Holidays

Non-neopets general discussion.
Alicorn
Human Avatar: 160932

Holidays

Post by Alicorn »

Now for a topic for everyone to share how their Holidays are. Tell how your christmas was. Tell what you got. What are you doing for New Years? Dish!

Mines gone wonderful so far. Christmas Eve we opened all our presents because my mother in-law was working on Christmas so we celebrated it early. My sister in-law and her boyfriend came up too. It was so much fun. Other then the oven not really working right so the turkey taking longer. Then a hole tearing into the bottom of the foil pan the turkey was in, spilling juices all over the bottom of the oven and said juices burning, everything went great! Turkey came out great too. Then on christmas my father in-law and I went to his side of the families Christmas get together. Kali didn't go because she wasn't feeling all the well so she stayed home with the dogs and my sister in-law went to her boyfriends families get together. So just the two of us went. a lot of the family didn't make it because of one thing or the other. But it still was a lot of fun.

For New Years we are thinking of doing our tradition we started a couple years ago. Where we rent a few movies and stay up watching them till midnight. But this year my in-laws are talking about either taking us out for lunch or dinner to a country style restaurant and making a tradition out of doing that. Not totally sure though, they have to talk more on it.

And cause I find it fun to share what presents that you got, I shall share! ^-^
From my in-laws I got... Sims 3 for the Wii, Kirby Epic Yarn Adventure (can't wait to play both of those), Inception on DVD, Emperor's New Groove on DVD (finally! love that movie so much...llama face XD) and a couple shirts.
From my sister in-law and her boyfriend... pair of nice jeans, a hoodie and two awesome t-shirts (one has a ninja and says "kicking it like a ninja" and the other has a creature on it and it says "I live under your bed")
From Kali... Xena season 1 on DVD, yaoi novel (:3), Let The Right One In the novel, The Last Unicorn the novel and a pair of sweat pants
From kali's Nana... a over night bag and some money
And of course I got the typical eatable goodies and a few nifty little things. I got spoiled. We gave away jarred things that Kali made up (she already spoke of that in Achievements and Woe) and bought everyone a book. We still have to shop for my family in the States but that'll have to wait.

There, I think I yammered enough. ^-^;
Sig/Av by: thelonetiel
Jamie

Re: Holidays

Post by Jamie »

Yay! I quite like these type of threads.

I flew home to Yeppoon on the 21st and then we had a faux-christmas dinner with mum's side of the family which was really nice. It was a massive roast lamb with roast vegetables and heaps of other delicious sides. All of my 'mum's-side-cousins' were actually in one place which was awesome, except that I was roughly at least 14years older than all of them, so I spent half the night letting them climb on me and carrying them around the house upside down, much to my aunt's and uncle's delight (hyperactive kids!).

On christmas eve we drove to Bundaberg to spend actual christmas with my stepdad's family, whom I've never met. They were all really really lovely, we stayed at his parent's house and had lunch at his niece's new house. Her boyfriend is a chef so christmas lunch was so excessive but amazing. On boxing day we drove back to my house (Brisbane) and we're all still here. My mother, stepdad, sister, step-sister and step-brother. It's nice having them all here, (no cooking and cleaning!!).

I was quite spoilt this christmas, mainly because I just moved in to a new house with nothing in it. I got:

- dining set, bookshelfx2, tv entertainment unit, desk and a computer chair.
- white ghd
- 2x pandora beads for my bracelet
- usb hub
- socks
- necklace
- really nice pen
- chocolate, chocolate, chocolate!
- cologne

and a few other little things, a very very good haul!
Fury

Post by Fury »

Nice to hear you both had a good Christmas! Mine was lovely as always. My boyfriend drove over to Bosham, a small harbour town, to be with his mum and brother on Christmas Eve night and Christmas Day. I had to work on Christmas Eve but got to go home an hour early which is always nice!

I stayed over at my dads with my brother and we did the usual - slob in front of the telly and eat far, far too much chocolate. My brother Dan is a good cook so our dinner was brilliant as always; you just can't beat juicy turkey and huge dollops of cranberry sauce!

I was extremely spoilt this year and can't believe how lucky I am to be with such great people over Christmas. I got:

From my dad:
Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 2 on XBOX 360 (FUCK YEAAAH) My dad likes to wrap presents in unconventional ways so we don't guess what we've got - he put the game inside an old washing up powder box which... still had a bit of washing up powder inside. Cheers, dad.
Tons of sweets and chocolate!

From my dads girlfriend:
A pair of fluffy slipper boots
Cath Kidston Wild Rose hand cream - yummy!

From my brother:
Toy Story 3 DVD - can't wait to see this!

From my nan:
Money

From my boyfriend:
An iPod Touch - was seriously blown away by this as I had only asked for some books and DVDs. I still can't believe it now! It's got the beautiful new retina display which is amazing, two cameras and the ability to 'facetime'. Woo!
A £15 App Store gift card
The Girl With A Dragon Tattoo (book)
The Monster of Florence books x2 (One the true story, the other a fiction novel)
The Ricky Gervais Show DVD

From my boyfriends mum and brother:
Brown Leather Gloves
The Apprentice: Best of Series 1-4 DVD - haha!

And from two of my friends:
A candle
2 sketchbooks and some nice pens

I'm still sort of in shock at how lucky I've been this year. I feel very grateful! I hope everyone else had a great time and doesn't have to go back to work too soon!
Faun

Post by Faun »

I was totally blown away by how much stuff I got this year. I got:

A white DSI
Sims 3 DS
Professor Layton and the curious village.
Sonic colours DS ( I'm slightly annoyed that the wii version gets so much more attention. Although the wii version is defiantly better, the DS version is brilliant too.)
Spirit tracks. (I would have gotten it last year but there were too many other games I wanted)
Pokemon Ranger Shadows of Almia
Scribblenauts.
Naruto shippuden ultimate ninja storm 2. (YESSSSSSS!)
Sonic unleashed
Prince of persia
My name is Earl season 1 box set.
The I.T crowd complete series box set. <3
Some Copic markers
and lots of other little bits. ^_^
Neopets || Subeta
formerly known as fluffy-emo-wolf
Tumblr ||Twitter
Fury

Post by Fury »

fluffy-emo-wolf wrote: Naruto shippuden ultimate ninja storm 2. (YESSSSSSS!)
Hahaha, I got this too. Have you played it yet? I'm blown away by how awesome it is. I feel like a complete geek when I'm playing but I DON'T CARE. I've just finished my Sakura & Chiyo vs. Sasori battle and I was amazed at how it fuses cinematics with gameplay so seamlessly.

I'm scared to go online and battle other real people who will probably be infinitely better than me but I think I'll give it a go soon!
Kantark

Post by Kantark »

fluffy-emo-wolf wrote:The I.T crowd complete series box set. <3
Yay! I got series 1-3 last year. I loved the Head Over Heels-inspired DVD menus for series 1. And its awesomeness in general :-)
Neopets: sparkygoesforth, decommissioned, nightfall, LiveJournal:kantark, Last.FM:Kantark
Jessi
Human Avatar: 155904

Post by Jessi »

Lindsey and I are spending our Christmas in Chicago with my family, like usual - though it may be our last Christmas here for a while since we're moving to Seattle next summer and it's unlikely we'll have the funds to fly in so soon after moving! On the 23rd, we celebrated Christmas with her family, then flew in early on the 24th to Midway Airport... where we met up with my parents and headed for a 2 hour drive to my aunt's lake house in Montecello, Indiana.

It was my first Christmas -ever- not at my parents - and I'm 27! It was a unique experience, but there's tons of snow here and the lake was absolutely beautiful, plus it was a blast to spend Christmas with my favorite aunt and uncle at their lovely lakehouse.

My main gift this year from my parents was a Kindle, which I already love and promptly bought my favorite book for it - Watership Down, of course! I grabbed a few other gifts this year from my parents, aunt and uncle, inlaws, and Lindsey of course!

-Several new sweaters and pajamas, both of which I badly needed!
-A new blender, spritz cookie maker, and emulsion mixer from my aunt/uncle, because you can never have enough kitchen tools! (the blender makes a mighty fine margarita, btw - we tested it tonight and were pleased with the results!)
-Inception, the new release of Beauty and the Beast, and Field of Dreams (my favorite baseball movie of all time!) on DVD
-A special Pokemon championship card deck that revolves completely around Gardevoir (from Linds, of course!)
-The new Sugarland CD from my brother-in-law which was an -awesome- surprise!
-A beautiful hat/scarf in-one from Linds that I have been admiring for ages - plus more scarves cause I love scarves xD
-Awesome new Rocketdog shoes
-A new reusable cup that's the exact size of my usual Starbucks drink, so I can be more green with the immense amount of coffee I drink ;)
-Other stuff I can't remember cause it's all packed and shoved in a bag xD

Linds and I also got Wii Party as a joint gift from her parents, which is immensely fun and I highly recommend it to anyone who enjoys Wii Sports/Wii Play type games!

My sister and brother-in-law are coming in on the 29th, the day before we leave, because Heidi has a conference in Chicago, so we'll be exchanging gifts then. We fly back to Kansas on the 30th and I have to work bright and early at 8 AM on the 31st, sigh :c And at 9 AM on New Years - so my New Years will probably consist of staying up until midnight to ring in 2011 and then going to bed, haha. I feel old.
Officer 1BDI
Human Avatar: 150891

Post by Officer 1BDI »

I didn't get a lot this year (at least numerically), but I basically got everything I asked for:

* A new pair of headphones to replace the ones the family dog broke
* A new mic for my computer
* Professor Layton and the Unwound Future
* iTunes gift card
* $$$ for whatever comes along down the line.
Alicorn wrote:Kirby Epic Yarn Adventure (can't wait to play both of those)
My friend got this for Christmas and I went over to his house to play it for a couple of hours. The game is ridiculously adorable.
Fjorab_Teke
Human Avatar: 271433

Post by Fjorab_Teke »

I'm not doing "Christmas" or "my birthday" until visiting our folks mid- to late-January, so i might end up bumping this board.

The things my husband and i bought were already in AaToW - the wireless router and mouse and a bunch of music.
Faun

Post by Faun »

Kantark wrote:
fluffy-emo-wolf wrote:The I.T crowd complete series box set. <3
Yay! I got series 1-3 last year. I loved the Head Over Heels-inspired DVD menus for series 1. And its awesomeness in general :-)
I haven't even got a chance to watch it yet. My dad doesn't like it and he won't let me watch it. He's going back to work tomorrow though, so I'm going to start watching it. :P

Fury wrote:
fluffy-emo-wolf wrote: Naruto shippuden ultimate ninja storm 2. (YESSSSSSS!)
Hahaha, I got this too. Have you played it yet? I'm blown away by how awesome it is. I feel like a complete geek when I'm playing but I DON'T CARE. I've just finished my Sakura & Chiyo vs. Sasori battle and I was amazed at how it fuses cinematics with gameplay so seamlessly.

I'm scared to go online and battle other real people who will probably be infinitely better than me but I think I'll give it a go soon!
Yep, I've played it. I'm only up to the bit after the Gaara vs. Deidara battle because I have to share the PS3 with my brother and he just got Black ops for Christmas, so ha's on it all the time. ;__; The game is so awesome. I'm also scared to go online. I completely suck at the game and I would lose all the time.
Neopets || Subeta
formerly known as fluffy-emo-wolf
Tumblr ||Twitter
Usul_Princess

Post by Usul_Princess »

I got a nice pants suit
A pair of PJs
Orange soap that helps keep execema symptoms at bay.
The Sims 3 World Adventures

I didn't get a lot numerically either. I count $800.00 as one item :D (damn, that was a nice surprise!) I spent the last two days going on a video card hunt because I can't get TS3 to work on the PC for anything, no matter what video card it says it supports. It sets any fan-based card on fire until it shuts down. I'm not touching that game until I find a passively cooling card that impresses me. I spent $200 on clothes and a new Coach purse on megasale, and put the rest in savings.

I'm going to see my friend who lives a few hours away from me tomorrow. Haven't seen her since August. She's worth the $3.35/gallon. *shudder* Damn out-of-town gas price conspiracies!
ImageImage

Thank you TCStarwind for the lovely signature! ^_^

FC bets: http://www.neopets.com/~DazedBoy
Alicorn
Human Avatar: 160932

Post by Alicorn »

Officer 1BDI wrote:
Alicorn wrote:Kirby Epic Yarn Adventure (can't wait to play both of those)
My friend got this for Christmas and I went over to his house to play it for a couple of hours. The game is ridiculously adorable.
It is! I love it so much. I just love how everything looks and all the details in everything.
Jessibean wrote:Linds and I also got Wii Party as a joint gift from her parents, which is immensely fun and I highly recommend it to anyone who enjoys Wii Sports/Wii Play type games!
Good to know! I was planning on asking for this for Christmas. But with how often I get more then one person to play Wii with me (most of the time I don't even get one person. ^-^; ), I decided to wait. I want to get two other remotes just the same, which I think the game would be fun with four people playing.

I feel for you Usul. I wish you best of luck with video card hunting. I swear it's harder then it should be. *-* I have my TS3 sitting in a box somewhere till I get a computer with upgrades of pretty much everything. Which won't be till the far future. :p
Sig/Av by: thelonetiel
Kali_Lupine
Human Avatar: 189836

Post by Kali_Lupine »

Alicorn already told you how our holiday mostly went :) I felt bad missing my Nana's Christmas stuff, but I just couldn't do it. My anxiety went through the roof just thinking about it, which in turn upped my arthritis pain....anyway I thought it was really sweet that Alicorn went with my dad.

what I got for Christmas:
from my parents I got clothes (that need to be exchanged), my dad got me the novel True Grit because that is my fav John Wayne movie (and I don't watch movies much lol) and my mom got me an AMAZING small batch canning book. I can't wait for the swelling/pain to go down from my hands so I can make more jam/jelly/pickles! They also got me a canning pot and rack (YES!!!!) and some canning jars. They also gave me money to buy books since they never know what to buy me.
My sister and her husband got me an amazing sweater that has to be exchanged for a larger size (apperantly everyone thinks I've lost more weight then I have :) ) a great Asian cookbook, I can't wait to make curry!!! They also got me a decorative rock with a really sweet "sister" saying on it. Maybe I cried a little lol. My sister got me an chia herb garden that she searched forever to find (she finally had to order it online)
My godmother gave me a beautiful christmas tree ornament, she gives me one every year
My Nana gave me money and some dip mixes that I have been dying to try.
Alicorn gave me a Katy Perry CD and a Lady Gaga CD (I have been listening to them nonstop) some amazing books (my mom borrowed one already) an Archie comic book yay! Also a bunch of junk food including some amazing Gluten free cookies!
From a friend I got an online gift certificate to Amazon so I could get a book for my kindle! This is the gift that totally blew me away, without naming who it was I just want to say how thoughtful and sweet it was! I got a true crime book with it, and finished it in a day!

Forgive me if I have forgotten some stuff, I have an increadibly bad memory...anyway my holiday went really great and I am looking forward to New Years (alcohol free)

Edit: Fury I hope you enjoy The Monster of Florence, it is one of my favorite true crime books!
Wingsrising
Human Avatar: 157670

Post by Wingsrising »

I'm at my parents' house for the holidays and I had a great Christmas, although I miss my kitties. (They're back in Iowa being looked after by a petsitter... they would LOVE unwrapping gifts.) Luckily my parents have a great kitty to ease my kitty loneliness. :-)

My big present was a new iPod Touch. We had a very Apple Christmas: my Mom got my Dad a Nano, and when I opened the new Touch my Mom said, "This means I can have your old one, right?" :-) I'm already deep into a new 3D RPG that my old Touch wasn't fast enough to play.

I also got an electric toothbrush, a great woodblock print of crows that I'd admired at a local art gallery when I was here over Thanksgiving, an Alton Brown book and some kitchen gizmos, a $25 Amazon gift certificate that came with the iPod, some new moccasin slippers, some evergreen-scented soap and lotion, and some Addi Turbo knitting needles.

And, I'm having a great time relaxing and knitting and putting together my 2011 photo calendars instead of doing work like I should be doing. :-)

Merry Christmas (or end-of-year-holiday of you choice) everyone!
TCStarwind
Human Avatar: 99635

Post by TCStarwind »

Didn't do much for Christmas. On the Eve, I got dragged to church, and then we went to my grandma's house for dinner (I pigged out on scalloped potatos). Then the next day, we opened presents at home, then went to Grandma's house to open presents, and went to a cousin's house for "dinner". That's in quotes because none of those people can cook.

Stuff I got:
-BluRay Player
-New DSlite
-TGWTG & Kickassia DVD set
-Scot Pilgrim BR
-Beauty and the Beast BR
-Inception BR
-LOLkitten book
-HTTYD calendar
-Jack Skellington picture frame
-Fluffy socks
and
-1 ceramic shoe that I can grow a mini Christmas tree in

I think that's about it. So holidays were pretty good. :)