image Image Image
Seerow

Post by Seerow »

I was reading the forums right before the site decided it wanted to die, and apparently it did use to give out SP but Keith took it down because it was a strain on the servers. I'm not sure why they would add it back if it was such a strain then, and there's more users now. The site has enough trouble staying up as is. Of course that could be a moot point as maybe it is coded differently so its not much of a strain, but seeing as the site's been down almost all evening I'm not so sure.

I agree with Huggles, that games need to be tweaked so they are actually worthwhile. Random was a step in the right direction with the increased payout, but I think the rest of the games are still not worth playing.
Slugawoo

Post by Slugawoo »

They tried this once before and I can't say I noticed much more spam/stupid conversations than there was to begin with. :\ But Subeta was a lot smaller back then and there wasn't as many, and forgive me for using the term, n00bs.

I don't see how it would contribute to more spam if it's such a minimal amount of sP. Even if the games hardly reward pocket change, it's still more profitable than 1-5 sP per post.

On the other hand, why the hell would they impliment something like this if you can't even make a decent profit off it, anyways? Why waste time coding something so useless, and quite possibly, spam-inducing?

I don't really mind, as I couldn't care less about the forums, but... Seriously, this is what they're wasting time coding? When they could be fixing all the bugs? D: What the hell?
Saturn

Post by Saturn »

I... honestly don't see the point. o_O If it's really just 1sP or so per post then you'd have to make god knows how many thousand posts just to make the same amount you could possibly win just by playing Random. Doesn't seem like it'd help at all to be honest; sounds more like giving people an excuse to spam. It... just seems like such a pointless thing to add, to be honest.

*shrug* Not that it matters much to me; I already have my 100 posts for the BB and the only thing I use the forums for nowadays is showing off HAs and feeding people's adoptables.
DoMeRight

Post by DoMeRight »

I don't think this is a good idea either. Why promote spam?
People are going to post on the forums if they want to socialize, you don't have to give people an incentive to jack their jaws, lots of people like to talk to and to meet new people. And there are some who are less social. If you are going to reward those who socialize on Subeta, then it's only fair to reward those countless others who don't, but who support the site silently.
I don't know how you would do that and I have no suggestions for it, but still... you shouldn't leave 85%?(I'm assuming that the vast majority of users don't even post after they receive their 100 required for the Blue Building) of the Subeta population feeling left out just because they prefer to play the game "alone".

One more thing I hope I never log onto Subeta to see, is this in the News:

"The amount of sP you get for posting in the forums will be determined by your + or - ratings you earn from other users" .....please, no.
"May you see the world through your own eyes, may you seek your own truth." ~Me
Just a little prayer for all of you.
mellaka
Human Avatar: 48736

Post by mellaka »

Ah, OK, I thought that I remembered Subeta giving points for posting, but I wasn't sure.

I pretty much only go to the battle forum, which is usually dead, so I don't think it will affect my experience on the site much. It does seem a little pointless to me though.
Jessi
Human Avatar: 155904

Post by Jessi »

If it's only 1 SP per post, it honestly makes me hate it more - what a stupid waste of time. Like Seerow said, what's the point of putting strain on the server over something like this?

In fact, it irritates me MORE, because they took away our stupid avatars cause it was SUCH a big server strain, wah! But they want to add something like this. Meh.
shaelyn76
Human Avatar: 185309

Post by shaelyn76 »

Jessibean wrote:If it's only 1 SP per post, it honestly makes me hate it more - what a stupid waste of time. Like Seerow said, what's the point of putting strain on the server over something like this?

In fact, it irritates me MORE, because they took away our stupid avatars cause it was SUCH a big server strain, wah! But they want to add something like this. Meh.

QFT

I visit the forums every now and again and I see no need to pay us for posting. Especially if it is a paltry 1sP that does nothing to help the economy and seems to only add strain to the servers. I guess I just don't see the point in it.

P.S. I miss the small avatars in news comments still. :(
Subeta Neopets
Click my dragons?Image
Seerow

Post by Seerow »

DoMeRight wrote:"The amount of sP you get for posting in the forums will be determined by your + or - ratings you earn from other users" .....please, no.
People started suggesting this on the forums. I hope to god Keith has enough sense not to do this. You know people just will +1 their friends/popular users/staff and -1 people they just plain don't like, regardless if the person actually deserved the -1.
If they are going to keep this system, make the payout same for everyone, its the only remotely fair way to do it.