New Feature: Achievements

For discussion of the Subeta pet site, including new colours and other features.
shadowgem
Human Avatar: 71636

Re: New Feature: Achievements

Post by shadowgem »

Alicorn wrote:I'm confused on the Legacy ones. I know I achieved a good chunk of them but they are all greyed out on me. Ah well.
You have to go here to "activate" your Legacy achievements.
neopets (still full of fail) ~:~ subeta
Avatar drawn for me by Subeta user SHOZZYKiNS
Alicorn
Human Avatar: 160932

Post by Alicorn »

shadowgem wrote:
Alicorn wrote:I'm confused on the Legacy ones. I know I achieved a good chunk of them but they are all greyed out on me. Ah well.
You have to go here to "activate" your Legacy achievements.
Oh! Thanks so much for that. That's much better. I total forgot about having to go to that page. **thumps head** ^-^'
Sig/Av by: thelonetiel
lavender
Human Avatar: 168295

Post by lavender »

Vending Maniac!
Vend 20,000 items from the Vending Machines!
2,498/20,000
Wtf? When (and why) did this get changed? Having a tier that goes from 1000 to 20,000? That's stupid.
{neopets: _lavender} ImageImage Image {subeta: lavenderkennedy}
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Post by AngharadTy »

Oh HAYLL no. I'm not going to bother anymore. 20,000, good god. Because 5,000 wasn't already taking enough of my life.

It wasn't 20k yesterday, if my sense of time is right (and admittedly it seldom is).
Image Image
bonecrivain
Incorrigible Bookworm
Human Avatar: 157826

Post by bonecrivain »

It was 20k last night, although I'm not certain when it changed. I thought there was a prize at the next tier...2,500, maybe? I wasn't terribly close to it, but it was still much closer than 20,000. And I don't see a prize for that ridiculous tier, so I'm a little confused.
Huggles
Feral Koala

Post by Huggles »

I just clicked on the My Pets link and I think it just gave me the pet stat achievement notice for each one of my qualifying pets. Weird.
Seerow
Human Avatar: 155383

Post by Seerow »

Actually, the 20k vending was released on the 25th, with a few others such as tiles, Decanter, creating something at the genetech lab, and finding an Oofa fruit.
Though it doesn't show, apparently the 10k tier is still there with the prize. Not like it really matters to me, I'm not going to vend that much anytime soon.
Wanna donate towards my drink gallery, the Golden Goblet.
Rah

Post by Rah »

Yeah, people have still been getting the 10k vend achievement and the prize, so I'm sure it's still there. I suppose it's just glitched at the moment.
Iggy

Post by Iggy »

10k achievement and prize should show up when you do get 10 000.

And, I instagot the 20 000 one and was hoping there was nothing after, like a 50 000 one.
Kamil
Not the nice one
Human Avatar: 72834

Post by Kamil »

I instagot the 20k achievement as well, and got the 25k last night. I don't think there's another after that one - at least not yet - but like Iggy I hope it's not a jump to 50k with nothing in between.

I wouldn't have hated another prize for 20k - or 25k - but I suppose leaving the prize at the 10k mark is alright. Gives people who don't vend for a living something nice, and reachable, to work towards.
Image Image
MM and Twofold rock, yo.
klaatu99

Post by klaatu99 »

A bunch of new achievements have just been released, but this one kindof sticks in my craw...
Richest User
Be the richest user on the site.
While most of the others, I can see maybe getting eventually, this one is outright unfair.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Feed Us Please!

KlaatuWolf on Subeta
Iggy

Post by Iggy »

I don't see how unfair it is, honestly. :) Being the richest user onsite is a HELL of an achievement.
Goldenchaos

Post by Goldenchaos »

Its stupid. One one person can get that, or..two? ..rofl.
Image Image
ImageImage
Ierosbats

Post by Ierosbats »

Iggy wrote:I don't see how unfair it is, honestly. :) Being the richest user onsite is a HELL of an achievement.
Yes, but... being the richest person on the site is an achievement in itself. If you have more money than literally every other player on the site do you really need to be rewarded even further? As far as I'm concerned being a billionaire is enough of a prize and you shouldn't need an Achievement to know you're doing well. I've seen people on the forums claiming that the Achievement gives the user(s) "the recognition he or she deserves for working so hard" but... come on. If you're a billionaire and can buy whatever the hell you want you should be recognized in other ways, either by always having great HAs, nice pets with lots of treasures, great battledome stats or a gallery filled with pretty, expensive things. Those things imply you're filthy, stinking rich. Much more effective than giving people a little blue box that outright says "I'm filthy, stinking rich."

Plus, Keith said on the forums that he just expects people will pool their money to get it and that's why it doesn't have a prize. It's just another Achievement for elite users to show off how many rich friends they have.

Why not create Achievements that people have to get themselves based on skill? The new Dark Matter Dice Achievements are pathetically low. Really? A tier for five points? You get five points just by STARTING A GAME and clicking the scratch option. How about a tier for getting 80 points, or a hundred? I couldn't get those kinds of scores when I started playing the game a few months ago but I've practiced and now it's no big deal. It shows I've invested time in the site, not that I just have a bunch of rich friends willing to lend me their expensive crap.

I think the new questing Achievements are great additions. They're tasks you have to do yourself and most of them take a few days. Again, it shows an investment in the site. What's more likely to motivate me to play every day? An Achievement for doing 50 library quests (doable in under a week if I play every day) or an Achievement for saving up 2 billion sP (doable in... well, never)?

The Achievement system is a great opportunity to add prizes (and by that I just mean the Achievements themselves, not literal prizes, although those never hurt) to areas of the site that don't give you a lot of motivation to play. I play Dark Matter Dice for fun, not for profit. The sP you get is basically nothing. If you add Achievements it gives people another reason to spend time on that feature. I don't think people need any extra motivation to have a lot of money. If you have a site filled with lots of nice items (which Subeta is) then that happens on its own.
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.
Rah

Post by Rah »

Ierosbats wrote:What's more likely to motivate me to play every day? An Achievement for doing 50 library quests (doable in under a week if I play every day) or an Achievement for saving up 2 billion sP (doable in... well, never)?
I'd get this if there wasn't any quest achievements - but there are, and those are the ones you've chosen to get. That is the maximum amount of time you have chosen to invest in getting a single achievement. Not everyone is /supposed/ to get all the achievements. And unlike some of the achievements that were literally impossible for some people to get (survive to stage 7 of the love infection being one of them. I was infected before that even came out) this one IS possible. It's just very very hard. If I sold my entire gallery and lived my subeta life like the people that got this achievement genuinely do (single pets, no treasure chests, no expensive paint jobs etc, no buying EVERYTHING I saw), I'd be able to get it myself. But I've set myself different goals. For some people, getting that achievement is their goal and they'll work super hard to get it - and for some people, it does seem ridiculous. But the people that think it's ridiculous and not worth even trying for are the not the people it was made for. I mean, I think it's ridiculously hard - so I'm not going to try to get it. But I like that it's there. I certainly think it counts as an achievement to be the richest user on the site. And other people having a little blue box saying so certainly doesn't make my life any different.

There are some people that really want goals like these.