Geocities Doomed

Non-neopets general discussion.
Elfwoman99

Geocities Doomed

Post by Elfwoman99 »

Hi everybody,

Please forgive me if this has already been brought up, I searched the forum and did not find any mention.

Geocities is scheduled to implode on October 25, 2009. Every website hosted by them will disappear from the internet for good, unless backed up or migrated.

There is one site I know of that archives several very old Neopets images. I don't have any neopets accounts anymore, so I can't neomail peppermint_soda to warn them. However, I think it would be too bad if this archive of old images was lost. Does anyone know if this person still plays neopets?

http://www.geocities.com/peppermint_soda/ancestors.html
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
lavender
Human Avatar: 168295

Re: Geocities Doomed

Post by lavender »

I wasn't aware Geocites was still in existence... ::reminisces:: Oh, the awful pages I made...
{neopets: _lavender} ImageImage Image {subeta: lavenderkennedy}
Kantark

Post by Kantark »

Yeah.. when I got the email from Yahoo I went "buh... I had a Geocities account?"

When I looked at it... wow, I had completely forgotten I'd made it. How things have changed in those 6 or 7 years!
Neopets: sparkygoesforth, decommissioned, nightfall, LiveJournal:kantark, Last.FM:Kantark
ZomgethMew

Post by ZomgethMew »

._.; Yeah, I'm gonna miss Geocities.
Thanks for that link! If no one can get in touch with her I'll probably back up the site; it's no trouble, since I'm going to back up some old sites that were last updated in, like.. 2000, and save them for myself :B.
Neopets: wocky_luvpet5566 | Subeta: omg_carrie
Saturn

Post by Saturn »

Oh man, I still remember my old Geocities site. Pretty much nothing but stolen Pokemon clip art with terrible MIDIs everywhere. Good times. :D

I could go through and save all those images/upload them to Photobucket or something, if no one else can...
Rainbow Daydreamer

Post by Rainbow Daydreamer »

At some point, Geocities addresses were based on Yahoo mail usernames. You might want to check and see if there's an active email account with that name.
Visit Semiveteran Logic, disliked by eight out of ten Meepits.
Seerow
Human Avatar: 155383

Post by Seerow »

xkcd decided to commemorate this day it seems :P
Wanna donate towards my drink gallery, the Golden Goblet.
Joey
Secret Ninja Mod
Human Avatar: 166931

Post by Joey »

So in a fit of nostalgia, I actually went through old backups, and found my original geocities website. I need a time machine so I can go and smack my 12 year old self.
TCStarwind
Human Avatar: 99635

Post by TCStarwind »

Joey wrote:I need a time machine so I can go and smack my 12 year old self.
You too? I'm glad I can't get into my old geocities sites anymore (or maybe I destroyed them years ago?) I can only imagine how bad they were...
Fjorab_Teke
Human Avatar: 271433

Post by Fjorab_Teke »

Yeah, i think i might have had a Geocities page still up, but it was less than insignificant. And my first one might have been one. Hopefully everyone who will be affected by this got the notice in time.

My current homepage is pretty much only hosting my wedding stuff and nothing else very important (mostly a bunch of outdated, incomplete, and redundant stuff). I might overhaul it sometime.
ZomgethMew

Post by ZomgethMew »

Yeah, I spent all of yesterday backing up stuff that I wanted to keep and stuff :B I couldn't get one of my old character sites though D;.

And haha, that parody site.. thing is hilarious XD.
Neopets: wocky_luvpet5566 | Subeta: omg_carrie
daisybell

Post by daisybell »

I never made a Geocities page, but I did create some terrible pages at school that never made it to the internet. Our IT teacher hadn't got with the times and was telling us to lay our pages out with tables and nothing at all about CSS. In fact, our local library still has web design books from the 1990s- perhaps it's a local thing, designing websites like it's 1999. (Given that there are still reference books on Word 6.0 and IE4 and 5, and the last time I used one the library computers were still running IE6, I suppose it's not surprising that they're technologically backward in web design books).

Anyway, I was reminded by that xkcd parody of this page which everyone must see if they have not already (NB- the effect will depend on your browser, I believe). More about it (and a good laugh) here.
Neopets wishlists: here
mellaka
Human Avatar: 48736

Post by mellaka »

My guild's old web site was on geocities, and I guess I inherited it when I took over my guild. I scrambled through on the 26th, saving what I could, but so much was lost. It was a crap site, but I'm still kind of sad to lose all that info (and damn, just remembered one group of pages I never got around to saving).

We stopped using it when Neo cracked down on off-site links. Actually, for a while (when they blocked being able to type the geocities domain on Neo) I moved the front page to my personal Comcast account, and Neo let me post that address at least. But then a few report-happies led me to even take that address down.

We now have a small sampling of our site on pet pages, but the recent Neo coding changes have left me unable to update those. Sometimes I wonder if they're trying to kill guilds completely. Yeah, off topic, sorry.
Elfwoman99

Post by Elfwoman99 »

Thanks to those who worked to save the (few) useful websites. :p

Was anybody able to make an online archive/backup of peppermint_soda's website?
ImageImageImageImageImageImage