Hey guys, guess who met her favorite musician?

Non-neopets general discussion.
Acey Enn

Hey guys, guess who met her favorite musician?

Post by Acey Enn »

I'm not seeing a general pictures thread (gosh, this place has changed a lot since I last came here, organization-wise), so I figured I'd post this in its own thread.

On Sunday, I managed to meet the notoriously elusive John Linnell, one of the lead singers (and the keyboard/accordion player) for They Might Be Giants. Linnell is my favorite musician of all time, and I was super excited and probably came across as really awkward, but he was totally cool about it and even took a picture with me!

Not a terribly flattering photo of either of us, but still. It's proof that I met him in person. And that is, in my book, friggin' awesome.

After the show, Linnell, John Flansburgh (the other lead singer/lead guitarist), and Marty Beller (the drummer) signed a vinyl copy of their latest album. That was pretty awesome too!

Has anyone else run into someone famous lately?
guess who's back
back again
acey's back
tell a friend
Fjorab_Teke
Human Avatar: 271433

Re: Hey guys, guess who met her favorite musician?

Post by Fjorab_Teke »

Awesome!! I love TMBG. Circumstances always get me to miss their shows. The time they came close to my hometown, i was clear across the USA, and now they're going to cities 5 hours away from where i am now - almost all sold out shows though.

I notoriously DO run into favorite musicians, on purpose of course. And i've been lucky to be a fan of so many nice people.

My favorite is Alan Parsons, who is best known for The Alan Parsons Project (70s/80s prog rock), as well as his work on the Beatles' "Abbey Road" and Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon." I'm lucky to be part of a superfan group with friends who are friends with Alan, and i've been fortunate in the past few years (especially the past two) to meet up with him at shows. He and his wife and his band are pretty familiar with me now. I saw them just a few nights ago.

The first major celebrity i met was Moby, one of my other very favorites. He's a fun guy to hang out with. I met him the same way, though through a different friend. I haven't been able to go to any of his shows since 2002 though.

A few weeks ago, i went to my second Weird Al show, and he had a little time after the show and aftershow party to greet fans who mingled out back. It was surprisingly few of us, so we got pictures and signatures and so on.

Some of my other favorites who i've met are very obscure, mostly met them through Alan Parsons (either they were once part of his tour band or were in a multi-act event he was at).