New Feature: Achievements

For discussion of the Subeta pet site, including new colours and other features.
Ierosbats

Re: New Feature: Achievements

Post by Ierosbats »

AngharadTy wrote:This does not negate the argument.
Uhh... since when? If you can't see things they don't exist? Right?

...right?
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.
bonecrivain
Incorrigible Bookworm
Human Avatar: 157826

Post by bonecrivain »

I think the achievements system demonstrates the problem with Subeta as a whole--there isn't actually that much to do. The achievements have temporarily revitalized my interest in certain areas of the site -- I enjoyed playing with stocks today, for example -- because I like having new tasks to do and being able to see the boxes get colored in. It makes me feel like I'm actually accomplishing something. But so much of Subeta is reliant on luck and/or a LOT of clicking. It tends to either become frustrating, or tiring.

I understand that being the richest user on Subeta is a pretty big deal, and I don't mind having some sort of recognition for that. After all, if you are going to invest so much time in the site, why shouldn't you be rewarded? Except...the users who have 2 BILLION SP already have a pretty tangible reward. They can basically do ANYTHING THEY WANT on the site. And they already have a lot of achievements geared specifically toward them. They can delete a 400 million sp weapon. They can create legendaries. They can collect any number of ridiculously expensive items and obtain a variety of achievements for that. I don't understand the point of this richest user achievement, especially if it's not actually going to be given to THE richest user, but merely shared between a select group of very wealthy users who already have everything they could possibly want on Subeta. It doesn't feel like they're being given more to do. It feels like an extra-special clique is being nurtured, and of course that's irritating. That's always irritating, whether that happens at school, in the workplace, on a virtual pet site...
Rah wrote:I feel like subeta is catering to some minority players here...purely because there is very little else for the minority to do.

.... It's not another way for the richest users to become cool or popular, it's just another thing for them to do.

I also understand that everyone gets bored on Subeta at a certain point--you eventually run out of things to do, even if you play every "game" and complete every quest, and not everyone enjoys spending all their waking hours in the forums.

Except, as far as I can see, checking your vault and immediately getting a new achievement doesn't actually give you much more to do on the site. It just shows that you've already done everything you possibly CAN do. It doesn't seem like adding achievements that take very little time to collect is the best way to maintain someone's interest in the site. If that's the only thing that you can think to add, that's actually kind of sad.

I think part of what makes these new rich-user achievements so irritating is the fact that the achievement system is one of the very few things that keeps Subeta interesting on a daily basis. I enjoy the holiday events--even though they generally turn into mere clickfests as well--but I have to say, Subeta is downright dull at other times. I honestly don't know why I spend so much time on the site. There's actually very little for ANYONE to do, not just the minority. So why add more achievements that only a certain group of people will ever be able to accomplish? Even if I spend all of my time on Subeta, there's no way I'll ever be able to earn 2 billion sp, unless I also invest a lot of cash that I don't have. It seems more productive to add things that will add to the enjoyment of the majority.

What about transforming the Games section into actual games, rather than using it as the "catch-all" area? There aren't many games that require actual skill, and that's one of the things that I have missed since I left Neopets.

I also really like Topher's idea of adding things to encourage working on your profile, or your pets' stories. I would love to see spotlights added. You don't necessarily need to add an achievement for them; even if I didn't enter immediately, I would enjoy seeing other people's entries.

And as far as not seeing our arguments...maybe that's because you're not actually reading them? Here's a quick summation of what I said in the previous paragraphs:

"IT'S. NOT. FUUUUUUUUUUUUN."
Rah

Post by Rah »

Actually, a lot of the richest users don't HAVE anything. Mostly pure and some good weapons. They'll have one pet (for battling, pretty much), they don't focus on treasure chests, they don't care about pet colours. They haven't already bought everything - in fact, it's their obsessive saving that prevents them from doing so. They may have the richest user achievement, but they don't have so many of the other achievements that the pet lovers of subeta has. They don't have beautiful galleries, or 20 pet characters to have fun designing the characters of.

That's why I PERSONALLY don't care about them having that achievement. It's their 'prize' for following what they love doing on subeta (bein' rich!). My prize is the 'full house' achievements, the treasure chest achievements etc. And of course just having my account the way I want it.

I think there's a very good chance that I COULD be one of the richest users if I sold everything I owned now. But again, my goals lie elsewhere.

You know, I think the achievements that people have go towards showing what kind of subeta player they are. The people who have the most are the 'glory-seeking' kind of players. People like me focus on pet achievements. Some people will just focus on battle achievements. It's really not a requisite to go for them all, but to just go for the ones that are all about what you're all about.
Jessi
Human Avatar: 155904

Post by Jessi »

Personally, I'm just not fond of the achievements system in general e_e I get ones that are easy for me to get, but I think it could really be improved on. And I would love to see features added to the site BESIDES achievements. Something that puts a little bit of focus back on the pets, for one thing, would be wonderful. Some new games would be good too. I know Keith wants to avoid flash games, but based on the games Subeta already has, it'd be awesome if it even had some card games programmed in! I know I love sitting around mindlessly playing Solitaire and Hearts on Windows xD It'd be a good money-sink too, something I know Keith has been looking for - and of course a good chance to get some different prizes out into circulation.

The achievement system is for the most part rather dull. I'm sure there are people out there obsessed with getting all achievements ever... but I really think Subeta needs something to keep people interested besides just doing x-amount of wizard's quests or saving x-amount of money. I would love to see fresh ideas implemented instead of the same rather droll achievements.
bonecrivain
Incorrigible Bookworm
Human Avatar: 157826

Post by bonecrivain »

Rah wrote:You know, I think the achievements that people have go towards showing what kind of subeta player they are. The people who have the most are the 'glory-seeking' kind of players. People like me focus on pet achievements. Some people will just focus on battle achievements. It's really not a requisite to go for them all, but to just go for the ones that are all about what you're all about.
The achievement system was designed to encourage everyone to get as many as possible. Why else would there be a count placed in your information, and under your name when you post in the forums? How you choose to use it is, of course, personal preference, but I find it difficult to accept your continued attempts to argue that it isn't the case.

You've already said that the richest users aren't getting extra achievements because they want to be popular or elite, but now you're saying that trying for as many achievements as you want is "glory-seeking"? I think you're stepping on your own toes here, and for some inexplicable reason, trying to defend only the tiniest, most cash-happy section of the Subeta populace.

I like the idea of card games, too. One of my favorite games on Neopets was Pyramids...I spent hours upon hours mindlessly clicking on that game. It was fun! Tiles is fun (kinda), but there are time limits. The rest of the games are....not really at all.
Iggy

Post by Iggy »

I'll definitely concede that the forum posts Achievements are true accomplishments because I can't even imagine having the patience to deal with that place for thousands of posts.
Ahahahah

They're actually not that bad! I am second (Only to Keith grrrr rawr rawr bark bark)in High Scores for that, and it took me a couple years, yes, but I barely ever post in user run games and stuff like that. The hard part is to make all posts worthwhile, and honestly, I would have liked an achievement for being in the high score table for that as much as a 15K tier. :)

There are quests achievements I will never, never get. Why? Because I don't quest, I snipe and resell. Or, I buy from the CSC sometimes. I don't borrow things, I was offered the 250M achievement, the Malice one, and such, but declined, because achievements are mine to get. Like, if there was achievements for owning X pet, I wouldn't loan mine.

But, if people want to play that way, have them do it. They're more dedicated than I am, and I have no peeve with this.
Seerow
Human Avatar: 155383

Post by Seerow »

Stocks are starting to piss me off. I was attempting to get the stock achievements, but my stocks keep going bankrupt. Roughly half an hour ago one of them was around 30ish, and now I come back to find a note saying it was bankrupt. What the hell, how does it go from thirty to zero that quickly. I thought Keith just fixed them? Is this the fixed version or are they still being tweaked 0_o
Wanna donate towards my drink gallery, the Golden Goblet.
Tom
Human Avatar: 231218

Post by Tom »

I'm loving the new stocks. I managed to get my total portfolio to a total 7.5 mil for an achievement by just investing large amounts daily (usually 3000 - 5000 stocks) in the low price stocks, up to about 30 sP, and waiting on the prices. My batch of 3000 Minion Market was purchased at 6 sP, but rocket to about 1200 sP per stock - it's just a matter of patience, really. One batch of my 3000 today went bankrupt, but compared to the amounts you can make, it's no big deal.

I am currently working on my upwards motions - the advice I read on the forums was to buy as low as possible, and if a stock drops lower than what you purchased it for, buy one more stock in it - this will change the purchase price, so that if the price increases, you'll have a bigger upwards motion than before. If you have a large number of stocks, sell all but one when they're high enough for you. I'm hoping The Minion Market stays up high so at least I have a chance to get the 10k. xD I think that makes sense. Some of the bugs, like when you try to purchase a stock, but it's at its old price, annoy me however and I hope they're ironed out soon. Don't have much hope though, as I guess it isn't really a high priority.
Subeta: Thomas
mellaka
Human Avatar: 48736

Post by mellaka »

My portfolio went from about +4700 gain/worth 11 million sp to negative growth and worth 2 mil sp in the matter of 3 hours the other day, so yeah, I haven't been too happy with it and am reluctant to spend any more on it.
Goldenchaos

Post by Goldenchaos »

lawl, mine went bankrupt. lol. wtf
Image Image
ImageImage
Seerow

Post by Seerow »

New achievements for account age :D So far it goes up to four years I believe, sadly there is no prize though. Just view your preferences page to get them.
Goldenchaos

Post by Goldenchaos »

How do I go about getting this?

Making a living
Have a shop that has made a total of more than 1,000,000sP!
0/1,000,000

Is it from profits?

:\ because if it is, I far surpassed that, unless it wants me to collect the 1 mil
Image Image
ImageImage
Seerow

Post by Seerow »

Edit: Wrong advice was wrong. Thanks Ty!
Last edited by Seerow on 11 Jul 2009 06:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Post by AngharadTy »

The shop till one goes up to 250 million, now. =( And actually, the one that Goldenchaos pasted is the other kind--go to your Edit Shop link, where it says your total sales ever, and you'll trigger the achievements.
Image Image
Officer 1BDI
Human Avatar: 150891

Post by Officer 1BDI »

Thanks for the heads up, Seerow! Hard to believe I've been on Subeta for almost three years now....