Subeta Advent Calendar

For discussion of the Subeta pet site, including new colours and other features.
Wingsrising
Human Avatar: 157670

Re: Subeta Advent Calender

Post by Wingsrising »

I think that the problem with inside jokes isn't inside jokes per se, it's that it's silly to make them in a context where you have to explain them.

Releasing the bumper cars as a free gift would be fine, since everyone would just be like, "Oh, look! Bumper cars!" No further explanation required.

Releasing the bumper cars as an advent calendar item causes people to go, "WTF? Bumper cars?" and then you have to explain your joke, which automatically makes it not funny anymore.
Jessi
Human Avatar: 155904

Post by Jessi »

Ah, Wings, I think that makes perfect sense! Yes, if it'd been a free gift, it wouldn't have been thought twice of by most people.
Keith

Post by Keith »

It shouldn't have been thought twice of anyway. It's a free item (And a toy no less. I guess you all come to your christmas tree and find... anything but toys underneath?)

It's a joke that's been around on the forums for over a year - and it's not like the items aren't good on their own (especially the one with the bruises!). We aren't trying to please everyone, everyday with the free items that come from melody - we're just trying to give out items that appeal to a broad audience. Giving out clothes everyday is boring. Giving out minions everyday is boring. Even if it's something silly like the bumper cars, at least it's different.

Just please keep in mind that these are free items that you're getting. The only effort you have to put forth to get them is pressing a button at midnight (or any time throughout the day) so as long as they are at least semi-nice and don't make your account explode, I think you can survive getting a couple items you don't like.
Jessi
Human Avatar: 155904

Post by Jessi »

No one here said we couldn't survive getting a couple of items we don't like, Keith. It doesn't mean we can't complain about them to each other if we want to.
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Post by AngharadTy »

Keith, please don't imply that we aren't allowed to complain. I am sure that everyone is fully aware that it's a free item. That has no bearing on whether it's an item you like or not.

Also, I did make a point of saying that I get toys for Xmas and it seems normal to me. So don't generalize with "you all," either. ;)
Image Image
covet

Re: Subeta Advent Calendar

Post by covet »

I.. can't find what's funny about the story, but I think it's a fairly neat item, and fine as an advent calendar thing. Subeta has my favourite AC of any petsite I've drifted through, there's obviously a lot of work going into it.

I don't read the forums often, so I'd never have known it was an inside joke and would never have been bugged by it. The same is probably true of the majority of users.

Likewise, I didn't know the colourful gemstone was for us! *buys one*
The Artist Formerly Known As Amneris
Tiki
Human Avatar: 8869

Post by Tiki »

I'm not too bothered by it, since there are really countless items on the site that probably do have backstories that we don't know about. For instance, I know one of my comments on the forums inspired the tinfoil hat, but that's nothing that anybody else would ever know unless I mentioned it or they found the board. I'm sure there are plenty more items that are inspired by on-site jokes or things from the forums...
bonecrivain
Incorrigible Bookworm
Human Avatar: 157826

Post by bonecrivain »

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee I am so excited about one of today's items!
Spoiler: open/close

Of course, I need a second stone for my gallery. I'll grab one when they deflate in a few days. I love the wearable fox. I'm really excited that we get a red fox, not just white ones.
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Post by AngharadTy »

Awesommmmmme. *draws little hearts*
Image Image
Kamil
Not the nice one
Human Avatar: 72834

Post by Kamil »

AngharadTy wrote:Awesommmmmme. *draws little hearts*
Yeah. That.
Image Image
MM and Twofold rock, yo.
Alicorn
Human Avatar: 160932

Post by Alicorn »

**copies Ty**
Spoiler: open/close
I love the fox so much! I shall be useing him every chance I get. Oh the HAs I shall make with it. The pants are just to cute. I want a pair of those in real life! And the book is so nicely drawn. I don't know weather to keep or read to Alicorn. I just might have to buy another one.
Sig/Av by: thelonetiel
Keith

Post by Keith »

AngharadTy wrote:Keith, please don't imply that we aren't allowed to complain. I am sure that everyone is fully aware that it's a free item. That has no bearing on whether it's an item you like or not.

Also, I did make a point of saying that I get toys for Xmas and it seems normal to me. So don't generalize with "you all," either. ;)
I wasn't implying that you aren't allowed to complain. Complain away, just try to keep in mind that it's a free item that we didn't have to give you in the first place. You're more than welcome to delete it ;)
Tom
Human Avatar: 231218

Post by Tom »

Keith wrote:
AngharadTy wrote:Keith, please don't imply that we aren't allowed to complain. I am sure that everyone is fully aware that it's a free item. That has no bearing on whether it's an item you like or not.

I wasn't implying that you aren't allowed to complain. Complain away, just try to keep in mind that it's a free item that we didn't have to give you in the first place. You're more than welcome to delete it ;)
I'm sure people would be quite disappointed if Advent were cancelled or ignored, however. :P

edit: typo
Last edited by Tom on 17 Dec 2008 07:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Subeta: Thomas
Seerow
Human Avatar: 155383

Post by Seerow »

I loved today's items :D The book is lovely and so is the little fox. Reminds me of how much I loved Fox and the Hound when I was little. *Makes mental note to go watch it again*
Wanna donate towards my drink gallery, the Golden Goblet.
WisteriaLynx
Human Avatar: 319191

Post by WisteriaLynx »

Seerow wrote:I loved today's items :D The book is lovely and so is the little fox. Reminds me of how much I loved Fox and the Hound when I was little. *Makes mental note to go watch it again*
Yes and win and LOVE. <3 That is my favourite Disney movie and no one ever seems to remember that it exists. Dx

(Yay, the fox goes with my current HA! <3 )