V2 default profiles changed

For discussion of the Subeta pet site, including new colours and other features.
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

V2 default profiles changed

Post by AngharadTy »

V2 profiles apparently now have a blue gradient image behind the header. It appeared on my profile and really alarmed me, because I just installed Google Chrome and I thought there was somethin' wrong with it. (But no--actually, Chrome saved my profile's ass very easily; right-click has an "Inspect element" option that is soooooo fabulous and makes css a lot easier! I had a nerdgasm.)

Another change: the "view all comments" link is now after your last displayed comment, not after the add-a-comment box. I hate that. Now I don't have a way to get to my comments from my profile. No one else has a way to get to my comments, either.

I combed through the forums to find out if this is permanent (after turning that crap off) and found this info from the profiles minimod charm (here's the thread):
Charm wrote:If anyone has a customized profile and wants the new stuff to go away, just add this to your CSS:

Code: Select all

#navigation, .header, .info_block, .comment_table {background-image: none;}
So, yay for Charm. Boo for overall staff changing profiles in a pointless cosmetic fashion without warning (beforehand) or notifying (after the fact) the mass of users who have custom profiles. A post buried in a forum is not the way to deliver news to your subjects. I think that's what the news is for.
Image Image
Helmcargh

Re: V2 default profiles changed

Post by Helmcargh »

Oh man, that blue line is hideous, why did it have to be sooo bright? I had to change it. This will definitely decrease my interest at looking at other profiles. Nasty.
Rustyblu

Post by Rustyblu »

I actually quite like the new design.. my profile :P

Keith said in a thread that the full update will come tomorrow, so I expect the news post will be made then.

Does Firefox have a similar "Inspect element" option like Chrome? XD

I hope one day we will be able to make comments private.... theres an option in the comments section called 'Restrict to friends' but that doesn't seem to do anything at all ;x
Seerow
Human Avatar: 155383

Post by Seerow »

Okay so idiot I am, what do I do with that code? Do I add it to my own personal CSS or to my layout?
If it goes in my CSS, then isn't my layout ruined for everyone else?

On another note, I really dislike the change. It just looks really tacky to me, and was unnecessary.

Edit: Thanks Jessi!
Last edited by Seerow on 11 Nov 2008 04:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wanna donate towards my drink gallery, the Golden Goblet.
Slugawoo

Post by Slugawoo »

It's nice to know the staff's working on fixing glitches, the economy, and other important things rather than just adding useless, ugly crap. [/sarcasm]

I love that code so much. I'll be using it right away.
Last edited by Slugawoo on 11 Nov 2008 04:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jessi
Human Avatar: 155904

Post by Jessi »

Thanks for posting the CSS, Ty. It fixed my profile up beautifully.

Seerow, you put it in the CSS for your actual profile, so it will be pretty when other people look at it, too :3

annoying about the comment thing though x_x
Seerow
Human Avatar: 155383

Post by Seerow »

Ohh, solution to the "View all comments" thing.
Add the section "Comments" to your profile. After its there, edit that section to show zero comments. That way, you still get the View All option, but no comments will actually be shown on your profile.
Wanna donate towards my drink gallery, the Golden Goblet.
Elzaim

Post by Elzaim »

Oh wow - the lovely new white gradient on all boxes sure lets me see my text and 'wall' messages super well - especially since all my text is white!! Hurray! [ /blatant sarcasm]

Seriously, who thought up this great idea? As slugawoo mentioned earlier, I'm so glad they're working hard to fix site problems, the economy and everything else that desperately needs fixed. :/
mellaka
Human Avatar: 48736

Post by mellaka »

Hmm I added the CSS and all it did was change the backgrounds on all my modules from gradient silver to gray. I don't have time to try to figure it out while I'm at work, and I bet my friend who made my profile will be overrun with questions from all her commissioned ones. Gah.
Saturn

Post by Saturn »

I dunno, I think the default Cream layout looks alright, but I never use custom layouts anyway :/ (they messed up the Marsh one though, and that was my favorite)

Sucks about the comment thing though, I used to keep the comments box off my main page because I'd occasionally get one with a broken URL or an insanely long string of !!!!!!!!!!s that'd completely screw up my whole profile. Right now it looks okay, though...
Alicorn
Human Avatar: 160932

Post by Alicorn »

Jeez, that is annoying. I'm glad I'm still holding onto my V1 profile. Though I'm slowly weakening and will convert to a V2 profile soon.
Sig/Av by: thelonetiel
Jessi
Human Avatar: 155904

Post by Jessi »

Just so you guys know, Keith updated the code you have to paste. The new code is this:

Code: Select all

#navigation,.comment_table,.header,.block,.info_block { background-image:url(''); border:0px; } body { background-repeat:no-repeat; } #navigation { background-color: transparent; } 
Aqua

Post by Aqua »

The code didn't fix my profile at all. :x But I don't feel like trying to figure it out right now, and I really do need a new profile anyway.. *still doesn't know what she'd want for a new one though*
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Post by AngharadTy »

Awkward bit of code--it calls a background image with no URL. I replaced it with background-image: none; and it works just fine now. I also already had my navigation off and my body background set to no repeat--so if you had something else for those bits of code, it might be mucking around. Make sure it can condense well and you're not doubling up on CSS.
Image Image
TCStarwind
Human Avatar: 99635

Post by TCStarwind »

Thanks for that code, Jessi. x.X; While it didn't completely fix my profile (the borders for the header blocks are now missing), it looks a lot better than it did before. Seriously. Lilac gradients don't work with dark purple and black.

Who thought this was a good idea? Sure, it looks fine when it's just a plain profile, but it completely messes up all custom profiles. And what was wrong with the profiles in the first place that this even needed to be implemented?