RL Achievements and ToW

Non-neopets general discussion.
thelonetiel
Human Avatar: 15268

Re: RL Achievements and ToW

Post by thelonetiel »

I'm pretty sure being awesome is the best way to combat that kind of bigotry Madge. Being out is really hard - so congrats on doing what you have! It's kinda boggling that being a terrific partner can get overshadowed so easily.

I'm glad to hear things are getting better, and I hope they continue that way. Though, I kinda want an invite to the Italian Catholic Triad Commitment Ceremony, because that sounds really entertaining to watch the reactions. ;)

Poly is so awkward - I have close friends that I discuss my love life with, but these days my parents barely get any information on it, my Facebook is devoid of any relationship talk, and I avoid mentioning things around co-workers or anyone I think might catch on to the fact that I visited a boy in California and also keep going on dates in Seattle... I look forward to the day when poly is more of an accepted, open thing, and it does seem like there's some slow improvement.
Madge

Post by Madge »

I am trying my damndest to be as out as reasonable, but I've had people warn me not to... but fuck it, I have a stable government job, as if they'd be allowed to fire me??

One of my (poly) friends is running for office in the Australian Sex Party (yes, it's a thing, and it's not quite as fringe as you'd think), and she says that their platform actually supports polyamory.... not that I've seen anything to that effect on their website beyond a rather bland statement along the lines of "all relationships are special and valuable and should be recognised". Australia does have a Polyamory Action Lobby which purports to try and campaign for rights.... but I sent them an email offering my full support if they want to do anything in WA and crickets. (I help run WA's polyamory meetup group so I have some level of clout).

As far as family goes: my parents have met the new beau and love him to bits. He's actually going to come with me to my mother's 50th birthday party in malaysia (she was born there), because Paul refuses to go to the country on principal. Paul's mum has met the new beau and also loves him to bits. It's only a matter of time before me and the three mothers have fancy tea and scones together whilst chatting about decoupage or something.

There will be no Italian Catholic Triad Committment Ceremony in which I'd be involved, sadly. The thought of a possible wedding (in a while! the relationship is about 6 months old) is a little frightening because I have no idea what to do about a poly wedding. I'd want boyfriends/girlfriends of the bride and groom to be involved in the wedding somehow, and this is something me and Paul are going to have to think about since people keep on asking us when the wedding is and we keep on shrugging at them.

Also, did I say? Paul has a new girlfriend and they make the most adorable couple. And now our polycule got a lot more interesting:

The best thing is we met her and B at a wedding years and years ago and have seen them around the place for a while. Paul's always had a little bit of a crush on her. Then one day they showed up at the polyamory meetup group and the rest is history! Just warms your heart doesn't it????
Jessi
Human Avatar: 155904

Post by Jessi »

I have a lot of random achievements to talk about, haha!

My best friend from college, Adam, and his girlfriend Kate moved to Seattle! It's awesome having such a good friend be so close. We got together last night for burgers and conversation, and he's a 20-minute drive away right now - it'll be even less when we finally move to the city next year. Overall it's just a really awesome thing.

Last month I got to go to LA for a wedding and hang out with Ty for a few days, which was awesome - we haven't seen each other in 5 years! Not that we missed a beat; it was like we'd hung out every day between 5 years ago and now, so that was wonderful (thanks again for having us, Ty <3 You and Derek rock).

Oh, it was also mine and Lindsey's 5 year anniversary a few weeks ago, which is insane. Which means Cairo is also 5?! SHE WAS JUST A TINY KITTEN. So confused.

Biggest achievement I think is that I've now lost over 70 pounds. I'll post about it on the fitness thread more, but I'm just really, really happy with my progress so far!
Jamie

Post by Jamie »

A few little achievements lately;

Firstly, my roommate and I got approved yesterday to rent this cute little cottage-style Queenslander. It's pretty much exactly what we were after and in an area really close to work for me:
Spoiler: open/close
Secondly, this is actually a bit of old news. Back in July I was browsing online at dogs, not an uncommon night time activity for me. Anyway, this little guy was the last of his litter available and the breeder happened to be less than an hour away. I couldn't resist and contacted them right away and a few weeks later he was mine. Sadly, I was living in a unit at the time so he's been staying at my mother's house since with me visiting when I can. But as of the 30th, we'll be in the new house which has a nice backyard and a large undercover deck at the back for him! His name is Perrin and he's a Cocker Spaniel.
Spoiler: open/close
Perrin at ~6weeks old, still with the breeder.

Perrin at ~10weeks. His first time with a leash.

At the beach.

Just lounging around the yard.

I'm so excited for him to finally come and live with me!
EofS

Post by EofS »

Oh that look he's giving you when his muzzle's covered in sand. *Melts*
Jazzy
Devil's Advocate

Post by Jazzy »

He is adorable, and that house is so cute! It makes me think of summer and the beach.
Katy... :)

Post by Katy... :) »

My sister is ENGAGED!!! I am so excited.
I have gone through so much drama the past few weeks between her and her fiance trying to help make this happen I am so excited it's done.

She's happy, excited, and hopeful for the future and I couldn't ask for more. I know it's silly to post about this, but it's been a long time coming. Her and her fiance have been together for seven years, five of those long distance, they were made for each other, and I couldn't be happier for them.
krbs86
I will always be a blue evil fuzzle.
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Post by AngharadTy »

Aw, I always like hearing about silly romantic things. I'm glad people can find happiness like that.
Image Image
EofS

Post by EofS »

That's very exciting, and how fun that you got to be involved in it - even if it sounds like it maybe wasn't fun at the time.

And hurrah for enduring long distance relationships which lead to engagement! They're the best kind.

(And if I can offer one tip for a wedding? Buy Lego. It's much cheaper than a DJ and the guests will love it ;0)
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen

Post by AngharadTy »

One of the things I was happiest about with my wedding was not having a DJ. We made playlists beforehand and called that good. Wedding DJs tend to suck. "Now I'll play We Are Family! You don't expect that!"
Image Image
Madge

Post by Madge »

So, guys? Remember a little further up the page I mentioned about poly and wanting to be "as out as possible"?

Doesn't get much more out than this:

http://i.imgur.com/7tkmFpP.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/9KHVpNK.jpg

(yep.... article about us in http://www.scoop.com.au/Magazines/Scoop-Magazine - you can read it on the website too but it's an awful interface)
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen

Post by AngharadTy »

aw! That's so sweet! With such lovely photos, awww!
Image Image
Madge

Post by Madge »

I know! And the photographer was lovely and emailed us high quality copies of a few of them!
Kantark

Post by Kantark »

Hey, that's pretty cool, Madge is famous! One question though - is that a bicycle hanging from the ceiling?!
Neopets: sparkygoesforth, decommissioned, nightfall, LiveJournal:kantark, Last.FM:Kantark
Madge

Post by Madge »

Yes that is a bicycle! I was a little bit "I'm not sure if that makes us look good because there's a bike in the photo so we're active or something, or if it looks bad because it's junk lying around the house"

(If you're more wondering how it's hanging from the ceiling, it's on a gravity bike stand)