Subeta 'free pet names' thread?

For discussion of the Subeta pet site, including new colours and other features.
Usul_Princess

Subeta 'free pet names' thread?

Post by Usul_Princess »

I absolutely need this because I'm at a complete loss as to what I can use for real words. There are thousands of good names out there on Subeta, and several hundred real-word names left. I need this so freakin' bad, because so many of the names I looked up were taken. This is easier to do than on Neo because there's simply less volume. I also think this should be a hidden board kinda like 'adoptions' was.
ImageImage

Thank you TCStarwind for the lovely signature! ^_^

FC bets: http://www.neopets.com/~DazedBoy
Jessi
Human Avatar: 155904

Re: Subeta 'free pet names' thread?

Post by Jessi »

I don't think it's a bad idea to have a free pet name thread, but I -definitely- don't think it needs to be a hidden board - even the Neopets adoption board isn't hidden and there are even less good free names on there. Because there -are- so many free names on Subeta, chances are if you don't grab a 'good' one you want, there'll be a few more choices.

Besides, I don't think they can make just one thread hidden. The adoptions thread for Subeta here has never been popular, simply because getting names and colors is so easy, so we definitely don't need an adoption sub-forum in the Subeta section. Asking the mods to create a separate sub-forum just for one thread seems kind of silly. Especially when I'm not sure how much this thread would be used (I know I'd probably never end up using it; I already know which names I want on Subeta and I'm waiting for them to free up. Of course, that's just me xD)
Usul_Princess

Post by Usul_Princess »

I was thinking a thread within an existing thread kinda thing. Not really to go all out of the way to make a sub forum for it. (I don't know where I'd put it though if I did that....maybe in adoptions...) Making it just a sticky makes it feel so naked to me. Don't ask. Since one doesn't exist already, making one up would be next to pointless.

But I liked the way the Neo free name thread was hidden before maybe it's just because I'm apprehensive of some asshole taking a name right when "I thought of it first". (Personal peeve of mine.) But I don't own an english thesaurus and this would be perfect.
ImageImage

Seerow
Human Avatar: 155383

Post by Seerow »

Usul_Princess wrote: But I don't own an english thesaurus and this would be perfect.
The wonders of Thesaurus.com :D You could also go check out names on the Neo names list. While most of those have probably been used over on Neo by now, it's still a great reference to get names from for other pet sites and chances are most of them will be free as well. You could also take a look over there and get ideas for bases for names and such. I know I use that list a lot when looking for names for various sites. It seems a bit overkill to have two lists for essentially the same function.

I too would veto to have any future name lists hidden. It sort of defeats the purpose of one, seeing as they are made to help people who are stuck finding a name.

What sort of name(s) are you looking for? Maybe someone could help you find a name if we knew a bit more about what you were looking for.
Last edited by Seerow on 16 Mar 2009 04:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wanna donate towards my drink gallery, the Golden Goblet.
Jessi
Human Avatar: 155904

Post by Jessi »

Well, the Neopets free name thing was only hidden because it was in the Neopets Adoption forum - and at the time, that entire forum was hidden if you weren't logged in. That's what I'm saying; I don't think they can make just one single thread hidden, and even if they did, it seems kind of silly to just have one 'hidden' thread.
Usul_Princess

Post by Usul_Princess »

Seerow: I swear I don't remember Thesaurus.com being so....thorough..! I don't remember the layout or it being advert-free.
Seerow wrote:What sort of name(s) are you looking for? Maybe someone could help you find a name if we knew a bit more about what you were looking for.

I'm having a real hard time finding real word names that are fancy adjectives. (Like, I was really disappointed when 'Lethargic' and 'Perplexed' were taken. One on a dormant account, the other frozen.) I'm also looking for a corresponding antonym for said word. I want two pets to be the opposite side by side (Ex: How Madge has 'Avec' (With) and 'Sans' (Without) on the same account.)

For the most part, I like "almost names". Names that sound like they're partially made up, but something that could possibly pass as a person's name. My neopets are a better example than my subeta pets, but it's basically the same thing.

Jessi: Yeah, I see now. There's no way how I proposed it would even be possible without making a sub-forum. *nods*.
ImageImage