September is Arthritis Awarness Month

Non-neopets general discussion.
Kali_Lupine
Human Avatar: 189836

September is Arthritis Awarness Month

Post by Kali_Lupine »

hey all, I just wanted to share some info and such :D I've lived with joint pain since I was 15, but it was only a few years ago that I found out it was Rheumatoid Arthritis. Since then my pain level has been up and down, but stayed mostly at a 7 out of 10 on most days, keeping me from doing simple things...as simple as getting down on the floor to pet Lute because I couldn't get up once i was down.

Since then, pain management classes and some natural pills have brought my pain level down to an incredible 0!!!! I was hoping that some of you would share your stories of aches and pains and your preferred treatment, be it natural, over-the-counter or prescription. Maybe we can help each other avoid more joint/muscle/etc pain :D

so........my biggest pain fighter is simple. I take a hot bath, cold aggravates my joints and heat soothes it. Combined with the fact that I love the water, a hot bath always makes me feel better. (luckily my electricity is built into my rent so I don't pay out the wazoo for hot water, and we are on well water so I can take as many baths as I need.)

Meditation helps as well. The classes I took in pain management were all about mindfulness, besides helping with my physical pain, they helped a lot with my emotional pain (I have finally realized they go hand in hand lol?)

Looking forward to hearing any tips y'all have! Hope we can all have a (mostly) pain free month!
Griffin
Human Avatar: 156329

Re: September is Arthritis Awarness Month

Post by Griffin »

I was diagnosed with arthritis as a kid, but I'm not sure if I really have it. It wouldn't be the only misdiagnosis I've gotten (e.g. lupus), since I've had mysterious health issues that I couldn't describe to doctors. I've still gotten nowhere with that. My unofficial self-diagnosis is "sensory defensiveness" and "a screwed up brain".

I don't know a lot about arthritis, but I still may have some form of it. My hips, legs, and feet give me a lot of pain lately, and I'm afraid they're getting worse. :/ I had to give up my compulsive habit of getting a healthy 10k steps a day, and my legs kill me when I have to stand for an hour or so (but my hereditary bad circulation is a more likely culprit there). I've been avoiding telling the doctor because, well, what can I do about it? He'll either tell me to stay off my feet or to get surgery, and I figuratively and literally can't afford to do either. And he'll run a test that'll cost over a hundred dollars just to come to either conclusion, as is always the case. If your sickness doesn't kill you the bills will, that's American health care. e_e

My solution for pain? Sitting and resting as much as possible. And bribing foot massages from the boyfriend. :p It makes me feel like a couch potato, and that's a shame because I would walk all day if I could. I never could run, but I envy runners. It must feel like flying if their feet don't hurt.
Kali_Lupine

Post by Kali_Lupine »

resting and sitting are definitely solutions for me as well, actually Ali just went down to 4 days a week at work instead of 5 (voluntarily) so she could be around more. Things just weren't getting done around the house and I was having a hard time coping when I was alone.

it can be annoying, but there are only two chairs that are comfortable enough for me to sit in for long periods of time. My blue leather recliner here at the apartment, and my parent's leather theater chairs. Other than that I tend to lay in bed a lot when I am in pain.

I used to also be a constant walker, I usually tried to do 10k steps a day...but I was usually happy with 5 miles or so. Now I just usually do a 30 min walk to my parents place when I can.
Marah
Human Avatar: 506145

Post by Marah »

Thank you Kali, I learned something new this month. Arthritis sounds horrible to be honest, to be not be able to do even the simplest things must be so hard. Glad things like meditation and such help a bit.

Wishing you and Griffin a pain free month as well!
Emberton

Post by Emberton »

My grandmother used to drink something that had a lot of citrus in it and stuff to reduce calcium deposits, but that was many years ago and I don't know how medically sound it was. She called it her witches brew. Do you know what kind of arthritis it is? I've got a little of it but only in my knees, it makes it impossible to run very far and gives me pains when I do any bending. I can live with it but it's not fun.
Kali_Lupine

Post by Kali_Lupine »

I have rheumatoid arthritis, which is an auto-immune disease. There seems to be a strong auto-immune gene on my mothers side, because my mom, sis and I all have 2 auto-immune diseases. They both have some sort of thyroid auto-immune disease and I have the arthritis....we all have celiac disease as well. Yay for my immune system attacking me lol.
Beautiful

Post by Beautiful »

I am glad to hear of your successful pain management story. I have been living with back pain that fluctuates from day to day for quite some time. The best think I have found to get temporary relief is a heat bad and getting rest. Maybe I'll try some of your remedies though.