Seattle or Bust! (pictures and stuff!)

Non-neopets general discussion.
Jessi
Human Avatar: 155904

Seattle or Bust! (pictures and stuff!)

Post by Jessi »

Well, as most of you know, last week Lindsey and I took a short but amazing trip to Seattle, Washington! The primary reason for this trip was to look at apartments for our move there this summer. It was a whirlwind of a trip - less than 3 days and a LOT to do!

Our plane left a few minutes late from Kansas City on Wednesday because, according to our flight attendant, "a passenger wanted to bring their goats on the plane." We couldn't figure out if this was a joke until we arrived in Seattle after the flight - and saw in fact that GOATS (as in, baa baa hoofed animals) were in fact unloaded from the cargo area. This was after we sat on the damn tarmac in Seattle for 30 minutes because another plane was blocking our gate - not to mention we had to courtesy check one of our bags due to lack of overhead storage x_X After waiting about 20 minutes to get our bag, we had to rush to our rental car and hop on the road ASAP - and reschedule our first apartment viewing, haha.

I uploaded photos from the five apartment complexes we saw, but those photos are rather boring. Here is the link to the Photobucket album they're in, however! They're tagged by complex name and at least one photo from each group has our pros and cons. Right now we are majorly leaning towards Indigo Springs in Kent, Washington with Bryson Square as a close second. At least one complex, Atrium on James, has been given a strong No. Have fun poking through those if you're into that sort of thing xD

After the crazy day of hopping from apartment to apartment, letting our tomtom get us through a place we had NEVER been before and not eating for 10 hours, we finally managed to grab dinner, grab Starbucks, return our rental, go to our (crappy) hotel and SLEEP. We were in bed by 9 PM local time, since we had a two hour time difference and a lot of exhaustion, haha.

The next day was fun day - EXPLORING SEATTLE DAY! We got up early, grabbed breakfast at the hotel, and headed down the street to the Tukwila Station to catch the Link Lightrail to downtown.

Let me just say, by the way, that Seattle has AMAZING public transportation. Not only did we ride the light rail with no issues, but we also had no problem figuring out the bus route (thanks to the handy Metro planning site and our phones xD) and I got the hang of riding the bus fairly easily, which goes pretty much everywhere.

Once downtown, we hung out at Westlake Center, exploring the various balconies around it so I could take pictures of the city-

And then we decided to head down Pine street to 1st and Pike - AKA PIKE PLACE MARKET, the most magical place in the world!

(this is also my favorite photo from the trip, haha)
We could have seriously spent all day at Pike Place, it was so amazingly overwhelming. I'd never seen so many awesome things for sale, so many individual craft booths, so many unique foods, and so much fish in one place in my life xD If you ever get the chance to go to Seattle, at least stop by this place, but be prepared to be totally blown away and not know what to do first! We plan on spending an entire day there once we move in August!

Oh, I also got coffee from the very first Starbucks ever. One of my many Starbucks this trip (cause in Seattle, it felt only natural to drink my weight in Starbucks coffee).

Just beyond Pike Place, there's a pretty park overlooking the bay, and some passing girls were kind enough to take our picture!

We then walked back to Westlake Center and hitched a ride on the monorail from Westlake down to the Space Needle! We didn't go up top this trip (too expensive!) but we did take some pictures of it, of course!

We then decided to explore the buses, so after getting our route information, we hopped on a bus that took us from Seattle Center down to the International District -

Where we found the giant Japanese store there, Uwajimaya, and spent the next two hours or so stuffing our faces with food (kitsune udon, yuuuuum). By this point, though, it was pouring rain and we were both getting cold and tired, so we didn't spend as much time in the International District as either of us would have liked, I'm sure. Next time! After exploring what we could, we caught another bus back to Westlake, found a bubble tea stand (HOORAY), wandered around to find Lindsey a new umbrella, and finally found a place to get dinner. When we went into the restaurant for dinner, it was still pouring rain - but when we stepped out an hour later:

SUNSHINE, GLORIOUS SUNSHINE!

We enjoyed the sunshine for a bit before we were just about to collapse and took a trainride back to our hotel and... well, we were in bed by like 9 or 10 again, haha.

The next day it was already back to the airport and flying back to Kansas City (with a 3 hour layover in Denver, whoo).

We both had an amazing time, however *_* Seattle is wonderful, and we got to experience some of its 'typical' weather (on Wednesday night, during dinner, it was sunny and gorgeous outside but absolutely pouring rain xD) and some of the wonders of the city, and I can't wait to go back xD We will be moving at the end of July, SO EXCITED! Now we just need to finish getting our apartment and all that junk -- STRESS! So much stress!

Also, the pictures here are just a very, very small smattering of all the photos we took! I have them in a public album on Facebook and there are some other nice ones there, too!
Kali_Lupine
Human Avatar: 189836

Re: Seattle or Bust! (pictures and stuff!)

Post by Kali_Lupine »

eeeeee love the pics! I am so excited for you both! And boy do I know how you feel about sunshine, we had a bit of a snow blizzard here yesterday! Someday you'll have to come visit Ali and I in the great white north and we'll take you to the HUGE Japanese mall in TO. That's where I've gotten most of my Japanese plates, bowls, etc including a beautiful tea set.

PS-You MUST try Tim Horton's coffee someday if you like Starbucks. When I worked at Chapters (huge book store) we had a Starbucks attached, and the 30% discount made it worthwhile....but man is it hard to live in a town without a Timmys! *makes a note to buy Tim Horton's Coffee to make at home*