New Feature: Achievements

For discussion of the Subeta pet site, including new colours and other features.
Saturn

New Feature: Achievements

Post by Saturn »

Remember how Subeta used to have secret avatars like Neopets? Well, they're back, in the form of little icons that can be displayed under your HA on the forums.

Here's the forum thread where people are posting how to get them:

http://subeta.net/forums/view/360315

Anyway, I kinda missed the old secret avs and I'm glad to have them back, hopefully there won't be too many requiring a specific item (thus causing inflation) though. There aren't any like that yet, though...
mellaka
Human Avatar: 48736

Re: New Feature: Achievements

Post by mellaka »

It seems like a step backwards to me, though it also makes me miss how we could have custom avatars for some types of postings.

It also made me think of "Achievements" on Twin Skies though that's probably just a coincidence.

And thanks for the link.
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Post by AngharadTy »

People are saying that you get the experiment ones by zapping a pet into them. Urgh, I hope not. I *have* an 84 already, I don't want to re-zap him, he's very important to me. Hopefully they'll make it so you can get the achievement for just having it, because that's the only one I care about so far.

edit: I bet they won't, because then that'd create "avatar pets." But I hate having to re-achieve something I've already achieved. I even had two 84s before, when I zapped Apokali, before the keepsake boxes came out.
Image Image
Saturn

Post by Saturn »

Wait, you don't get the achievement if you already HAVE the pet? That sucks. :( I was hoping they'd make an Experiment 404 one but it took me FOREVER to zap Atomsk into one and I don't want to go through that again. D:

Though it might be a good incentive for me to take up zapping again...
Goldenchaos

Post by Goldenchaos »

..have they fixed the zappers though? :| Considering how it sometimes give you the blank page , and eats your token.
Image Image
ImageImage
Seerow
Human Avatar: 155383

Post by Seerow »

It sucks that you have to zap the pet yourself, though my guess would be that it is a way for Keith to get some tokens out of the economy. Kinda smart actually, even if it screws over people who already have said experiment pet :(
Wanna donate towards my drink gallery, the Golden Goblet.
Bif

Post by Bif »

May I suggest that we have a trade and sticker swap system on Neocolours?

There are two icons that I think will be a little bit difficult to achieve for people like me who don't really have any friends on Subeta.

Image- Have someone send you a sticker, and look at your sticker album (may also work if you view someone else’s album)

Image - Accept an offer on a trade.

I propose that those who are interested put up a trade of the sticker which they WANT in their album (so you don't get stuck with unattractive ones) and then someone on Neocolours offers say 1sP for it, and then sends it back to you. Thus, you have just achieved both icons. Then you switch roles.

I realise that this will mean trusting those on Neocolours, but as things such as the 'lending wearables' thread has shown, that doesn't seem to be much on an issue.

What do you think?

EDIT: If you don't want to spend real money to get the Cash Shop icon, then you can just buy one of the Gift Cards with sP and then use it.

EDIT2: My username is Bif425 and my trade is Lot #3589288
bonecrivain
Incorrigible Bookworm
Human Avatar: 157826

Post by bonecrivain »

That's a good idea, although I don't know if there are any stickers I actually want. Hmm. I shall have to look into this.
Jessi
Human Avatar: 155904

Post by Jessi »

Blah. The only thing this did was make me angry that we can't have our little custom avatars anymore.
Wingsrising
Human Avatar: 157670

Post by Wingsrising »

I'm sort of underwhelmed. Woo, we have avatars! Woo, now avatars are gone in favor of HAs! Woo, now totally different avatars are back (all the work we did for the first avatars having been more or less lost)!
Huggles
Feral Koala

Post by Huggles »

If ever insane maniacal laughter was an appropriate response, it would be to this. Ha ha ha HAAHAHAHA! Really, wtf? I can't help but think that they saw that the trend of achievement awards in the gaming world and thought it'd be a swell idea to jump on the bandwagon without ever stopping to realize what they were doing. I know Keith said custom avatars make the server cry, but it makes my brain hurt trying to understand why the Subeta ones were taken away in the first place. Not to mention that the setup for displaying them is incredibly awkward and redundant. Signatures can be huge there, and there's also custom text images, then of course human avatars take up space, and now inhuman avatars(achievements) take up even more space. I rarely post or even read the forums after getting my Blue Building access, but this certainly doesn't provide me any incentive to start now. Someone can literally post one sentence and have their post take up 80% of the page with visual clutter.
lavender
Human Avatar: 168295

Post by lavender »

Hahaha... I just went and did the easy ones. I had plenty of cash shop credit, so I bought another DP and hey, looky there:
You open your August 2008 Donation Present and find...

Glowing Sapphire

Back to your items!
Whoot! ::galleried::
{neopets: _lavender} ImageImage Image {subeta: lavenderkennedy}
Farseek

Post by Farseek »

I really hate this feature. I don't wan't to collect avatars on Subeta. I did far too much of that on Neopets.
Plus they only show up on the forums which I never post on since I got into the Blue Building so what is the point?
Not all who wander are lost.
shaelyn76
Human Avatar: 185309

Post by shaelyn76 »

I really don't care either way about this new feature. The new "achievement" icons are pretty and all, but the forums already look cluttered enough with the HAs and everyone's forum stuff. Seeing these just makes me miss my old custom avvies again too. Eh...if it helps get more traffic onto Subeta than I guess it is all good since the site has been rather ghost townish for the last few months.
Subeta Neopets
Click my dragons?Image
bonecrivain
Incorrigible Bookworm
Human Avatar: 157826

Post by bonecrivain »

I agree that it's a bit of a silly idea, and I wouldn't be surprised if they suddenly yanked all the icons a few months/weeks down the line. But I kind of like it, just because it gives me something simple to do to maintain a little bit more activity on the site. I never have been as attached to Subeta as I was to Neopets once upon a time, and I think that's largely due to the fact that there's nothing to DO on Subeta. I play one game (Tiles) regularly and stopped bothering with quests once they became more difficult and less profitable. Obviously collecting icons I'll never use isn't the best way to regain my interest, but at least it's a little bit of something.