Book Recommendations Please

Non-neopets general discussion.
Kali_Lupine
Human Avatar: 189836

Book Recommendations Please

Post by Kali_Lupine »

Alicorn and I are going away in a few days for our honeymoon in Costa Rica. This involves long drives, long waits at the airport and of course a 5 hour flight. So of course my Kindle is coming along! What I am hoping for is some book recommendations so I can download a bunch of books before I leave. I want to make sure I have enough to last me, as I am a voracious reader!

Thanks in advance!
Joey
Secret Ninja Mod
Human Avatar: 166931

Re: Book Recommendations Please

Post by Joey »

If you like fantasy, I recommend Brandon Sanderson. Right now he's got two standalone novels (Elantris and Warbreaker), a trilogy (Mistborn, The Well of Ascension, and The Hero of Ages), and the first book of an epic series (The Way of Kings). Way of Kings in particular is bigger then my cat, so it's good for a long read. And they're all available on Kindle!
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Post by AngharadTy »

Here's a list of some of the books I have in .mobi format; PM me an email address if you want any of them, Kali. I've read all these, but not all on the Kindle, so test to see if they're formatted properly (I can fix them if they're not). Also, I have a ton of classics, wow. And a bunch of horror.

The Picture of Dorian Grey, Oscar Wilde
White Fang, Jack London
The Call of the Wild, Jack London
Fight Club, Chuck Palahniuk
Emma, Jane Austen
Sense and Sensibility, Jane Austen
Jane Eyre, Charlotte Bronte
A lot of Christopher Moore books--his books are funny and brilliant; I like Lamb best
Rendezvous with Rama, Arthur C. Clarke--classic scifi, I have the other Rama books too but haven't read them yet
Almost anything by Stephen King; I've only disliked a couple books in his repertoire, and I have about half of them
Similarly, everything Michael Crichton--even the ones that aren't great are still enjoyable; I have Airframe and The Terminal Man
The Ender quartet, Orson Scott Card--I don't like him as a person, but I do love a lot of his books
The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Heart Shaped Box, Joe Hill--Stephen King's son, this is a surprisingly good ghost story
The Time Traveler's Wife, Audrey Niffenegger

And here are books I have that I really, really want to read:

Kim, Rudyard Kipling
The Time Machine, H. G. Wells
The War of the Worlds, H. G. Wells
Frankenstein, Mary W. Shelley
Heart of Darkness, Joseph Conrad
Siddhartha, Hermann Hesse
The Hellbound Heart, Clive Barker
Ubik, Philip K. Dick
The Gemma Doyle trilogy, Libba Bray
Poppy Z. Brite's first three books
The Strain, Guillermo del Toro & Chuck Hogan
The Girl Who... books (Millenium Trilogy), Stieg Larsson--I've seen the movies of the first two, fantastic, can't wait to read
Chalice, Robin McKinley--I love everything by her, this is the one I haven't read. She does really good retellings of fairy tales and really good original fantasy
The Forest of Hands and Teeth, Carrie Ryan
John Dies at the End, David Wong
Elsewhere, Gabrielle Zevin
Image Image
Cranberry
Human Avatar: 183848

Post by Cranberry »

I read a lot of YA fiction because I have friends in the industry and they're always giving me recs. Some of it is excellent. Have you read The Hunger Games trilogy by Suzanne Collins? If you like dystopian fiction (as I do), the trilogy is a fast-paced, entertaining read with so many unexpected twists. I also really liked Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta. I can't explain it at all because the plot is like... well, one of my friends described it as a Möbius strip, which is pretty apt. Everything is tied so neatly into everything else. The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks (by E. Lockhart) and Prep (by Curtis Sittenfeld) are also both great because of the way you get inside the characters' heads.
Kamil
Not the nice one
Human Avatar: 72834

Post by Kamil »

The trip sounds like it's going to be fabulous, and I hope you two have an amazing time. I'm going to toss another fantasy recommendation your way; it's mostly what I read anymore, and besides, it's wonderful. =D

The Deed of Paksenarrion, written by Elizabeth Moon. If you like them then you can read her Legacy of Gird (which is a prequel), and then finally you can read the Paladin's Legacy series. It's currently being written, with Oath of Fealty out, Kings of the North due in March, and then two (or possibly more, the author says) untitled books yet to be written.

These are so, so good, and I've never given them to anyone who didn't love them. They're classic high fantasy, and were written because the author got tired of all of the Lawful Stupid Paladins being played everywhere she looked. Trufax.

Best of all, I know they're available on Kindle, and if you want to try the first book in the Paks omnibus edition, Sheepfarmer's Daughter, out for free, it's available as a web-read here.. =D
Image Image
MM and Twofold rock, yo.
Alicorn
Human Avatar: 160932

Post by Alicorn »

Oooo, I shall be stealing some of these recommendations for myself. Some of these sound like I would really enjoy them. **makes notes** Though I have plenty to read on the trip, these will be good for the future. :3

Ty, the Time Machine is wonderful. I read it for school in 12th grade I think. I remember thinking I wouldn't enjoy it but it totally pulled me in. I know you'll enjoy it too when you get to read it. I've also read The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo. I did enjoy it but there were parts that confused me. They were about financial stuff (which seems to be talked about a lot in the book and for a long period of time, or so it feels like). I also found said parts to be boring. I haven't seen the movies so I'm not sure if those parts are in the movie much or not, so I thought I give you a heads up. I don't know if I'll read the other two yet.
Sig/Av by: thelonetiel
niklnip

Post by niklnip »

If you like stories about dragons, theres the Eragon series of course. I remember reading a REALLY good book called Eon: The Last Dragoneye... I cant remember the author though :\ she was a woman though :P
ImageImage
Joey
Secret Ninja Mod
Human Avatar: 166931

Post by Joey »

niklnip wrote:I remember reading a REALLY good book called Eon: The Last Dragoneye... I cant remember the author though :\ she was a woman though :P
Alison Goodman. It's the current book I'm reading, and it's good so far.
Kali_Lupine
Human Avatar: 189836

Post by Kali_Lupine »

Thanks to everyone who suggested titles for me! A special thanks to Ty for sending me some e-books! I read around 4 or 5 books while I was gone, mostly ones Alicorn found for me, or ones I already had. But I did read Lamb and it is now one of my favorite books! Other than that I read:

Into The Forest - Jean Hegland
The Year of the Flood - Margaret Atwod
One Thousand White Women - Jim Fergus
The Space Between Us - Thrity Umrigar

I would recommend them all, especially to those who are fans of literary fiction. Into the Forest is one of my top favorite books, as is The Year of the Flood (keep in mind if you want to read it, that it is the sequel to Oryx and Crake)