Holiday Name Changes

For discussion of the Subeta pet site, including new colours and other features.
Huggles
Feral Koala

Re: Holiday Name Changes

Post by Huggles »

FaithHeart, I am going to back up Luxe here and say that you're going to have to provide explicit evidence for your claim because there are very few people who read the Subeta forums here. I can glean from the news comments that many of the most frequent posters, who aren't staff, do not want anyone to post anything remotely negative about any changes made to the site. But, the staff hardly needs nor has the time to support undercover propaganda agents, in order to trick us. I find the notion that anyone here would not voice or even change their opinion due to peer pressure, utterly absurd and a bit insulting.

Anyway. I don't drink alcohol of any kind, and there aren't really many German folk here or in my family, so Oktoberfest is something I only see celebrated randomly on tv in beer drinking contests and sometimes the interweb. It wasn't untill a couple days into Brewfest on WoW that I even made the connection. So for a few days, it was just something Blizzard made up to let me throw beer at dwarves. When I noticed Alegarten on Subeta, I paid no mind and assumed that it was just a real alternative name for Oktoberfest. Keelholiday? International Talk Like A Pirate Day? Eh. It's a holiday that was made up by two dudes in their jammies that liked saying ARRR! It's more of an interweb thing to me, and doesn't really count. And... I forgot where I was going with this.
FaithHeart

Post by FaithHeart »

It was an observation more than a claim. A claim would mean I think there are shenanigans going on involving undercover operatives. I don't. I also apologize for dragging posts on one forum into another because that really side tracks things off of the main issue.

If I left the impression that I felt there was a subversive campaign being waged then I have been very poorly sharing my point of view. Let me expand on my meaning. I said there was a push on from people with more knowledge than the average user to sway public opinion. I did not say that the "new changes" were being pushed by people who post a lot and have an inside track with staff. The posts that were made by people who post a lot and have friendships with staff (which is a good thing) made much more sense to me now that I know the changes.

In no way do I feel they were grabbed off the streets of Subeta and recruited into an undercover agenda force. As cool as that sounds. If I knew my friends were going to face an angry mob I might want to start dampening some torches beforehand. I have no problem with being wrong about this and it just being a coincidence that some people don't like free stuff. Explicit evidence sounds like it should have blood on it or at least some DNA but my comment was based on a thread in the bragging and complaining forum that I didn't bookmark because it wasn't important then (or now) I just have the 20/20 hindsight now to maybe understand why someone wouldn't want free stuff and holiday merriment.

Huggles I did not mean that anyone here would not express their true feelings. There is freedom here and people who are strong minded because there isn't an element of fear for expressing that quality.
Luxe

Post by Luxe »

Ah, okay. Thank you! I do believe you're referring to a thread started by Jessyta asking if she was the only one who would be disappointed if Halloween celebrations went from October 1-31. If I an mistaken, please correct me. I can see how it would look like that post or other replies like it influenced our decision, especially since Jessie is a friend of several staff members and has been on staff herself, but it's total coincidence. She had no idea what Morostide was, when it would start, or if it would last all month. It may look like she was attempting to do us a favor, but she genuinely wasn't.

I'm not even sure if us making the move to Morostide dictated when the actual celebration of it would begin. Up until yesterday, I didn't even know when we were planning to start it. I just knew whenever we did start, it was my responsibility to mark it on the calendar to keep it consistent from now on.
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Post by AngharadTy »

Still don't understand people complaining about the duration of activities that give free items. If you want to shoot yourself in the foot and only do it for a couple weeks, fine. It's ridiculous that that kind of thinking is going to leave me with two weeks to celebrate my favorite holiday on Subeta (well, a misnamed version of it, anyway) because of a pre-planned vacation (provided we have money for it). But whatever. It's obvious that it's going to happen, just as it's obvious that the dumb names aren't going to change and are only getting worse. I'm tired of expressing my pointless opinion.
Image Image
EofS

Post by EofS »

*Delurks*

Alegarten is a really, really silly sounding name. It's like calling a holiday "bar" or "pub" or "café". Well, except that it's half in English and half in German. So it's like renaming Independence Day to Feuerwork or Firewerk.

(Fwiw, I saw someone somewhere in here saying Alegarten is German for beer garden. That is actually Biergarten - I think English got the term from German.)

*Relurks*
Huggles
Feral Koala

Post by Huggles »

See, see how clueless I am? I didn't realize it was Ale, meaning beer, and then garten for garden. I thought it was more like allay, because ALEmania is Spanish for Germany. So in my mind it was German garden, which made me think of harvesting in October which made me think Oktoberfest.
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Post by AngharadTy »

EofS wrote:(Fwiw, I saw someone somewhere in here saying Alegarten is German for beer garden. That is actually Biergarten - I think English got the term from German.)
I didn't realize that "ale" wasn't present in German (though it makes sense, now that I consider it) but I really just wanted to make a Busch Gardens joke.
Image Image
Bacon

Post by Bacon »

So there's still no explanation in the news on the new name...
Jessyta

Post by Jessyta »

Luxe wrote:Ah, okay. Thank you! I do believe you're referring to a thread started by Jessyta asking if she was the only one who would be disappointed if Halloween celebrations went from October 1-31. If I an mistaken, please correct me. I can see how it would look like that post or other replies like it influenced our decision, especially since Jessie is a friend of several staff members and has been on staff herself, but it's total coincidence. She had no idea what Morostide was, when it would start, or if it would last all month. It may look like she was attempting to do us a favor, but she genuinely wasn't.

I'm not even sure if us making the move to Morostide dictated when the actual celebration of it would begin. Up until yesterday, I didn't even know when we were planning to start it. I just knew whenever we did start, it was my responsibility to mark it on the calendar to keep it consistent from now on.
Seriously? Someone actually thought I had that kind of pull on Subeta? They didn't correct you so I am guessing so.

LMAO. FaithHeart, you are too funny for words. Please, don't run your mouth (er... fingers?) about what I knew all along to try to prove your conspiracy theories.
Joey
Secret Ninja Mod
Human Avatar: 166931

Post by Joey »

Because fanning the flames after the thread has died down is an awesome thing do do, right?
Jessyta

Post by Jessyta »

Sure is.

I wouldn't have said a thing had my name not come up. I can defend myself, can I not?
Joey
Secret Ninja Mod

Post by Joey »

Last I checked the definition of defending yourself wasn't coming into a thread and lobbing a few more insults around after everyone's gotten over it.
Jessyta

Post by Jessyta »

I didn't insult anyone. I said someone was funny. Because the conspiracy theory posted WAS funny.

Again - Had the person not been posting false info about me, I would not have posted. And very sorry for being too busy this weekend to come do it right away.

I have to ask, how exactly is you being sarcastic toward me helping?
bonecrivain
Incorrigible Bookworm
Human Avatar: 157826

Post by bonecrivain »

There's nothing wrong with defending oneself, but using a condescending tone and insults tends to backfire (look at the Republicans for an excellent example of that). In addition, I can't see that defense was necessary at this point: FaithHeart hasn't posted since the 8th, and Luxe's explanation seems to have been sufficient to cool that portion of the discussion.
Joey
Secret Ninja Mod

Post by Joey »

Oh please. If your post wasn't meaning to insult FaithHeart, then what point were you trying to make exactly? Luxe had already addressed the misunderstanding. I suggest getting over it.

Sarcasm's just how I work. I could always just lock this if you have nothing to contribute.