Blizzard's New True Name Policy

Non-neopets general discussion.
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Re: Blizzard's New True Name Policy

Post by AngharadTy »

Why did Microsoft think people would want to buy the Kin if they advertised it as a great tool for stalkers? I guess companies do stupid things. ;)
Image Image
Huggles
Feral Koala

Post by Huggles »

I hadn't even heard of Google Buzz. That is how much like Patrick Star I am. I only just started checking my mail more than once a month, and I never bothered clicking on the Buzz link. Apparently, I'm not in it if I don't create a profile? I've only just skimmed a bit on how to turn it off, but so far it just keeps sending me to the create-a-profile and sign-up page.
Wingsrising
Human Avatar: 157670

Post by Wingsrising »

I believe you're not in it if you don't create a profile NOW. But when Google launched it, not only were you in it, without a profile you couldn't make any of your information private. So, for example, because you'd occasionally used your Gmail account to email your abusive ex-husband (hypothetically speaking), he would automatically be signed up follow you, and have access to a bunch of private information, like where you worked and who your new boyfriend was.

At first if you used Gmail you were signed up for Buzz automatically and there was no way to de-sign-up. By default, the people who you emailed most frequently were added as followers, provided you both used Gmail, and your followers list was public by default, so anyone could see who you email most. (Bet a lot of cheating spouses got caught by that one). It was completely, totally insane. Made all the Facebook privacy flaps look like pikers. It blows my mind that Google ever, EVER in a million years thought that this would be a good idea.
Huggles
Feral Koala

Post by Huggles »

Wow, neat! I suppose I should be grateful that the people who email me most are bot spammers to my one gmail account, and widely known online merchants. It's good being a hermit.