Web hosting / domain buying etc

Non-neopets general discussion.
sezrin

Web hosting / domain buying etc

Post by sezrin »

Evening all. As NC is the only forum I'm a member of and I really couldn't think of anyone else to ask I turn to the web minded among you for help.

I'm a self employed and just starting up my own business. I've written a website (a whole 5 pages and 300KB written in CSS/HTML on notepad) but now I need to get it online. It's only tiny and I don't expect all that many visitors so size/bandwidth is not a problem in anyway. I also need to get a few associated emails accounts.

I've checked that the domain name (a .co.uk one) I want is free but I've no idea what to do next. I keep hearing different things about hosting sites and domain registration sites and despite my best efforts, I can't find any guides or review sites that don't sound like they've been written by the staff of sites themselves.

So if anyone can tell me what I need to get it online and can recommend anywhere to do so I'd be incredible grateful!

O and I'm based in the UK and scared by any site that charges in dollars. Thank you! :mrgreen:
Miguel

Re: Web hosting / domain buying etc

Post by Miguel »

I recommend fasthosts.co.uk - they'll do everything from the domain registration to the web hosting, and their customer service is good enough.

For what it's worth, it's where Neocolours is hosted.

Failing that, oneandone.co.uk are also reasonable - I do my own domain registration with them, and I've heard that their web hosting is ok too.
Many thanks to EofS for the avatar and signature images.
daisybell

Post by daisybell »

I use http://www.dataflame.co.uk/ -they've always seemed pretty good, and I've had decent customer service when I needed it. Not that I've ever been a very demanding customer- certainly not as much as Miguel would be :P
Neopets wishlists: here
Foghawk
Human Avatar: 254768

Post by Foghawk »

I'm quite fond of http://www.000webhost.com/ – they aren't big or super polished, but they're really good, and they're the best free host I've ever used (and I've used a lot of them). Their uptime is solid, they support everything you'd be likely to need with their free service (and anything anyone'd be likely to need with their paid package), their control panel is very direct, and their tech support is fairly easy to get through to, though I've hardly had to try. They'll also do domain registration, in .co.uk if you want it.

(They charge in dollars, I'm afraid. At the scale you say you're working at, I'd actually recommend their free hosting, but that doesn't include the domains; you'd have to settle for a subdomain - yoursite.netai.net or whatever.)

Can you tell I never have any money? :P