Fox kits!

Non-neopets general discussion.
Cranberry
Human Avatar: 183848

Fox kits!

Post by Cranberry »

We all like foxes here, yes? I love them.

My brother and I took my dogs, Crystal and Casper, for a walk today to see if we could get some pictures of a fox and her three kits who live near the dog park. There were two babies out when we got there, but one quickly ducked back into the den.

Mom tried to draw us away from the den, but when we didn't follow, she came back and kept a close eye on us.

We didn't stay long because we didn't want to upset her. We decided to head downtown... and along the way we stumbled across a second fox family of a mom and five kits!

Mom kept an eye on my brother:

My brother took these three:

Crystal and Casper both quietly sat and watched the foxes... all Crystal did was whine a bit at the babies (she likes puppies). I was proud of them! I'd like to go back and get more pictures as the kits grow.
TCStarwind
Human Avatar: 99635

Re: Fox kits!

Post by TCStarwind »

Wow, they seem so docile. Maybe it's just that where I live, wild animals won't come anywhere near people, but I can't believe she got so close to you. :O And is living under someone's porch? That's mind-blowing. But those puppies look so cute and huggable, and you guys got some great pictures. :)
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Post by AngharadTy »

Awwww foxes! I wish I could see some. So pretty. So cute.
Image Image
Kantark

Post by Kantark »

Awww! And I'd second the surprise at being able to get so close to them, and during the day too. And you had your dogs with you too? Wow, she really is comfortable around people/dogs.
Neopets: sparkygoesforth, decommissioned, nightfall, LiveJournal:kantark, Last.FM:Kantark
DamionDarkheart

Post by DamionDarkheart »

Last August, The Greenfield Recorder had a story about a 7-8 year old girl that fell in a river and went missing that was superseded on two consecutive days by a pair of total non-stories, the first of which was about how some guy had taken pictures of THREE BABY FOXES!!! (The second was a story about how sometimes there are tornadoes)

I am not joking. They dedicated the cover of that issue to baby foxes with a little tiny paragraph in the corner about the girl. The fox story even followed it onto the follow-up page, again completely dwarfing the other story (with a picture of all three playing).

Foxes are legion.
"Blah blah blah into the pie, bitch." Image
mellaka
Human Avatar: 48736

Post by mellaka »

They are so pretty and cute. I'm also surprised you could get so close to them. I think I've seen one fox outside a zoo ever, and it was running pretty fast in the opposite direction.
Cranberry
Human Avatar: 183848

Post by Cranberry »

I've been going back to see them fairly often. The dad has been around a lot lately:

And the babies are getting much bigger:

Here's a video of my dogs and a couple of the kits:

gomababe

Post by gomababe »

*dies of cute* Those are adorable and I'm amazed that the foxes will let you get so close to them. I guess because they're urban foxes they don't mind humans and their dogs so much because they're around both species all the time.Still, I don't think I'd ever be able to get that close to any foxes around here.