F*** you, Deviantart. -virus help-

Non-neopets general discussion.
Pyrostatic

F*** you, Deviantart. -virus help-

Post by Pyrostatic »

I've got two viruses on my computer from that damned site. Just witnessed one getting in a few minutes ago. My computer's got good security, but I'm trying to figure out how to completely disinfect my computer. I've done a couple of scans, and they didn't find anything. But according to the report, I have 2 viruses. Maybe someone can help me figure out what's going on? I'll take screenies and such, just help. x.x;

And my second question, does anyone know of any safer art/writing gallery sites? I'm sick of DA. I cannot continue to risk my computer like this.
Please and thank you guys! :D
Nogitsune
Colourmeister

Re: F*** you, Deviantart. -virus help-

Post by Nogitsune »

Faster than a speeding cheeseburger, but not by much.
Pyrostatic

Post by Pyrostatic »

I shall look. It looks relatively new, but that's a very good thing. I don't like ads, so that's very nice.

edit: Eh, they're okay, if not, a little too strict for my liking. Some of my art is rather bloody and such. Thanks for suggesting though!
So basically, a site that is a little more open to all kinds of art.
Haken

Post by Haken »

Ya I've gotten viruses from DA in the past (but for some reason it only happened when I used IE)
I use firefox at the moment and have not gotten any viruses from DA. I still go on DA but don't go on it on other people's computers as I am afraid they might get a virus.
Pyrostatic

Post by Pyrostatic »

I'm using Firefox, so unfortunately, it can happen. x.x
I'm using Kapersky Internet Security 2010, so that's helped my computer big time. I highly recommend it to those who are looking for a anti-virus, security program. I just can't somehow disinfect the trojans/viruses/whatever they may be. x_x
Kantark

Post by Kantark »

Are you using Adblock Plus? That should stop anything coming in from a malware-style banner ad. If the virus is coming fom the site itself, well, that isn't good.
Neopets: sparkygoesforth, decommissioned, nightfall, LiveJournal:kantark, Last.FM:Kantark
Pyrostatic

Post by Pyrostatic »

I'm not too sure, but I think that's how I'm getting the viruses, is from the ads. Adblock Plus is a FF extension, right?
Kantark

Post by Kantark »

Yep, here's it is - it stops ads from a 'blocklist' of adservers from displaying, just leaving a blank space instead (and it's very effective - I can't remeber the last time I saw a banner ad). Definitely worth a look.
Neopets: sparkygoesforth, decommissioned, nightfall, LiveJournal:kantark, Last.FM:Kantark
Nogitsune
Colourmeister

Post by Nogitsune »

http://www.furaffinity.net/ may work. Not too many ads and they allow pretty much everything.
Faster than a speeding cheeseburger, but not by much.
TCStarwind
Human Avatar: 99635

Post by TCStarwind »

There's also Storm Artists. Not many people use it, though.
Pyrostatic

Post by Pyrostatic »

@Kantark
Thanks! I shall look into! ^^

@Nogitsune
Ah yeah, I forgot about them! I think that's most likely where I'm going to go, but I'll keep looking first. xD

@TC
Ooh, Storm's pretty cool too. Thanks for the suggestion!
-wonders if FA has a journal thing too-
Madge

Post by Madge »

As far as getting your computer clean, I'd personally recommend Malwarebytes.

It gets rid of almost everything, but the only downside is it can't protect your computer, it can only remove viruses from it (unless you pay for the full version)

http://www.malwarebytes.org/

Every couple of weeks I'll have a student bring a laptop to our helpdesk that is infested with viruses and this gets rid of most.

Exactly what is the virus doing? A screenshot would probably help, too. Just try doing a malwarebytes full scan (it can take about an hour sometimes) and restarting first since that might fix it *fingers crossed*

As far as protecting computers from viruses, I generally use microsoft security essentials (it's fantastic - but only works if you have a legal copy of windows, though), or AVG. Microsoft did a wonderful job with MSE, hopefully they'll lead the way in free anti virus programs since you don't need to spend hundreds of dollars to have something that equals Norton in the main benchmark tests.
Huggles
Feral Koala

Post by Huggles »

You also want to make note that not everything your av detects as bad is an actual virus. Cookies, registry keys, and other miscellaneous stuff will often flag even if it's not really doing anything particularly malicious. That doesn't mean you don't have one, but always make sure to read the descriptions for what has been found. One program might only flag part of a larger issue. I'd suggest downloading and scanning your pc with Malwarebytes. It was able to remove my trojan and fake antivirus virus on the first run, but I still ended up reformatting to be sure it was gone. I also usesuper anti spyware, Microsoft Security Essentials for active protection, Hostsmanfor hosts file lists, Adblock, and Comodo Personal Firewall. The hosts file lists really help to eliminate most ads, although I do miss out on some ads I wouldn't mind seeing.

Edit: Madge is faster!
Pyrostatic

Post by Pyrostatic »

@Madge @Huggles
Thank you very much, I'll take your word for Malwarebytes. I'll have to download and such after we've moved into our new house, cause I don't want to be a burden to my parents should something go wrong. xD;
I just decided that DA's not really for me anymore, so I'll just go elsewhere, most likely Storm Artists. Thanks again guys!