Facebook?

Non-neopets general discussion.
Fjorab_Teke
Human Avatar: 271433

Facebook?

Post by Fjorab_Teke »

Is there any interest in someone (even me) creating a Facebook group for Neocolours? We already have one on LiveJournal, and it tends to get used for the rare instance that there's an issue with this site.

This idea was raised in the Subeta forum, but i wanted to see what the reaction would be to our populace at large.

I know there would be the issue of people not wanting to reveal their real names, and there's the little blur of the line with this essentially being an offsite Neopets fan site, but i guess that's the main reason there's not one yet. However, at least for me, i'm very easy to find on FB, and i tend to only add people to my inner circle of friends if i know/trust them.

I would also like to know if it's possible to make a closed/moderated community. If so, i'd be more open to the idea, and i'm willing to host it.
EofS

Re: Facebook?

Post by EofS »

Personally, I wouldn't do it. I keep Facebook as my public-facing presence on the internet - it's where I have colleagues, family, old school and university friends etc. I purposely keep it very separate from my private life (I have a small handful of people friended on there who I met on line, but mostly it's people I've then met in person) and joining a Neocolours group would unfortunately compromise that.

(In other words, it's not that I mind you guys finding out my real name, it's that I don't want people in the 'real' world finding out my username!)
Jessi
Human Avatar: 155904

Post by Jessi »

I don't really care about revealing my full name - a ton of you know it already - and I have a bunch of Neocolours people on my facebook already. However... to be honest, I have them on my facebook because they're people I talk to often -outside- of NC. Not that I don't love all of you guys, but I'm one of those people who doesn't have like, 400 facebook friends. I don't add every last friend I had as a kid or that I knew in high school or anything like that, mostly its just friends I have now or people that I actually -was- friends with in high school or college.

So... I wouldn't mind an NC group, but I'm not sure I'd ever join it. Mostly I use Facebook to just keep up with the daily happenings of my friends who don't have me on LJ (or who don't talk to me here ;D)
Faun

Post by Faun »

I would join. I don't care about you knowing my name or anything. I just have facebook because its there. :)
Neopets || Subeta
formerly known as fluffy-emo-wolf
Tumblr ||Twitter
Usul_Princess

Post by Usul_Princess »

I would actually like it. :) My information is too generic for the most part. I don't have a reason to disclose/divulge any important on details about me on the internet since most people know me by my internet alias 'Etienne' or 'Usul', I can keep axe murderers at bay.

With that said, I was highly reluctant to join FB regardless. The paranoia in me locked my profile to the point where someone would have to directly ask me do I exist. I did it to keep in contact with other people I befriend on the job. NC friends would be really nice.
ImageImage

Thank you TCStarwind for the lovely signature! ^_^

FC bets: http://www.neopets.com/~DazedBoy
Fjorab_Teke

Post by Fjorab_Teke »

Cool, thanks for the input so far! I don't mind one way or the other, since i have you all here, some on LJ, some on Subeta, some on Neo, and one or two on FB.

But if the interest is there, i'm a longstanding NC member and can navigate FB pretty well. Yes, there ARE various settings for group privacy and admissions. There's even a "secret" option where a group won't show up on your profile or in searches, and you can only join by invitation. Besides, i have long since forgotten to bother with keeping my online and real lives separate, and i've decided to live my life pretty fearlessly with a bit of alertness and savvy still to keep away unwanted attention, so i don't mind being the launching person.

I'll go ahead and create it, set it Secret, then can change or delete it if needed. :-)

NOTE: i will ONLY allow ESTABLISHED members of Neocolours into the group for obvious reasons, same as if we were doing a postal mail event because Facebook does show people's real names, and some people have allowed more personal information to be displayed on their profiles! I reserve the right to remove anyone who seems to be causing a problem. I am also willing to hand over admin rights to a TRUSTED member of Neocolours if the need arises.
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Post by AngharadTy »

That sounds like a good plan to me, Fjorab, although I'm not on facebook. It's nice that you can add secret groups, though, heehee.
Image Image
Fjorab_Teke

Post by Fjorab_Teke »

Ah, oops, i forgot to say...

The way to add people to this secret group is to (privately) send me your EMAIL ADDRESS if you're not on my friends list.