Sports & Fitness

Non-neopets general discussion.
Fury

Sports & Fitness

Post by Fury »

It seems from the New Year's resolutions thread that quite a few of our members are into fitness so I thought: why not have a thread dedicated to it?

Here you can talk about what your goals are in fitness, ask advice, get ideas as to setting up a workout routine, diets - anything! Don't be shy. :D

I'm currently doing Bodypump, Spin and Squash during the week and ab exercises every morning and night. I like to set myself targets for Bodypump (in case anybody doesn't know what it is and is interested: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hs7yEyGnJ5o) because I like to have something to work towards. I managed to hit every target bar one in 2012 so I'm going to push myself a bit harder in 2013.

What I'm liftinng currently / what I hope to be lifting by the summer:
Spoiler: open/close
WARM-UP
7.5kg / 10kg

SQUATS
17.5kg / 20kg

CHEST
10kg / 12.5kg

BACK
12.5kg / 15kg

TRICEPS
7.5kg / 10kg

BICEPS
7.5kg / 10kg

SHOULDERS (free weights)
2.5kg / 3kg

LUNGES (bar)
10kg / 15kg

All of these goals are fairly realistic. The weights don't sound heavy at all but Bodypump emphasises low weights and high reps - a big difference to traditional weightlifting that focusses on heavy weights with low reps.
I'm still undecided on whether I want to start hitting the heavy weights in the weight room. I'm going to buy myself a couple of 6kg dumbells for home to improve my biceps, triceps and shoulders and keep up the spinning classes to strengthen my legs.

I started swimming again in July after not having swam for years. I used to be really good at it but I've completely lost my form and need to learn the proper breathing techniques for front crawl. I think I'll start that up again!

So guys; what sports and fitness are you involved in? Is there something new you want to try in 2013?
Joey
Secret Ninja Mod
Human Avatar: 166931

Re: Sports & Fitness

Post by Joey »

My main sport thing has been Kendo. I'm pretty bad at it, but the Kendo club at my school is really awesome and understanding of my failure at sports. This upcoming quarter I'm finally going to start wearing armor and getting hit, so fun times there.

I kind of want to take up jogging so I can build up more stamina, but I'm not sure where to start.
Wingsrising
Human Avatar: 157670

Post by Wingsrising »

Joey wrote:I kind of want to take up jogging so I can build up more stamina, but I'm not sure where to start.
Do you have a smartphone? How do you feel about zombies?

I've been using the Zombies, Run! app to get myself walking more (you don't actually have to run, most exercises work) and they have a 5k trainer that's supposed to be good for beginning runners. I'm planning on trying it this spring, not so much because I want to be a runner or run a 5k, but more to try improve my overall fitness and stamina.

https://www.zombiesrungame.com/
redsea_

Post by redsea_ »

I tore my ACL last January and it still might be a while until I can get the surgery but I want to start getting back into my old workout habits. Maybe this thread will give me some motivation and encouragement. I just started lifting again at home. Anyone know some good knee friendly cardio?
Ierosbats

Post by Ierosbats »

I know one of my 2013 resolutions should be to finally suck it up and get a gym membership, but I just can't make myself do it. I have an elliptical trainer and a stationary bike at home (as well as a street bike for the summer, but in northern Canada that's like... June to August), and a few small free weights, a gymnic ball, and a yoga mat... so I've settled into a fairly comfortable routine using combinations of those things (plus all the stuff you can do with just the weight of your own body) but I'm starting to feel like I need a gym to see any really significant changes. My problem is the whole "go to the gym to get in shape, but not yet in shape enough to make an appearance at the gym" thing. I don't know what that's about. I guess being the awkward, skinny kid in high school gym class never really leaves you, even years later as an adult. I feel like I'll walk in and everyone will just look at me like I'm lost. I feel sort of guilty complaining about being underweight because I know that's a problem lots of people would like to have, but it's really holding me back. It doesn't bother me much in my day-to-day life, but when it comes to working out and being around people who already have great bodies, I just feel like a goofy stringbean everyone will laugh at. I haven't figured out how to shake that.

The good news is I'm not actually trying to beef up that much, so maybe it will be possible to do it at home. I think diet is as much of the issue as exercise is. In fact, a lot of people have been telling me if I'm looking to put on weight, I actually need to stop the cardio routine I've been doing, but... it feels so counter-intuitive. I like cardio, and find weights really boring. Plus I'm an Enneagram Five and my natural instinct is to just shun my body and spend 10 hours on tumblr, so I'm trying to nurture any physical activity I can actually enjoy. A big part of it for me has been finding the right music to run to. I can directly attribute 90% of my success to Kylie Minogue, but I'm always looking for new suggestions.

Any gym success/horror stories? I think probably what I need is a gym buddy, but approximately 0% of my friendships are based on physical activity. Unless you count Mario Party, which can get pretty heated.
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.
Pulse

Post by Pulse »

redsea_ wrote:I tore my ACL last January and it still might be a while until I can get the surgery but I want to start getting back into my old workout habits. Maybe this thread will give me some motivation and encouragement. I just started lifting again at home. Anyone know some good knee friendly cardio?
Honestly, you should try to do anything low impact or upper body style high intensity, interval training. Try to avoid things like running on a hard surface and maybe try biking, or an elliptical machine. Or if you are lucky enough, you could try jogging on the beach in the summer.
Fury

Post by Fury »

Ierosbats wrote:My problem is the whole "go to the gym to get in shape, but not yet in shape enough to make an appearance at the gym" thing. I don't know what that's about. I guess being the awkward, skinny kid in high school gym class never really leaves you, even years later as an adult. I feel like I'll walk in and everyone will just look at me like I'm lost. I feel sort of guilty complaining about being underweight because I know that's a problem lots of people would like to have, but it's really holding me back. It doesn't bother me much in my day-to-day life, but when it comes to working out and being around people who already have great bodies, I just feel like a goofy stringbean everyone will laugh at. I haven't figured out how to shake that.
I know exactly how you feel about this! I think gyms are thought of as very intimidating places. They tend to be very clique-y (but not always) and if you're new, chances are people are going to look at you when you walk through the door. After all the sort of people who go to a gym are conscious about appearance, size and weight - that's why they're there!

But don't let it put you off! If possible, try encouraging a friend to go with you, even if it's only once. Once you get through the door for the first time you will start to build your confidence and get to a stage where you feel comfortable going in alone. Even so, there's always the notion of 'there's always someone worse off than yourself' - I'm sure you'll see some sights in the gym that will make you appreciate the body you have. You could also try going late at night, if possible, when there will be fewer people in there. No doubt you will meet new people and make some friends along the way and before you know it you won't think twice about going in!

I am hoping to 'introduce' myself to the proper gym this week. I'm going to go one evening with a friend so I'm not on my own. I think after that I will be confident enough to go in alone. I really shouldn't care but I've got this slight fear of getting in there, not knowing how to work equipment, having people look at me and feeling like a complete tit. But I'll get over it!
Ailiel

Post by Ailiel »

I'm training for a half-marathon at the end of February -- Disney Princess Half Marathon to be precise. I ran the Disney Tower of Terror 10 Miler back in September as my first race, and I LOVED it! My training kind of got off schedule over the month of December unfortunately, so this thread is very timely. I'm at the end of my first week "back" and I feel really good about the half. When I was training for Tower I went up to 11 miles, I feel fairly confident that I can finish 13 miles in the upright position, we'll just see how fast I go.

I have seen that Zombie app before! I wish I had a smartphone instead of just an old heavy ipod, it's gotten me through all my running though. I need some new tunes, if anyone has any running playlists in spotify or something I am interested.
Larkspurlane

Post by Larkspurlane »

Good luck everyone with your fitness regimes :D

I would also be very interested in workout playlists! (totally not judging if you have 10 Britney songs on there, as long as there's a good beat and they make you feel like moving! I have some Kesha on mine :( )
Thank you for the av and sig set!
Larkspurlane @ neo
Ierosbats

Post by Ierosbats »

Fury wrote:I am hoping to 'introduce' myself to the proper gym this week. I'm going to go one evening with a friend so I'm not on my own. I think after that I will be confident enough to go in alone. I really shouldn't care but I've got this slight fear of getting in there, not knowing how to work equipment, having people look at me and feeling like a complete tit. But I'll get over it!
Oh man, that's the other killer. Late last year I managed to psych myself up enough to think about getting a membership, and then I realized exactly what you just said. I have no idea how to use anything. I'd get there and be so confused and wind up just using a treadmill or a bike which I can do for free at home. I mean, obviously that's why gyms are staffed and I'm sure the trainers are lovely and helpful but talking to strangers? Pfff who does that. In my head, gyms are just full of hunky jocks who will point and laugh as I try to lift a thing, and personal trainers who just stand there and scream at you until you faint or barf like on The Biggest Loser. Unless Susan Powter is available, I might be out of luck. It's possible that I'm overthinking this and creating some of my own problems.

Like you said, I think the key is just getting a friend to go and bite the bullet with you. If you're there alone and get hopelessly tangled in a machine, it would be super embarrassing. But if your friend is there to laugh it off with you, then who cares? You'd have someone to chat with, someone to keep you motivated and accountable. I just need to make an effort to find that person. It sounds like you have! Be sure to let us know how it went!
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.
Pulse

Post by Pulse »

Ailiel wrote:I'm training for a half-marathon at the end of February -- Disney Princess Half Marathon to be precise. I ran the Disney Tower of Terror 10 Miler back in September as my first race, and I LOVED it! My training kind of got off schedule over the month of December unfortunately, so this thread is very timely. I'm at the end of my first week "back" and I feel really good about the half. When I was training for Tower I went up to 11 miles, I feel fairly confident that I can finish 13 miles in the upright position, we'll just see how fast I go.

I have seen that Zombie app before! I wish I had a smartphone instead of just an old heavy ipod, it's gotten me through all my running though. I need some new tunes, if anyone has any running playlists in spotify or something I am interested.
That's impressive! Just wondering what type/how long it took you to train for a 10 mile race and if you would have any recommendations? I've always been into weight training but would like to do something like that for the endurance aspect of it. Thanks :)
Ailiel

Post by Ailiel »

Pulse wrote: That's impressive! Just wondering what type/how long it took you to train for a 10 mile race and if you would have any recommendations? I've always been into weight training but would like to do something like that for the endurance aspect of it. Thanks :)
I've been sort of running on and off for years, so I wasn't exactly starting from base point when I started training for the race. But I had never done anything like train for a race before, it was a lot different. I started training back in March, the race was in September. I ran 3 times a week, no exceptions (even on vacation). At first I just worked up to doing a solid distance, at first I would walk way more than I run (run 30 seconds, walk a minute and a half, seven times) and I just slowly built up. That's how I started from ground zero and that was a long time.

When I started training for the Disney race, I used a modified version of Jeff Galloway's schedule for that race http://www.rundisney.com/training/running/. It was easy for me because he mapped out where I needed to be week by week, so I went from there. I ended up a little ahead of schedule, which was nice come race day! Anyway he advocates a run-walk pace, which apparently is faster. I've never been able to get it to work for me and I do better running when I can just go, no stopping, nothing breaking my stride, so that's what I do. But I follow his distance and time recommendations.

I do time myself which often leads to beating myself up if I don't beat or meet my previous run times. I run with just an ipod, outside only. I don't have a gym membership because there are none in my immediate area, it's too much of a pain to get all my stuff, get ready to workout, drive somewhere, and then come home. When I was in college I would use the college gym a lot which is nice. Treadmill, tv, air-conditioning-- the running life! But I also like roadwork, December was a very fun month to run. And I never miss running on July 4th!

I'll get together my own running playlist, Lark, and post it. I'm feeling fairly bleh about it right now. There's a lot of Modest Mouse, Metric, Mumford & Sons, and Florence in there, little hipster runner that I am. Not all the songs have a great beat, sometimes I just like to sort of zone out to the music. But heh, there are two Britney songs on there! I used to like the Black Eyed Peas for running but it has not been doing anything for me for awhile now.
Pulse

Post by Pulse »

Thanks a lot! Seems like you had a pretty solid progression style to get up to your goal. I'll definitely give that interval style of walking and running out. Also, thanks a lot for the link to Jeff Galloway's schedule. You must have pretty good aerobic conditioning to have run that! I'm also in college/university right now and the gym here is awesome, love it so much here!

Anyways, thanks a lot again!
Madge

Post by Madge »

I rode my bike to work today; apparently you should be able to ride 5km in 20minutes. It took me 40 minutes to do 6km (That said, if I'm lucky and catch the train at the right time it takes 30 minutes, and if I'm unlucky and have to wait for the train it takes up to an hour, so when I get my time down I'll be sitting pretty).

I stupidly went up two big hills when I only needed to go up one (or I could have taken a slightly longer route and only gone up one moderately steep hill). Oh well, you only get better, right? :)

I'm debating whether I should ride home today or not; I can leave the bike in the locked carpark and then take the train home today and back to work on Monday and ride home Monday afternoon to put less stress on my body. (It's been about a month since I've done any exercise). But the thought of going DOWN the hills I went up is so tempting. In any case, if I'm sore tomorrow I think i'll cycle 2 or 3 days per week until I get better.

Roller derby has 3 training sessions a week that I'm able to go to; hopefully I'll be able to attend the minimum two sessions (actually 1.5; need to do 3 a fortnight) that are expected of me.
Bif

Post by Bif »

To everyone who thinks that everyone in the gym will be looking at you: EVERYONE thinks that everyone else is looking at them. They are so busy feeling self conscious that no one actually looks at anyone. Just do it! :D A lot of gyms also have an introduction when you sign up. A trainer will go around with you and show you how to use everything and see what weights you should be using. Ask about it, it might give you more confidence with the equipment.

I was really getting into my Pole Dancing last year and am very excited to continue it this year. I was going 3 times a week by the end of 2012 but due to the schedule I can only go 2 times a week this term. Hopefully next term will be at better times.

My pole goals:

Land the Shoulder Mount
Land the Aerial Invert
Move up to Int 2 Combos by the end of the year