Goodbye to an Old Friend

Non-neopets general discussion.
Jessi
Human Avatar: 155904

Goodbye to an Old Friend

Post by Jessi »

Today, Lindsey and I had to make the heartbreaking decision to have our oldest rat, Kuro, put to sleep. She was three and a half years old - which is pretty ancient in rattie years. Kuro was special in that she was very healthy her whole life; she never once sneezed, never had any myco flareups or respiratory infections. She did suffer from cataracts, but rats are practically blind anyway. She also was missing the top inch of her tail - from a runin with a snake and some stupid owners when she was a baby. In recent months she started getting slight back leg paralysis, something very normal in older rats, but other than that she was a very healthy girl.

She was just old... and today I went to go take a look at her and just knew. She didn't have a good quality of life yet.

Here she is, fishing for frozen peas when she was younger:

Image Image

The vet offered to make us a lovely little handprinting - they used this clay mold and gently pressed her front paws into it. I poked a hole in it when we got home, and it's baking now. I'll tie a ribbon through the hole when it's done, and hang it up in our rat corner - where Kai and Brie's urns are, pictures of the rats, a copy of the Rainbow Bridge (because I'm a complete sap) and Kai's letter from the Kansas State school of Veterinary Medicine.

Kuro was the last of my 'original seven' rats - Kai, Kana, Tomo, Brie, Petra, and Bailey being the other six. It's weird... it was weird when Kuro went from being the last in order (since we always name our rats in the order we get them) to the first. I don't know why I'm writing a rambling post about this hear... I guess because every day I'm reminded of what amazing little creatures rats are, and how they make such wonderful pets, and how they've completely touched my heart and changed my life.

Kuro was such a good little rat. I'm going to miss her.
hebdenhippy
Human Avatar: 235278

Re: Goodbye to an Old Friend

Post by hebdenhippy »

Really sorry to hear about that *hug* But it sounds like she had a full and very happy life.
The handprinting sounds lovely, too, what a nice memorial.
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Post by AngharadTy »

*hugs* I was so sorry to hear about this! I know it helps a little to know that you're doing the right thing, but I wish it helped even more. Feel better. She was a wonderful rat.
Image Image
Cranberry
Human Avatar: 183848

Post by Cranberry »

Aww, she was an adorable little rat. I'm sorry. The handprinting sounds like a nice memorial. I saved a bit of Scout's fur when we had him put down... its nice to have something.
Alicorn
Human Avatar: 160932

Post by Alicorn »

Awwww, Jessi, I'm so sorry. **hugs** She had a wonderful life and I bet she wouldn't of traded time with you guys for anything. And the hand printing sounds so cute too.
Sig/Av by: thelonetiel
Fjorab_Teke
Human Avatar: 271433

Post by Fjorab_Teke »

*HUGS* I'm glad she had such a wonderful and caring person as you, and what a nice long life. It's hard to make that decision, but i think you made the right one to let her go peacefully, painlessly, and with dignity before she had to suffer.
zebru
Human Avatar: 156237

Post by zebru »

It never gets easier, does it? I had a few rodent pets which I adored but it seems you just blink and they are already fighting old age *hugs you tightly* She was a very fine rat, and I'm sure she couldn't have wished for better owners than you two. I love the print memorial idea.
Image Image
Snazzy reborn meepit by NyauNyau neopets * subeta
Alecko
Human Avatar: 267595

Post by Alecko »

Jessibean wrote: I don't know why I'm writing a rambling post about this hear... I guess because every day I'm reminded of what amazing little creatures rats are, and how they make such wonderful pets, and how they've completely touched my heart and changed my life.
Ignoring the fact that you weren't rambling, there's nothing wrong with getting something like this off your chest. Especially as your devotion to your rats in obvious whenever you mention them.

*Hugs* She was beautiful.
Marah
Human Avatar: 506145

Post by Marah »

Awww Jessibean, I'm so sorry for you, those pictures are adorable. Even when you know rats don't stay with you forever it still hurts to say goodbye when their time comes. Hugs!
Usul_Princess

Post by Usul_Princess »

Jessi, the print memorial sounds wonderful.You've always loved your rats, and taken very good care of them. I'm sorry to see one of them go.
ImageImage

Thank you TCStarwind for the lovely signature! ^_^

FC bets: http://www.neopets.com/~DazedBoy
Jessi
Human Avatar: 155904

Post by Jessi »

Thank you for all your kind words, everyone, it means the world to me <3 Luckily the past few days have been such a whirlwind that it's kept me pretty distracted.

The little imprint came out very nice after baking. I'll try to take a picture of it so you can all see. Again, thank you <3 *hugs all around* You guys are the best.
Wingsrising
Human Avatar: 157670

Post by Wingsrising »

I'm so sorry. :-( They get old so fast, don't they?
Faun

Post by Faun »

Im so sorry. the print sounds cute. when my cat got ran ovet we kept its collar in a little wooden box with its name on.
Neopets || Subeta
formerly known as fluffy-emo-wolf
Tumblr ||Twitter