Subeta downtime, database problem

For discussion of the Subeta pet site, including new colours and other features.
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Subeta downtime, database problem

Post by AngharadTy »

I've barely been here today, but I only saw the site up and working twice. The second time, it had clearly been rolled back to sometime before the first time. This after a post in the morning about the database and how it should only take 5 minutes of downtime, maybe as much as 15, instead of a full 12 hours. So I figure that went well. Events like this really mess with the site, I guess. But I want my tokens, and that's a whole day that I haven't been able to get them.

edit: text of error message Wednesday evening--
Hello all. Subeta has been down for quite some time, and will be down probably all night, so I feel I owe everyone a short explanation of what's going on.

We're fighting what appears to be a bug in our database server, MySQL. This bug is causing our database file to become corrupted while the site is running. Usually this does not effect the site in a big way, but sometimes a portion of the database which is heavily used will become corrupted, preventing the database from even starting up.

Originally the plan was to restore our database from a backup and then apply all the most recent changes to that backup, but doing so turned out to cause the same fatal corruption as before.

Our remaining option is to dump the database entirely and reimport it, cleansing the DB of any corruption. This is the exact process we were in the middle of when this whole thing happened.

Anyway, the reimport will likely take all night... unfortunately, it is the only way we have of dealing with this problem at the moment. We are in touch with the MySQL developers and are hoping to work with them to resolve this issue at the core.

-Alex

As always, thanks for your patience and support!
Image Image
covet

Historical Atebus Revolution split

Post by covet »

....Reading the down message on the site right now I'm just wondering exactly how many day's worth of tokens we're going to lose.
The Artist Formerly Known As Amneris
klaatu99

Re: Historical Atebus Revolution

Post by klaatu99 »

There's a message up now saying that the site will likely be down all night. I really, really really hope there isn't a rollback and I have to work at getting all the trinkets I collected yesterday again.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Feed Us Please!

KlaatuWolf on Subeta
Seerow
Human Avatar: 155383

Post by Seerow »

AngharadTy wrote:This after a post in the morning about the database and how it should only take 5 minutes of downtime, maybe as much as 15, instead of a full 12 hours. So I figure that went well.
No shit. I could not for the life of me figure out how they invented a process that would take a mere fraction of the time the process should usually take, and no one else had. No wonder the site is screwed over so much, if these "shortcuts" are common place.

I wonder how far the rollback goes, as I bought a lot of stuff last night and there's no replacing the hours I spent dancing yesterday. Maybe if the site ever kept it's promises about no more rollbacks (or no more rollbacks longer then a few minutes) I wouldn't have to worry about this.
Last edited by Seerow on 26 Mar 2009 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wanna donate towards my drink gallery, the Golden Goblet.
bluelightning

Post by bluelightning »

I think I officially going to quit. I'm sick of these dumb rollbacks and losing everything. depending on how much hard work I have lost over the past few days I am definitley not going to continue wasting time ona site that constanty loses everything
Slugawoo

Post by Slugawoo »

I will be considering this^ as well. 8| I hardly play as it is, but with all the glitches and downtime and rollbacks, it's hardly worth my time to be sticking around. I've certainly got better things to do.

Then again, if there is a rollback, I've only managed to make approx. 100 tokens so far. I can't imagine what a pain in the ass this must be for anyone who's made, say... 400+. Goddamn.
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Post by AngharadTy »

The biggest reason I can give for why I continue to play is this: Subeta could be a great site. Currently, it's a decent site with pets I am very attached to and a whole massive honking host of problems. I am at heart an optimist, surrounded by a coating of pessimism. The pessimism--the site sucks right now. Frequent downtime, at least one mySQL error a day, so many cache issues it's ridiculous in every browser (and it wasn't before), little testing of code releases before they're released, no one working PR for the "corporation," so many spelling and grammar errors it can seem like a teenybopper's blog.... But the optimism--the good parts of Subeta are good indeed, and the obvious enthusiasm of the people who work there (who I genuinely like) makes up for a lot of general inadequacy.

But still. I sometimes wish I could quit as easily as I fled Neo after customization. Every single day, I have something to complain about. Derek keeps asking me, "Why do you keep going on that site, you do nothing but complain!"

Because it could be fantastic.
Image Image
Usul_Princess

Re: Subeta downtime, database problem

Post by Usul_Princess »

Thanks for posting this, Ty. I saw the site was down Wednesday night, and now this morning with that very long message. And I do agree about it potentially being the greatest. But the thing that stops me from loving it forever is not really the downtime/glitches, but that no one can 100% guarentee it's safety. I think that's a fundemental that should be reassuring anyone who plays. When I first joined, I was at college and our campus deemed this site 'unsafe', and blocked it on the University server. (Made me very angry that I had to make 8 library trips a week.)

Also, after forcing enthusiasm into Neo a year after customization really helped me not pour my heart and soul into Subeta like the former. I do miss playing both sites religiously though. :?

......*wonders is their server strong enough to hold plots with high volume*....
ImageImage

Thank you TCStarwind for the lovely signature! ^_^

FC bets: http://www.neopets.com/~DazedBoy
Rah

Post by Rah »

Powers that be have told me there will be no rollback, at least :)

Which is good, because I'm off travelling for three weeks now and have no more time to dance!
Seerow

Post by Seerow »

Rah wrote:Powers that be have told me there will be no rollback, at least :)
I honestly wish I could believe that, but after time and again of being promised no rollbacks with them happening anyway, I can't until I actually see it. At least staff aren't expecting one, so that's a better and leaves some small glimmer of hope.
mellaka
Human Avatar: 48736

Post by mellaka »

That's good news Rah, thanks for passing it along.

I was reading over on SHQ yesterday and people were saying there had seemed to be a rollback to about 3 p.m. when the site was up for a little bit early last night. But hopefully staff is fixing that.
Seerow

Post by Seerow »

Here's a chat log from Alx and Nikki, and it does indeed look like we won't be having any rollbacks :D
<Nikkers> ppl are speculating and griping about that rollback they saw for 5mins last night, on sd.
<alx> Nikkers: okay, so our situation is
<alx> we have a backup from 10:45 am yesterday
<alx> and a log of all the changes that happened to the database since then
<alx> so the recovery procedure is to restore from the backup
<alx> and then "replay" the log to replicate all of yesterday's events
<alx> liquidweb, our host, brought the site back up in the middle of that replay
<alx> before it'd finished... it was about halfway
<alx> so it'd only replayed 5-6 hours worth of events
<alx> make sense? :)
Credit goes to Subetadrama. Dislike that site, but it does have good information about downtime a lot!
Sunwolf
Human Avatar: 36334

Post by Sunwolf »

AngharadTy wrote:The biggest reason I can give for why I continue to play is this: Subeta could be a great site. Currently, it's a decent site with pets I am very attached to and a whole massive honking host of problems. I am at heart an optimist, surrounded by a coating of pessimism. The pessimism--the site sucks right now. Frequent downtime, at least one mySQL error a day, so many cache issues it's ridiculous in every browser (and it wasn't before), little testing of code releases before they're released, no one working PR for the "corporation," so many spelling and grammar errors it can seem like a teenybopper's blog.... But the optimism--the good parts of Subeta are good indeed, and the obvious enthusiasm of the people who work there (who I genuinely like) makes up for a lot of general inadequacy.

But still. I sometimes wish I could quit as easily as I fled Neo after customization. Every single day, I have something to complain about. Derek keeps asking me, "Why do you keep going on that site, you do nothing but complain!"

Because it could be fantastic.
AngharadTy, you've just summed up exactly how I feel about Subeta. My brother and friends ask me the exact same thing.

And thank God there won't be a rollback! The site was up briefly for me last night, and when I realized that it had rolled back several hours I just sighed and closed down my browser window.

MySQL again? Isn't there anything else to use? It seems so damn unreliable.
My computer is connected to the internet and the internet contains everything in the whole wide world ever. I don't know about you but I sometimes find everything in the whole wide world ever a bit distracting.
Wingsrising
Human Avatar: 157670

Post by Wingsrising »

I think this is my fault. I was just realizing I'm almost totally broke (well, down to 2 mil, which in Subeta terms is totally broke) and thinking that (given how crunched for time I am these days) that maybe it would make sense to just buy something from the CS and sell it for sP.

Whenever I start thinking about sending Subeta money, it either crashes or explodes into a bunch of juvenile drama.

Hence, my fault....
Mayhem
Human Avatar: 168272

Post by Mayhem »

It could be, Wings. I was just thinking of buying a few GA medals - I haven't activated a GA for months and months now, because they're all screwy. I thought they had learned their lesson from all this crap that went on last month.

So, yeah, sry2say, but fuck that.
Varicolored on Subeta
ImageImageImageImageImage