The "Free Shop"...

For discussion of the Subeta pet site, including new colours and other features.
Mayhem
Human Avatar: 168272

The "Free Shop"...

Post by Mayhem »

A good solution to the DC problems? I don't think so.

Even though it restocks intermittently, everyone will immediately go for the good stuff first. With the giveaways being done in the Donation Corner, everyone had a fair enough chance because it was random.

I don't see how this couldn't have been solved by having someone stick around (there is ALWAYS at least one or two staff on at any given time, yeah?) and drop in some desirable items here and there at various points during the day. The main mistake with the DC is that they put everything in all at once, so when the good stuff really was gone, that's when the bitching started.

This does not seem like a good solution, in my opinion. And according to comments in the news post, it doesn't appear there's any sort of time limit.

edit: About 40 items restocked and literally within seconds, they were gone. I have a damn fast connection and couldn't even snap a single thing up. I miss the DC, at least then I could sit and deliberate for a sec before trying to grab something.

I realize this is probably due to so many people obsessively refreshing there right now, but still. It's turned into the Donation Tree on Neopets, where you can rarely grab anything! Way to go.
Varicolored on Subeta
ImageImageImageImageImage
Officer 1BDI
Human Avatar: 150891

Re: The "Free Shop"...

Post by Officer 1BDI »

I said this in the news comments already, but I don't think I understand how this shop works. When I clicked on an item to receive it (some sort of usually cheap-ish Donadak toy), it asked me for at least 3000 sP and the verification code, like the other shops do. And then I missed the item anyway because I didn't type fast enough. Is this not the free shop or am I missing something really obvious?

Otherwise, I'm now waiting to see how this plays out before I say I'm for or against it. I'm hoping thing'll go smoother once the enthusiasm dies down a bit.
Mayhem

Post by Mayhem »

You know, I had that issue too. But then I discovered I was mysteriously in the Bean Bag Shop? I have no idea, I KNOW I was refreshing at the Free Shop. :/
Varicolored on Subeta
Jessi
Human Avatar: 155904

Post by Jessi »

ugh, I think the worst part about this is, if you got something out of the Donations Center, you couldn't get anything else for 5 minutes - there's really not a whole lot stopping you here (what is the restock lag, like, 5 seconds?). What a stupid idea >> it'd be a lot easier to uh, just make a giveaway a bit slower and last a bit longer >>
Slugawoo

Post by Slugawoo »

This may be fairer to people in different time zones, but now it's unfair to people with a slow connection. :\ This is definitely not the best solution.

And the 5 minute time limit's gone. There's nothing stopping anyone with a fast connection and l33t typing skills(assuming you still have to type in a word) from snatching up a bunch of good items.

I still don't see what was wrong with the Donation Center. Would it really have been so hard to put good items in at a moderate pace instead of all at once? Really?
Saturn

Post by Saturn »

What kind of items are showing up? I can see this being a little bit more fair if there's more rare items coming in (since they're harder to get now), but if it's all red balls and crap like with the DC then... wow, that sucks. X_x
Mayhem

Post by Mayhem »

I've seen some Cash Shop items, like the wigs and stuff. And those two items unique to the shop itself, the rest has been junky though.
Varicolored on Subeta
klaatu99

Post by klaatu99 »

Looks like I won't have much of a chance at this kind of giveaway either. I'm on slow dialup, and restocking is a enough of a pain for me when there *aren't* 4000 other people trying to grab items from the shop. I know I'll never be able to get anything (not even the cheap crap) from this new system.
Feed Us Please!

KlaatuWolf on Subeta
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Post by AngharadTy »

So... you have to type in that code word to get an item? I can't express how crappy that is. I hate the words; they're going to make giveaways frustrating, just like restocking is.

Instead of the "yay, I got something!" it'll be "thank GOD that I snagged it THAT time" and "dammit!! I missed it!! Did I type too slowly??"
Image Image
Huggles
Feral Koala

Post by Huggles »

I apparently made it in during a restock, and saw 3 humming power crystals. Clicked, they were gone and was sent back to the shops main page. I hate that. Went back and nearly everything was gone. Clicked on a watermelon slice or something, and then it asked for money. I am also confused. I typed in the exact amount and the code, and it told me I had bid too much. So I assume you're supposed to type 0 for the amount? I agree that so far, this is a dumb, redundant, and over complicated alternative to the donation center. Just randomize the amount and rarity of items that show up, over time, during official donation events instead. That's it.
Seerow
Human Avatar: 155383

Post by Seerow »

I agree with all of the above, I HATE this. This isn't the answer to anything, especially not how the way giveaways are run. I could see it being a /bit/ better if they didn't have the codes. The item is free...why should we have to type in a code?

I saw about 8 items rs when it first opened, and all of them were gone in the span of two refreshes. At least with the DC giveaways there's thousands of items and you get your own little personal set of 9 (well not your own personal, but it seems that way). I can't see me getting anything worthwhile or otherwise if all the giveaways are going to be like this from now on. I'm not a slow typer by any means, but I'm not one of the l33t restockers either.
Wanna donate towards my drink gallery, the Golden Goblet.
Griffin
Human Avatar: 156329

Post by Griffin »

I saw a Pilus Sunset Wig but it was gone when I clicked it. Then I shrugged and went back to doing other things. I agree this measure isn't an improvement, but I'm not too worked up after the last fiasco.
mellaka
Human Avatar: 48736

Post by mellaka »

Hmm basically I click on something, it lags, I maybe get to the code screen, it lags some more, then I'm told it's sold out. I go back to the shop and everything else is gone.

I appreciate that Keith is trying to think of a more fair way to do the giveaways, but this kind of took all the fun out of it ... at least for people like me who are mediocre restockers at best. Thanks Keith but I hope you reconsider again.
WisteriaLynx
Human Avatar: 319191

Post by WisteriaLynx »

... Yeah. Echoing a bunch of above sentiments, here. Seeing as my computer lags like crazy in loading pages, I'm screwed in these things from now on. Now it just favours those with uberquick connections instead of those who get to the giveaway first. :| Not to mention with so little items and so much competition, the fun-factor kind of takes a nosedive.

At least this explains why all the shops earlier wouldn't work unless you paid 0 sP for the item.
Alicorn
Human Avatar: 160932

Post by Alicorn »

I like that Keith is trying to fair up the giveaway and give everyone a chance. But like others, I don't find this a good way. While now all timezones get a chance at free stuff, now people with slow internet or laggy computers don't have a chance. People with faster internet/computer or faster fingers will get all the stuff. Also, like said by a couple others, in the DC once you got something, you had to wait 5 minutes before you could get another thing. Giving other people a chance to grab things and makeing it less likely a greedy person could grab all the good things in one go. With this, said greedy person can do that. If they are going to do this, they should make it where when someone grabs something from the shop, they can't grab another thing for X amount of time. Like in the token shop or millionare center. That way it fairs it up a bit. And like others, I don't like haveing to type the stupid confirm word in. Makes it to much like restocking and takes the whole fun of free stuff out of it. But I must admit it was a nice try trying to fair things up and please everyone. Hopefully they can rework it where everyone is happy, or atleast close enough since you can never please everyone.
Sig/Av by: thelonetiel