Computer specs help?

Non-neopets general discussion.
Miguel

Re: Computer specs help?

Post by Miguel »

That looks like a very good spec to me, and the price seems fair for it too (I ordered a Phenom II 965 and ATI 5750 at work for a new build earlier this week). Enermax have been making power supplies since the dawn of time, so that will be rock solid.

That graphics card is a good call, it's brand new on the market (supporting technology that older cards won't), but it's not the uber-high-performance card which will cost $$$. I had written a long rant about why the card was overkill before I noticed it was a 5750 and not, as I had first read it, a 5850. Oooops.

I really don't think that you'll find that you are waiting for the hard drive in that build - certainly not to the extent you willbe right now! Windows 7 is better at optimising the disk to put the most frequently accessed data in the faster parts of the disk, and it will pre-fetch data that it thinks you will need too. Yes you could get faster, but not for the same price.

As for the sound card - it sounds like he's telling you the same as me, ie, overkill - in which case I'd save the hassle and moey, and get it yourself afterwards - it's not hard to fit the card, there's instructions all over the net if not in the manual for the card (it will be about 3 screws and that's it).

I'd ask if they can slow down the fan on the side of the case - you can usually get resistors to reduce the voltage that connect to the power plug for only a few dollars. If not, it's not the end of the world though - that graphics card won't generate too much heat compared to other similar performance cards.

All in all, that sounds pretty good, the shop clearly knows what they are talking about too. If you are looking to save some money to get the sound card in on budget too, I'd ask for a bump down in processor speed (that runs at 3.4GHz, whereas one running at 2.6 or 2.8 will be significantly cheaper, probably over $100), and maybe if you really need to, go for a smaller hard drive, though this won't save you an awful lot.

Ty - here's something to mess with your mind a little: http://www.techwarelabs.com/seagate_1-5tb-mod/ 10000rpm will only get you so far :-) Also, the 300GB Velocipraptors are faster than the 150GB ones, due to the increased data density.
Many thanks to EofS for the avatar and signature images.
Cranberry
Human Avatar: 183848

Post by Cranberry »

Thanks, Miguel! I thought it all looked good. I had asked for the 4670 video card, but he said the 5750 would be better for not much of a jump in price, so I'll trust him on that. He told me he can probably move the side fan to the front of the case, but that having the power supply on the bottom will help a lot with cooling, anyway, so it probably won't be necessary to move it. He's also giving me the 1TB hard drive for the price of a 500GB one because he ran out of 500s -- that's what he was originally planning to put in the computer.

I wrote him back and told him I'll take the computer as he designed it. I don't mind going a bit over budget, so I told him I'd order the sound card for myself and bring it down to him if he'd like (that will be $80 cheaper than if he got it from his supplier, crazy). It's going to be a nice machine!
Huggles
Feral Koala

Post by Huggles »

Miguel wrote: Ty - here's something to mess with your mind a little: http://www.techwarelabs.com/seagate_1-5tb-mod/ 10000rpm will only get you so far :-) Also, the 300GB Velocipraptors are faster than the 150GB ones, due to the increased data density.
That even makes my heads hurt. To get a general idea of the newest stuff, I go to sort of custom sites like Alienware and build whatever's the most expensive, then google all the words I don't know. I'd just like to second, third, or fourth the blue glowy bits. Glowy things rate just below shiny things on Huggles list of awesome. My pc's going on 7 years old now, and it's starting to show its age with the games I do play. But, it still works! I'm on the fence about buying a whole new thingy, or to keep on replacing parts. Well, not particularly on the fence since I'm broke, but I sometimes ogle other people's machines. Like, maybe, yours. Take sexy pics when you get it set up! Heh.
Cranberry

Post by Cranberry »

Yay, I picked up my computer today and set it up, and I love it. Everything is so FAST. They also gave me a 5770 graphics card instead of the 5750 one for no extra cost. I've been moving all my files over from my external hard drive and importing my FF and Chrome bookmarks and just generally making this comp feel like mine. I will probably take a picture once my nice speakers arrive. :)
Cranberry

Post by Cranberry »

I just realized I never posted pictures! My speakers were on backorder and didn't arrive until almost a month after I got the computer. It's all set up now, though. Here it is!

Yes, I hunted down the Windows 7 beta version wallpaper because I thought it was pretty. :) And I love this computer! Not one issue with it so far. It's usually only using about 4% of its resources and 20% of its RAM, heh. And it glows blue. <3
Last edited by Cranberry on 19 Dec 2009 06:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Post by AngharadTy »

Pretty setup! The beta betta was cute. But it wouldn't fit in with my backgrounds, which rotate between screenshots from my games and pictures of hot chicks. Sometimes both! *pets Guild Wars necromancer*
Image Image
Huggles
Feral Koala

Post by Huggles »

Oooh. Glowy! I am totally envious. Even your speaker knob matches! *pets it*

I think the reason I signed up and bought GW, way back when, was because someone showed me that picture and said the word necromancer. Then I showed it to some of my other buddies, and the original recruiter wondered why the heck there were a dozen necromancers in our little group.
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Post by AngharadTy »

The female necromancers do the Thriller dance! That made my purchase worthwhile all on its own.
Image Image