The Hair Salon

For discussion of the Subeta pet site, including new colours and other features.
Tom
Human Avatar: 231218

The Hair Salon

Post by Tom »

I'd been seeing a few new hairstyles and hair colours popping up around the site, and apparently, from what little information I've found, it's down to a new feature, called The Hair Salon, being beta tested by GA members. Being a non-GA member, I was wondering if anyone here could provide a bit more information? It looks quite interesting.
Subeta: Thomas
hebdenhippy
Human Avatar: 235278

Re: The Hair Salon

Post by hebdenhippy »

It's quite cool really, you can basically choose any colour you want for every hairstyle. You choose colours with an eyedropper tool thing so you can get any colour you want. But you can also choose different colours for highlights and the tips of the hair etc
mellaka
Human Avatar: 48736

Post by mellaka »

It looks cool but, like the Tanning Salon, does not work in IE ...
Teera

Post by Teera »

Do you have the latest version of IE? I got the salon to work just fine for me. What doesn't work for you specifically?
Officer 1BDI
Human Avatar: 150891

Post by Officer 1BDI »

I'm using Firefox 3 and it works beautifully (although it takes a few seconds for each color to load onto the hair). [s]Unfortunately it deletes your HA's outfit every time you load the page, but I think Keith said he was trying to fix this.[/s] Nevermind.

Here's a screenshot of the area: linked for size.

It also will cost more than 1 sP to change your hair color once this goes live; Keith didn't want the beta testers to pay tons of money while testing things out.

ETA: How color selection works.
Tom
Human Avatar: 231218

Post by Tom »

That actually looks rather awesome. Are all the hairstyles currently available? And do you possibly know what the new ones are called?
Subeta: Thomas
Officer 1BDI
Human Avatar: 150891

Post by Officer 1BDI »

The "new" ones are just revamped versions of the old ones, I think, but I'll double-check. And the only three hairstyles that are currently missing are Supermodel, Emohawk, and Goldilocks.

ETA: Ah, you're right. Here're the new hairstyles:

Image Image Image
Beyu, Braids, and Semblance
Last edited by Officer 1BDI on 11 Sep 2008 12:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
Griffin
Human Avatar: 156329

Post by Griffin »

The new ones are Beyu, Braids, and Semblance, all girl styles (of course). Some of the noticably revamped styles include Buzzcut, Dreads, Feather, Flick, Mia, Starlet, Suga, Regent, maybe some others.

It's potentially awesome, but I find it frustrating to use. Working with five vague "highlights" is a long process of trial and error and most of my results look pretty bad so far. Someone will post a guide to good combinations eventually and that'll take the pain out of it.
mellaka
Human Avatar: 48736

Post by mellaka »

Teera wrote:Do you have the latest version of IE? I got the salon to work just fine for me. What doesn't work for you specifically?
I was using IE7, but now am at home where I use Opera so I can't say whether it woould work for me in IE now or not. But I couldn't get a hairstyle to load to try out any colors or anything, even after sitting on the page for 5 minutes two different times.
Teera

Post by Teera »

Well, after you choose the hairstyle you want, you should click the base color box. After you select a color for the base, the hair should show up. You may have to do this every time you choose one from the drop-down list.

Braids is actually a revamp, I think only Semblance and Beyu are new. Pretty much every hairstyle got a bit of an update(some of the shading and lineart on the original versions didn't gel with the new system, so they had to be re-shaded.)
WisteriaLynx
Human Avatar: 319191

Post by WisteriaLynx »

Ooh, this looks like quite a fun potential timewaster when it goes live, and two of those new hairstyles are perfect for a couple of my characters that I've been unable to make HAs for as of yet. And so much potential for creating so many interesting shade/highlight combos!

... of course, it'll take me at least five tries of completely screwing up first, but what the hey. :3 Has anything been mentioned about how long it'll be in beta?
Huggles
Feral Koala

Post by Huggles »

If braids is a revamp, I like it much better. Still, there aren't any more dreds or multi braids or fro styles that don't look silly. I pout.
Goldenchaos

Post by Goldenchaos »

I had done the old ass braids. They looked shitty. Lol, whatevs. I don't see myself using this(Pretty cool, since we don't have to delete our avatars)..not because I don't like it, but because I like my current hairstyle..D:
Image Image
ImageImage
Usul_Princess

Post by Usul_Princess »

Huggles wrote:If braids is a revamp, I like it much better. Still, there aren't any more dreds or multi braids or fro styles that don't look silly. I pout.

....Me too! *grumble* My default hairstyle was the old 'flirt'. The big fluffy 1960's bob, that one and 'Messy' look the most ethnic. But now it looks 'rained on'. So now my default hairstyle is 'goldilocks' with a hat or accessory on it because it looks the most "natural" I guess. But these new limp-hair redraws do nothing for me. They all look like wigs, and maybe that's what they were aiming for.
ImageImage

Thank you TCStarwind for the lovely signature! ^_^

FC bets: http://www.neopets.com/~DazedBoy
TCStarwind
Human Avatar: 99635

Post by TCStarwind »

I was wondering what the hell was going on when I saw weird hair colors in the news comments. XD Very cool. I'm tempted to buy a GA and try it out.