Holidays: Incomplete

For discussion of the Subeta pet site, including new colours and other features.
Bacon

Holidays: Incomplete

Post by Bacon »

First, the zombie holiday and how the Atebus one...is it just me or do they seem unfinished. The Zombie/love holiday never had a clear ending to me. As for the latest Masquerade, well, the achievements were VERY lacking, and there was back story there that was never explained to us! I was hoping the end of it was an april fools joke,but...

Am I the lone wolf here?
Mayhem
Human Avatar: 168272

Re: Holidays: Incomplete

Post by Mayhem »

Definitely not just you. They do a great job of amping everyone up, but everything ends so suddenly and half-assedly.

I'd rather they have a gradual letdown and some warning. Like for the masquerade, they could have released the alcoholic drinks in the holiday shop as a "last call" from the bar and some other creative things. Something to give people an inkling that it's going to end.
Varicolored on Subeta
ImageImageImageImageImage
Usul_Princess

Post by Usul_Princess »

At first I thought the masquerade was going to be a plot, then I remembered there's supposedly a difference between a plot and "a site wide event". (Don't remember who said that.)

I also expected some April Fool's joke. But I haven't been fooled once today. In real life or the internet and it's 11:41 PM. Everyone must be unusually depressed this year.
ImageImage

Thank you TCStarwind for the lovely signature! ^_^

FC bets: http://www.neopets.com/~DazedBoy
Sunwolf
Human Avatar: 36334

Post by Sunwolf »

I've got to agree with you. It does seem like they just ended rather suddenly, with no wrap up. It bugs me - I read the descriptions of the character dolls in the masquerade shop, and awesome things like the Romance Novel item descriptions, and think "Why can't the creative department have half that creativity?"

I know that the creative department works hard, but it doesn't really seem that difficult. I remember several excellent suggestions here on how to end the Zombie thing, and people wondering on the forums if the quack doctor was Skitters, etc. Users are throwing out awesome ideas, use them!

Then again, I really don't get how Subeta works. Retired Valentine's items continue to be revamped well after Valentine's Day, the Healer and Krypts remain old and cartoony, the Subetapedia is dead, and the new raspberries and other fruit completely bypass the Gardens (it would have been fun to plant and grow something new . . .)

I LOVE the "last call" idea, Mayhem XD
My computer is connected to the internet and the internet contains everything in the whole wide world ever. I don't know about you but I sometimes find everything in the whole wide world ever a bit distracting.
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Post by AngharadTy »

Aren't the gardens still buggy? I wouldn't mind them skipping that function if it's not working properly right now. But I guess I don't keep track of that.

The Subetapedia may not be updated often, but it's not "dead." It's just poorly put together. I think of it as a rough draft. And there was back story on the Masquerade in there. Maybe it wasn't enough for everyone's tastes, but it does, at least, exist.

With the zombie Valentine's day stuff, it was really a letdown how it ended so non-ending-ly. Because it was clearly built up in a plot-like fashion (when things have a beginning and proceed from there as if in a storyline, then saying "but this is an event and not a plot" is fatuous at best and disingenuous at worst) and then ended abruptly and stupidly. (Seriously, I'm almost tired--tired--me--tired of being a zombie. But I can't remove it or I'll NEVER GET IT BACK.)

But I don't mind so much the ball just ending. Because that's what balls kind of do. People go home and sleep and janitors clean up the mess. In that same way, in real life, "endings" are often anticlimactic. How many of us have felt disappointed after Christmas? "Well, that was it, I guess?"

I'm not saying that feeling disappointed is standard and should be expected. If something could be done to improve it (e.g., warn people your event is going to end, y'know, just as a thought, har har), then by all means, it should have been done. However, the masquerade definitely wasn't a plot, the way the zombie event clearly was.
Image Image