Official Subeta Giveaway!

For discussion of the Subeta pet site, including new colours and other features.
thelonetiel
Human Avatar: 15268

Official Subeta Giveaway!

Post by thelonetiel »

http://subeta.net/shop.php?shopid=38

Good luck getting everything, guys!

I don't think I like the shop layout as much as the massive drops of items in the Donation Center, but then, I havent tried it much myself.
covet

Re: Official Subeta Giveaway!

Post by covet »

Just a preemptory moan. On my nine year old slow and clunky computer, it is virtually impossible to get anything with the shop-based giveaway, so I'll probably be skipping it rather than frustrate myself, which makes me a little bit D:

I do miss the old donation center system, even if you had to sift through 20 pages of red balls to find anything.

Good luck though, everyone. I'm really hoping some book drive items get cheaper, as I missed it entirely.
The Artist Formerly Known As Amneris
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Post by AngharadTy »

Lag on the site is amazing. Really impressive. Like, I'm impressed my pages load at all.

Is the free shop actually working now? It wasn't giving me codes for buying things, not even in the magically perfect Firefox. (I think I'm still irked at the whole "IE is evil" BS in the news.)
Image Image
Officer 1BDI
Human Avatar: 150891

Post by Officer 1BDI »

I'm guessing it's pretty indicative for how the rest of the giveaway will look to me when I refresh the page, see that Restock Time says "NOW!"... and still fail to see anything in the shop. :P

ETA: FFFFFFFFfffffI'mtooslow! Shop just restocked, and I clicked on three entirely different items only to find them each sold out.
Last edited by Officer 1BDI on 24 Dec 2008 07:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Slugawoo

Post by Slugawoo »

Haha, I saw some items, clicked, failed. And when I came back... nothing there.

...At 1 AM in the morning.

Yep. I'm done.
mellaka
Human Avatar: 48736

Post by mellaka »

Yeah, I appreciate the sentiment, but I hate, hate the free shop. I can't even get the cheap items at nearly 2 am. And I've been refreshing pretty much constantly since I saw the announcment when it first went up.

Congrats to anyone who can get stuff.
TCStarwind
Human Avatar: 99635

Post by TCStarwind »

I'm with the people who liked the donation center give-aways. I thought it was fun to go through the pages and see if I could find anything interesting.

And the whole site is loading really slow. :( I might go and try later, but I doubt I'll get very far.
Ierosbats

Post by Ierosbats »

I absolutely hate how if you miss an item and get the sold out page, the link takes you back to the page with all the shops. Whyyyyyy? It makes it so that if you miss one item, you have no chance of grabbing something else from that restock.

I also hate that there's no time restrictions. I mean, I guess I should LIKE that, but I'm not a good restocker. I liked the old system where you had to wait a few minutes after you grabbed something. It gave other people a chance. Now you can grab something from every single restock. Like I said, great if you're a good restocker, but for those of us that aren't... bah.

Oh. And I just missed a Giant Lotus. Friiiiiiiig.
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.
Officer 1BDI
Human Avatar: 150891

Post by Officer 1BDI »

Ierosbats wrote:I also hate that there's no time restrictions. I mean, I guess I should LIKE that, but I'm not a good restocker. I liked the old system where you had to wait a few minutes after you grabbed something. It gave other people a chance. Now you can grab something from every single restock. Like I said, great if you're a good restocker, but for those of us that aren't... bah.
I just managed to grab an Evil Spider, and it said I couldn't go back to the shop for 5 minutes (or maybe it was the standard 5 second message). So there is some sort of time restriction... but either way it's rather ineffective since it takes the shop about 5 minutes to restock anyway.

ETA: This is completely unrelated, but I just noticed that there's a tiny Atebus revolving around the Subeta on King Keef's staff. How does that work?
klaatu99

Post by klaatu99 »

I want to echo the dislike for the free shop system. With my old computer and crappy internets (I'm connected at a blazing 26.4 right now), I'll never get anything from there. At least with the donation center, I would pick up one or two things.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Feed Us Please!

KlaatuWolf on Subeta
Sunwolf
Human Avatar: 36334

Post by Sunwolf »

Oh, bah. You know what I hate more than almost-but-not-quite grabbing something amazing? Seeing people tear each other to shreds in the News comments and on the forums :(

There have been many, many suggestions on how to improve giveaways. My two favorites have been sending out a mass email which has everyone getting a number of random items, and having the items in the Free Shop be in giftboxes so you don't know what you're getting. Why was the Donation Center so bad, again?

. . . and Subeta Staff are being their usual charming, professional selves. From Mythica: "Oh for fuck's sake. It's FREE. Personally I'm pretty chuffed that whiney prats are missing things. I hope they continue missing out, too. C: I hope they have an absolutely craptastic conclusion to Luminaire."
Last edited by Sunwolf on 24 Dec 2008 08:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
My computer is connected to the internet and the internet contains everything in the whole wide world ever. I don't know about you but I sometimes find everything in the whole wide world ever a bit distracting.
lavender
Human Avatar: 168295

Post by lavender »

OMG I GOT A... cherry?

Yeah. And DAMN, that shop clears FAST. I also preferred the donation center giveaways - it was nice to browse to find things that caught your eye without having to rush. With this system, you don't really get to choose what you want, you just click and pray :P
{neopets: _lavender} ImageImage Image {subeta: lavenderkennedy}
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Post by AngharadTy »

It's kind of like the money tree on Neopets; you just click and pray there, too. Only it's worse because you have to enter a code.

I'm amazed at that quote of Mythica's because it seems much more callous and cruel than previous things she's said! But, um, still, let's not bring the "fuck you too"s here to NC, please? It is the holidays, after all.
Image Image
covet

Post by covet »

I do see the subeta staff's frustration. To them, they're giving things away (which they don't need to do) and yet people are complaining about it.

It is, though, really unrealistic not to expect people to feel sad or jealous, and then to whine, when they see other people getting things that the don't have much of a chance for. There were always a ton of complaints from people who missed the DC giveaways (I've been there and done it) and this giveaway is attracting even more, because it's far harder to get something.

If they gave away five random items to everyone on site, there would still be complaints, because some people would be unlucky, even if they all had the same chance. Whichever way they do it, there will be complaints.

I could live without the giveaways at all, frankly, and my preferred method when they do do them is the DC - by far. Even with a slow slooow computer you could get lucky and get great items, because there were so many pages of things. As for this one, I can't participate due to a slow computer, so I'm just going to try and practice pragmatism.
The Artist Formerly Known As Amneris
Sunwolf
Human Avatar: 36334

Post by Sunwolf »

Here's yet another great user idea: "I think what would work better, is if the giveaways was a game. They make a place/page for it, and everyone can go there every five or ten minutes, press a button and get a randomly generated rarity item. Could be a common. Could be a retired or cash shop item. It can\'t be THAT hard to set something like that up."

Why not? I find it AMAZINGLY closed-minded of Keith not even to consider the DC again, or any of the other ideas that people have suggested.

And sorry AngharadTy, snarkiness has been removed.
My computer is connected to the internet and the internet contains everything in the whole wide world ever. I don't know about you but I sometimes find everything in the whole wide world ever a bit distracting.