Achievements system

For discussion of the Subeta pet site, including new colours and other features.
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Re: Wardrobe achievements - possible glitch

Post by AngharadTy »

Achievement!
You have been awarded the Bad to the bone! Achievement!
Damn straight!

Also, damn about the balloons, Bon. =(
Image Image
bonecrivain
Incorrigible Bookworm
Human Avatar: 157826

Post by bonecrivain »

Apparently Keith accidentally deleted the purchase 1,000 stocks achievement, so we have to re-do that one. The problem is that it seems to be working fine for everybody but me. I bought 10,000 stocks, didn't get an achievement notification and don't see it in my "Newest" section, yet the 1,000 stocks achievement is highlighted for me. I also went through (twice, because I'm insane) and counted all of my highlighted achievements. Not counting legacy achievements, I have 378 highlighted, but my total achievements count is only 377. With the legacy achievements, I should have 390, rather than the 389 currently showing on my profile.

I'm a little frustrated, because I seem to have done everything I'm supposed to do, but my count just won't update for some reason.

It's insane that the wardrobe achievements go up to 7500 items now. I'm not sure how far to go with mine; when I thought 5000 was the highest tier, I figured it might eventually be possible, but ack. Now you get an achievement for owning every clothing item on the site? It *is* quite the achievement, sure, but all of these new achievements are going to do wonders for inflation. Being able to vend at Ocean Depths might help some, but of course the pirates (who supposedly won the war) still don't have access to the island. It's rather bad timing for the plot to be dragging on like this.
Seerow
Human Avatar: 155383

Re: New Feature: Achievements

Post by Seerow »

Yikes, it goes up to 7.5k items? Wonder what sort of prize that one gets. I was debating about whether or not to try for the 5k one to get the MCT but I think I might stop at 2.5k to get the wig box.

I have the Dew Boreas items if someone wants to borrow.

They added something new to the achievement system: Forum titles.
I have 393 achievements, yet can only access three of the titles. Seems kinda pointless. Ohh well, guess I'll use the Massive Family one.
Wanna donate towards my drink gallery, the Golden Goblet.
Wingsrising
Human Avatar: 157670

Post by Wingsrising »

This wouldn't bother me if I didn't think it was going to drive the price of clothes (esp rare ones) up. I'm a wardrobe junkie, it's pretty much all I do on Subeta.
Sunwolf
Human Avatar: 36334

Re: Wardrobe achievements

Post by Sunwolf »

Well, it's good that they did SOMETHING with all the cheap clothes that were worth 10 sp. I'm sad that my suggestions of limiting clothing in the vending machines and a Clothing Quest were rejected, though.

Using retired items (Valentine Pendants, Balloons, etc.) for the achievements is kind of an evil thing to do. Yay, inflation for already over-inflated items! And I'm amused how the Valentine Pendants haven't been renamed to whatever Subeta holiday that has replaced Valentine's Day.

I have the following for any active NCer to borrow: full Mask set, full Bone Tattoo set, and full Pendant set. Simply PM me your username!
My computer is connected to the internet and the internet contains everything in the whole wide world ever. I don't know about you but I sometimes find everything in the whole wide world ever a bit distracting.
Joey
Secret Ninja Mod
Human Avatar: 166931

Post by Joey »

I missed out, I had a valentines pendant in my shop that sold for 500kish; they shot up to 6 mil really fast. Had to pay a ton for the pumpkin makeup kit too, wanted to grab it before it inflated too badly. Ah well.
Rakumel

Post by Rakumel »

...so that's why no Pink Mardi Gras Masks are in shops. :( Please someone tell me they'll be unretired when the holiday rolls around again. I don't give a damn about the achievement, I just wanted one for my pet Synthea's treasure chest of fancy pink things.
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Post by AngharadTy »

Rakumel, I don't believe they were unretired last time. We got a lot of new masks, but not the old ones.

Achievements are annoying enough without us having to redo them. I had to re-buy stocks in order to trigger it, although it triggered with no notification. But my count went up by 1. Now that this has happened again, I can't help wondering if I should a) write down all the achievements I have so I can keep track of it, because patently they won't post these glitches to the news, so I have to hope someone from here notices a forum post and talks about it, or b) just give up on the damn useless things altogether. Why on earth do I keep working at them. I really don't know. I only have three titles, too, and I worked damn hard for some of my achievements.

At least they finally said we could keep the pirate map from the treasures one, because that one was really BS for some users, who had earned it and then given the pet away.
Image Image
bonecrivain
Incorrigible Bookworm

Post by bonecrivain »

I'm just getting increasingly frustrated because apparently it IS only me who can't get this achievement back, so no one's even bothering to try to fix whatever weird glitch I ran into. I mean, I DO have it again. I bought stocks. I checked my highlighted achievements. They're ALL THERE. But it's not fixing my count on my profile, and Keith and mbif have stopped replying to the post in the bugs forum. I guess I'll file a ticket if it's still not fixed by tomorrow, but I'm sure they'll just tell me to go post in the bugs forum. Again. What else am I supposed to DO at this point?

And seriously...why isn't there a general announcement when things like this happen?
Ierosbats

Post by Ierosbats »

Does anyone know if it's possible to hide my achievement count but keep the rest of the info in that section of my profile visible? I'm thinking it's not possible, but it can't hurt to ask. The only reason I keep trying to get more achievements is because the count is visible on my profile, and the only reason the count is visible is because I like the rest of the info in that section.

I can't even properly express how irritated I am by the wardrobe achievements. Subeta's achievement system has always been pretty ridiculous and not very fun but at least it was kind of contained. Now other areas of the site are being ruined because of it. I have a pet that steals valuables, such as purses, and believe me, most of the purses on the site were expensive to begin with. Now thanks to the purse achievement they'll be even more inflated for... how long? Forever? Ugh. A lot of the items don't even restock anymore. With people saving every item of clothing possible to get to 7500 (the highest tier, and 50 lower than the TOTAL amount of clothing items on the site) who knows when/if people will ever be selling them again. The fancy handbag was selling for about 800k last week. Now there are none in shops. Fantastic.

The achievement system only works if it's a choice for people. Before the wardrobe achievements, it was. You could completely ignore it and still enjoy the other aspects of the site, like pet-development. Now everyone is playing the achievement game whether they want to or not.
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.
bonecrivain
Incorrigible Bookworm

Post by bonecrivain »

When I mentioned inflation a little earlier in this thread, I didn't realize how bad these wardrobe achievements actually were. I've been buying up my wearable wishlist items in case they're involved in future achievements, because the ones that *are* specifically mentioned in the achievements have inflated horribly. Some of them were already expensive to begin with, like the Hazel Morning Bell Slippers and the Gold Valentines Pendant. Some of them were only a couple hundred thousand last week, and now they're pushing 3-6 million, at the cheaper range.

The Legendary achievements make me roll my eyes, but I don't particularly care, because they'll always be expensive, and there are other achievements involving them. But I'm beginning to really hate the way most of these wardrobe achievements are laid out, because it's impacting everyone on the site, including people who don't care about their achievement number -- they just want a pretty wearable for their wardrobe or a pet's treasure, and now it's suddenly completely missing from shops and in some cases, unattainable.

I admit that I like seeing my achievement count rise, and in some cases, it's fun to work out how to get an achievement. But ones like these are not only pointless--they negatively impact the entire site. There are plushie and beanbag and trading card achievements, and I'm fine with those -- I've gotten to fairly high tiers but most likely won't ever get to the highest ones. And I can still afford the plushies and beanbags on my wishlist, so those achievements seem relatively harmless. But maybe that's because there aren't achievements for owning an entire line of specific plushies.
Ierosbats wrote:Now everyone is playing the achievement game whether they want to or not.
Exactly.
Rakumel

Post by Rakumel »

AngharadTy wrote:Rakumel, I don't believe they were unretired last time. We got a lot of new masks, but not the old ones.
...greeeeat. Guess I won't be getting that item anytime soon. If ever.
Enriana
Human Avatar: 155464

Post by Enriana »

I happened to luck out - at least partially - because when I came back to Subeta, I decided that I wasn't going to bother catching up on pretty wardrobe stuff unless I couldn't live without it.

However, with so much wearable these days, there's a LOT of overlap with "Shiny Item I Need For Treasures" (which I've been focusing on almost to the exclusion of all else) and "Rare and/or Expensive Wearable". This ridiculous inflation is making playing the site harder, and less fun. While I'm hardly going to leave again, I'm having a lot of trouble getting enthused about dropping 10mil+ per item that was less than 1mil before this.

Before this, I'd completely ignored achievements. The ones that resulted in loyalty boxes were, obviously, quite awesome to me, but I didn't pay attention to the rest and had no intention of working to get them. I still have no intention of working to get them, however now I have to pay attention because it's affecting the main thing I do for fun on this site (buy treasure chest items).

My only hope is that, as the inflation gets worse, the people who DO care about achievements will get the ridiculous "nearly every wearable on Subeta" one and then, once they get it, start selling stuff. I'm still not sure if I should try to grab the wearables I want now, or wait (and hope) they deflate over time.

In all, I am displeased and quite disheartened.
Farseek

Post by Farseek »

Luckily I'm not as obsessed over achievements as I was over avatars or this would drive me crazy.
I always hated avatar inflation on Neo and this is pretty much the same deal.
Not all who wander are lost.
Seerow
Human Avatar: 155383

Post by Seerow »

Some more wardrobe achievements were released. I have the entire line of Hazel Jailbird and Acolyte lines if someone needs those.

And if anyone has any of the following items I can borrow, that would be great!
Poison Void Pleated Skirt
Rainyday Nebula Necklace
Sougara Peacock Shoes
Zodiak Fantasy Wings
Wanna donate towards my drink gallery, the Golden Goblet.