Holiday Shop rant

For discussion of the Subeta pet site, including new colours and other features.
Jessi
Human Avatar: 155904

Holiday Shop rant

Post by Jessi »

Okay, this really isn't a post much about anything, except I REALLY want to bitch about this and figure this is a good place to do it :P

Is anyone else tired of EVERY fucking new item being released in the Holiday Shop?

I get it. The Masquerade is a Subeta holiday - great idea. But why has EVERY item for it been released in the SAME shop?

There is no reason several of these masks - especially the more generic looking ones - or the new fans, or a million other items couldn't be released in say, the accessory shop. There is NOTHING about the non-steampunk looking items that says "This is ONLY for this holiday!" Jesus, they've been doing this a LOT lately. Why not at least release SOME of the items in other shops?

Subeta has a severe lack of items that are just released in -general-. We get days upon days of stuff for 'holidays' - that is all released into ONE shop that doesn't vend anywhere and is impossible to restock in - especially with Keith's stupid new pricing system - and we get hardly anything in between. They bitch about deflation of items, but we have the same old junk circulating in all the shops and vending machines while all these new items come out for a few weeks and then bam, disappear - only to (maybe) be unretired the following year BACK IN THE HOLIDAY SHOP.

Ugh, sorry, I just had to bitch, and bitching on Subeta gets you nothing more than "But its Staaaafffff and they're always riiiiiiiiiight!"
Sunwolf
Human Avatar: 36334

Re: Holiday Shop rant

Post by Sunwolf »

I feel your pain. Several times I have nearly given up on my Holiday Gallery out of shear frustration. I've always thought that a vending machine just for holiday stuff would help a ton. I watch and wait for "common" items to dip below a million, and often they never do. It's so damn frustrating that the only way to get the new holiday items is to be a good restocker - not everyone makes their sp that way! I feel like I'm yelling this at a brick wall sometimes.

When Yellow Corn Plushie is over 24 million, and Jingle Bell Earrings are 29 million, something is WRONG WITH YOUR SYSTEM.
My computer is connected to the internet and the internet contains everything in the whole wide world ever. I don't know about you but I sometimes find everything in the whole wide world ever a bit distracting.
Seerow
Human Avatar: 155383

Post by Seerow »

Yay, you made a thread!

Some people already know I hate the Holiday Shop just as much as Jessi does. It's so frustrating how expensive nearly all the Holiday Shop items are (*Points to Valentines items as exhibit 1*) and there is no reason for it. Just because they are seasonal doesn't mean they have to be worth millions during the brief span of time they are released. Especially since it seems to be rather hit or miss if they will ever be released again.

I don't think I'd mind the items being released in the same shop quite as much if you could vend some of them. Why don't plushies vend at the Prize Get, or accessories like the masks at the various vending machines?
Wanna donate towards my drink gallery, the Golden Goblet.
Wingsrising
Human Avatar: 157670

Post by Wingsrising »

You'll get no argument from me. I always thought the point of holiday items was to have them available during the holiday and hard to get at other times... not hard to get during the holidays and impossible to get other times.
TCStarwind
Human Avatar: 99635

Post by TCStarwind »

Wingsrising wrote:You'll get no argument from me. I always thought the point of holiday items was to have them available during the holiday and hard to get at other times... not hard to get during the holidays and impossible to get other times.
It's like shopping for the must-have gift during Christmas! 8D Who remembers Furbys? I'm sorry. That's what your post made me think of. :<

But I do agree. I have a lot of stuff from Valentines day on my WL, a lot of which never dropped below several hundred k's, several of which are COMMON items. I absolutely hate it when they release a holiday item that I must get, and it's rare. With the new system, especially, that likely means its price isn't going to drop below several hundred k's. :< Makes me sad.
Cranberry
Human Avatar: 183848

Post by Cranberry »

Heh, I made a comment along these lines in the latest news post, and although Amber was nice, she (and Megabucks) misunderstood me. I clarified, but I probably should have just let it go, because we all know that any dissenting opinion in the news just gets the "STAFF ARE ALWAYS RIGHT, SO SHUT UP" crowd going...

But yeah, I agree. It's short-sighted and annoying that every item even tenuously related to an event goes directly into the holiday shop.
covet

Post by covet »

They didn't used to. It's a recent thing, I know I made a similar post on some thread or other myself before, during valentines. It used to be that some items sticked in the holiday shop and others showed up all over the place -- love paste used to be in homewares, lovely flamigo couple were in the beach shack. I absolutely cannot understand why they're shoving it all in one shop now.

And I agree, a machine specifically to vend holiday shop items would be a fantastic idea to give non restockers a chance.
The Artist Formerly Known As Amneris
Seerow
Human Avatar: 155383

Post by Seerow »

I don't think there should be a machine that vends just holiday items, as they should be somewhat more rare then normal items. However, having them vend in other machines, or make a new machine that includes them but has a hodge podge of other items too might work out nicely.

I don't want to see the value of the items to be a few hundred sp, but like Sunwolf said, common holiday items should be way less then the few hundred thousand they have recently been.

Shoving all the items into the same shop also sucks even for restockers, since now everyone is there. If they were spread out some, not as many people could be in the same shop and it gives you a little better odds on getting an item.
Wanna donate towards my drink gallery, the Golden Goblet.
Jessi
Human Avatar: 155904

Post by Jessi »

Well, also, the argument that so much other stuff stocks in the other shops is a silly one >> So retire some of the way overstocked items. Take some of the way-overvended clothing OUT of vending machines. Do something sensible - say, retire the winter items once it's spring and summer and vice versa for fall and winter. Not only will that help with deflation, but it will help with the sheer number of stuff that has restocked a billion times over - and it will allow the other shops to have more room in them for OTHER items.

I wouldn't care so much if we got more new items for times OTHER than holidays. This is just silly. You think the holiday shop would be more like a 'gift shop' - for trinkets or toys or stuff related to holidays. Masks? Really? Come on.

There's a million ways to combat deflation or to combat having too many items stock in one shop - shoving everything released into the Holiday shop is a stupid way to go about it.
Kamil
Not the nice one
Human Avatar: 72834

Post by Kamil »

And see? Trying to combat item deflation while at the same time trying to reduce sp inflation is almost guaranteed to give you severely annoyed players.

If you're trying to make things cost more, while at the same time other events are reducing the amount of money the average person has to buy those pricier things -- dude, this is like what went wrong with the real world economy in miniature.

I don't care for it in the real world, and I really, really don't care for it in something I'm supposedly doing for fun. >.<

Although I'm beginning to understand why Neo has never done more to control their economy; it seems like nothing good ever comes of the attempts.
covet wrote:They didn't used to. It's a recent thing, I know I made a similar post on some thread or other myself before, during valentines. It used to be that some items sticked in the holiday shop and others showed up all over the place -- love paste used to be in homewares, lovely flamigo couple were in the beach shack. I absolutely cannot understand why they're shoving it all in one shop now.
Also this. Yes, yes, yes. Why does every damn new thing go into the holiday shop now? Why the change, all of a sudden? Cause it really sucks.
Image Image
MM and Twofold rock, yo.
Officer 1BDI
Human Avatar: 150891

Post by Officer 1BDI »

I've been put off by the massive sum of releases to the Holiday Shop as well. I feel like it would be easier to restock items if they were spread through different shops as they had been before; as things stand, I think only expert restockers have any hope of grabbing more than one or two holiday-specific items with a higher rarity than "common."
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Post by AngharadTy »

Does nothing vend anywhere? I have a hugga bear of some flavor because of Oceans Depths this year. Or did that actually stock elsewhere, in a staggering move of logic and organization? ;)
Image Image
Kamil
Not the nice one
Human Avatar: 72834

Post by Kamil »

No, I think that was an OD vend, Ty. Mostly I think that because I have one too, and I know I got mine from vending.

But I saw almost nothing else that stocks there - and I have all of the vending achievements. =D

So if there were any significant releases of Holiday Shop stock in the machines, I'd have seen it somewhere. I vend at almost all of the machines evenly.
Image Image
MM and Twofold rock, yo.
Officer 1BDI
Human Avatar: 150891

Post by Officer 1BDI »

I got one of the half-masks from OD the other day, but I think that only happened because it was a clothing item.
Iggy

Post by Iggy »

All wearables under r94(?) vend in OD, no matter where they stock. It includes Beach Shack and such, which doesn't vend elsehwere.