Recommended Windows software?

Non-neopets general discussion.
Aqua

Recommended Windows software?

Post by Aqua »

Was hoping that some of you guys might have some good suggestions. :D

Last week I bought a new iMac i7, and with that I decided to make use of BootCamp for the upcoming semester of my New Media program and add Windows 7 (which feels really weird to have on a mac). Now I can use 3D Studio Max at home on a decent sized screen and speedy computer, rather than the laptop I was using previously. Hurrah!

However, its partition is about 100GB, and I've never used Windows 7 before (though I was a heavy windows user up until about 7 years ago, when I switched to the white and shiny side), so I'd like to find other uses for it. Is there any nifty/handy software I should get? Doesn't have to be productive to school (I have CS4 on the Mac side). So far I have 3DS Max, Trillian, Firefox, Metrotwit, AVG, VLC, and I'm probably going to grab Dropbox, IZArc, FileZilla, and look for a rss/google reader client and try SAI since everyone seems to like it.
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Re: Recommended Windows software?

Post by AngharadTy »

Get some Steam games that aren't available on Mac. I forget what all is on Mac by now... but get Psychonauts, Portal, and Audiosurf for sure. Of course, I can recommend dozens and dozens of games of many varieties if you wish. ;)

There's a Youtube downloader for grabbing videos you'll want later (I like to put videos on a phone to show someone away from computers).

I like Pidgin more than Trillian, but it's subjective.

I use my computer mainly for games (yayyy). And the internet (Chrome). And work (Word and Mathtype). I don't recommend the work. ;D
Image Image
Aqua

Post by Aqua »

I actually have Portal on my Mac, eager for Portal 2 though. :D I'll look at the other games though (but probably won't buy now.. iMac + Tuition + other things = byebye money).

Thanks for the suggestions.. How is Chrome for memory usage? I get nervous about using it because it seems to eat a lot more than Firefox does on OS X.
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Post by AngharadTy »

Firefox is a memory hog for me. I routinely have about 25 tabs open with Chrome, which only becomes a problem if I go into a fullscreen graphics-intensive game. (Reminder to self: Close Chrome before playing Dead Space, moron.)

Also, Chrome is faster. ;)
Image Image
Fjorab_Teke
Human Avatar: 271433

Post by Fjorab_Teke »

I think there was a post somewhere not terribly long ago about the pros and cons everyone had with the different browsers. All things considered, Firefox is still my favorite.

I prefer Trillian because i've been a faithful user for so long, and there are some things i miss about how it runs when i try something else, such as Pidgin. BUT indeed, it's all subjective, and everyone has their preferences. :)

Firefox has an RSS tab/folder option. I have a folder for it on my toolbar and peek at it multiple times a day for comics and favorite blogs.

If you like to fiddle around with digital music or need to edit some botched music files, Audacity is good stuff.
If you are a stargazer, Stellarium is really nifty.
Google Earth is another favorite of mine.
OpenOffice is a good alternative to the Micro$oft Office suite if you need that kind of stuff but can't justify buying it.

I'm glad i read this, though, since i picked up the YouTube downloader, hehe.
Aqua

Post by Aqua »

Yeah, I peeked at pidgin but Trillian was a long time favourite for me (and I like its minimal skin).

Forgot about Audacity, I'll probably get that and try it out. I'll check out the other things too. OpenOffice left a bad taste in my mouth on OS X though (though I do have it and word now). :x