New site layout talk

For discussion of the Subeta pet site, including new colours and other features.
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Re: New site layout talk

Post by AngharadTy »

Why is javascript a problem?

The only hover menus I can stand are the ones at the top, say, on Livejournal and such. Because I seldom see them, because I'm always scrolled down to read all the content. I hate hover menus. A lot. If it's something that's on your page all the time and you can always see it, that means that you'll always be mousing over it and covering up your content. I keep my browser window on the right side of my screen; I keep messenger conversations on the left side of my screen. So I move my mouse across to the left side very often. If that action opens menus every single time, I'm going to get very damn annoyed very quickly. Either by the flashing open-close-open-close menus, or by them getting "stuck" open and me having to waggle my cursor all over the place to try to get them to close.
Image Image
Foghawk
Human Avatar: 254768

Post by Foghawk »

You can turn CSS drop-down menus into regular menus with customCSS, but Javascript menus you're stuck with (unless you bother to install a Greasemonkey script). It isn't a problem in and of itself, but it ruins the 'CSS friendly' idea.
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Post by AngharadTy »

Ah, of course. I was trying to think of a problem with javascript in and of itself! Hehe.

It's not like we need dropdown menus on Subeta at all. So let's just skip them. There are links on the sidebar I never use--if the sidebar were customizable, I could add only those links that I need, and blammo, every problem solved. ;)

edit--since the site came back up, I remembered to check Keith's forum topic again.
Keith on Subeta wrote:Before we add a new layout (or get to the point of being finished with one) we will poll it. If it comes up as the winner (or really, close to being even) we'll go ahead and HTML it up and get it on the site for a testing session, and then have another poll.
Err. On Subeta, "close to being even" means "failing miserably." Subeta has a very solid history of always, always, always having the "new" option winning. The hikei revamp before the current one, the one with the really grey hikei, still had the new one (the one where the consensus here was that it was crappy) winning, 6.7k > 4.4k. So. Yeah. If you're going to count "close to being even" as a win, don't bother polling it at all.
Image Image
Officer 1BDI
Human Avatar: 150891

Post by Officer 1BDI »

AngharadTy wrote:Err. On Subeta, "close to being even" means "failing miserably." Subeta has a very solid history of always, always, always having the "new" option winning. The hikei revamp before the current one, the one with the really grey hikei, still had the new one (the one where the consensus here was that it was crappy) winning, 6.7k > 4.4k. So. Yeah. If you're going to count "close to being even" as a win, don't bother polling it at all.
This is the first thing that came to mind when I heard "we're polling." At this point polling seems less about getting feedback from the users and more about being able to say, "Well, we did poll the userbase."

I'm indifferent to a site layout change; unless the new layout is broken, I don't think I'll care what it turns out like. I hated Neo's current layout when it was first introduced, but after a month or so I became so accustomed to it that I forgot why I hated it in the first place.