65%
Not sure
26%

Total votes: 34

Dead Webby

Teenage goths more likely to get high-power careers

Post by Dead Webby »

Got tis from listening to X FM-

According to a survey, teenage goths are more likely to get high power or just plain good careers than other genres. (dunno if thats the right word)

Personally, I think this is generally true, Goths do seem a bit more intellegent or deep than your average Chav.
Thanks VanillaCoke for the Set.
Deku

Post by Deku »

Well, how do you define "goth", really? :P There could be so many variants. Labels suck.

I voted false, simply because you can't stereotype them as smart or not smart. I bet there are some really stupid "goths", etc. I don't think it matters what you....are? career-wise, and it probably depends on the individual person.
Mistress Morbid

Post by Mistress Morbid »

Hmm. That's...interesting. I don't know, I guess I could see some veritability in it since a lot of people in that genre tend to be more perceptive and academical. Plus the fact that they tend to themselves a lot allows them to work well on their own and focus on things.

It's hard to really stereotype like that though, I really think it's a rather pointless observation because any people can be like that, and there's plenty of 'goths' who don't even care about careers and the like.

If I'm talking about myself, I know I've always been a very intellectual type of person. I always had excellent grades throughout school, and I usually strive for things that I believe in or wish to do. *shrug* But that's just one example, I've got friends who could also be classified in that 'goth' category who've never been nearly as studious as I have ((I'm not trying to sound snobbish or anything, so don't get the wrong impression)) and who probably wouldn't acheive those kind of goals.

People will always be different, even if they're classified under categories or types, that doesn't mean they'll all be the same.
Image Image
Garrett

Post by Garrett »

I said not sure because Deku's answer is what I was thinking. What and who is really goth today. I mean seriously, people cannot really define goth and emo anymore.

Seriously, Goth and Emo is in at the moment so the world is full of posers. Jay Jays (Cheap fashion clothing for those who don't know) has got skirts and tops which seriously are making more and more posers.

I am being called a poser at the moment because I dyed my hair black, and wear a lot of black clothing and because I hate white. I hate the colour white because it makes me look fat, and I perfer the colour black because it's a nice colour for clothing and it's slimming (which is what I need). So I am seriously not sure at all.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Seems to me they've completely glossed over the fact that, whether they're 'smarter' or not is irrelevent when the vast majority of employers are too fucking ignorant to employ someone who has so much as a nose ring. Yeah, I don't doubt that alternative types are often more intuitive and think harder about things than, say, a chav. But if both went for the same job in this town, I know who'd get it. Being smart doesn't matter a shit. 24 year old 'goth' here who can't get a job for love nor money while brain dead, loud mouthed stupid chavs who dropped out of school at the age of 13 never seem to have a problem.
So yeah, while I agree that SHOULD be the case, I doubt it is. I know more out of work alternative types than any other, simply because no one will give them a chance because of how they look.
Mesmirez

Post by Mesmirez »

Ziggy wrote:Seems to me they've completely glossed over the fact that, whether they're 'smarter' or not is irrelevent when the vast majority of employers are too fucking ignorant to employ someone who has so much as a nose ring. Yeah, I don't doubt that alternative types are often more intuitive and think harder about things than, say, a chav. But if both went for the same job in this town, I know who'd get it. Being smart doesn't matter a shit. 24 year old 'goth' here who can't get a job for love nor money while brain dead, loud mouthed stupid chavs who dropped out of school at the age of 13 never seem to have a problem.
So yeah, while I agree that SHOULD be the case, I doubt it is. I know more out of work alternative types than any other, simply because no one will give them a chance because of how they look.
Then, truthfully, why don't they just take out their earrings/noserings/eyebrowrings/everythingelserings/make-up while applying for a job? I mean, it's not really so huge of a lifestyle change to just not wear all that stuff while working, is it? -Not trying to be insolent, don't hurt meee!-

Anyhoo, my mom (English teacher) agrees that the goths in her class are usually far more intelligent then the others. I don't know, maybe morbid-ness and intelligence are linked in the brain xD.
Thanks TheLoneTiel for the siggy^^

Sub | Neo | DA
Wingsrising
Human Avatar: 157670

Post by Wingsrising »

As compared to what?

I guess I'm old but while I'm familiar with "Goth" -- we had goths when I was in high school -- I haven't the damndest idea what the term Emo or Chav means.

I guess my first question with something like that is whether they're comparing goths to people with similar socio-economic backgrounds. If they're comparing goths to society at large than of course goths will do better, as I suspect they're largely from middle-class or higher backgrounds.

If it's to people of a similar socio-economic bracket, then my second question would be whether it was a radio survey, in which case it's unlikely it was conducted well enough to give valid results.

Not to knock the results or anything, it could well be true that goths are by and large more academically inclined. However, those are my first thoughts on the subject.
Dead Webby

Post by Dead Webby »

Wingsrising wrote:As compared to what?

I guess I'm old but while I'm familiar with "Goth" -- we had goths when I was in high school -- I haven't the damndest idea what the term Emo or Chav means.

If it's to people of a similar socio-economic bracket, then my second question would be whether it was a radio survey, in which case it's unlikely it was conducted well enough to give valid results.
<a href=http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.p ... e>Chav.</a>

<a href=http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=emo> Emo.</a>

Actually, X FM didn't do the survey themselves, they got it from a newspaper. :) Can't remember which one.
KasiTL

Post by KasiTL »

It'd be nice if they stated which groups; I bet that nerds and geeks do pretty damn well for themselves too. (Even when you don't count Bill Gates.) I know my circle of geeks gets into intellectual conversations often, and we often think of innovative little twists for things.... The trick is actually getting the job, which is a bit difficult when one's socially inept and not to the tastes of the local employers (*sigh* all the stores I'd fit in with aren't in walking distance... alas...).

But then, you can get a study to say anything you want if you manipulate things right.
I don't know, maybe morbid-ness and intelligence are linked in the brain xD.
Well, if you're more intelligent, then you often spend more time thinking deeply. You also wind up having to turn to alternate forms of entertainment some times/often to get the stimulation you want. For example, if I want a thought-provoking cartoon, I'll watch Infinite Ryvius or Evangelion as opposed to Spongebob. The macabre is a bit alternative and does provoke some thought, and the more introspective do consider things like mortality more than others do, so it's not that surprising....
Last Update: 8/09/06 - Some blue! And a poll! - Click sig to view.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Mesmirez wrote:Then, truthfully, why don't they just take out their earrings/noserings/eyebrowrings/everythingelserings/make-up while applying for a job? I mean, it's not really so huge of a lifestyle change to just not wear all that stuff while working, is it? -Not trying to be insolent, don't hurt meee!-
Most of them do, you'll find. I certainly do. Although I resent it hugely because in this day and age, no one should be being judged on appearance, especially not when in an interview they can prove they're smart and can do the job. I feel that by giving in to that crap Im not doing anything to change it. If people don't stand up and say something about that crap, it'll never change.
But yes, I do remove my piercings if I am going for a job that I suspect would have a problem with it. However, I still don't get work.
I've even asked people why that is when, having removed everything that makes me look 'odd' Im still getting people react to me as if Im a weirdo. Im told its my black hair (been told this by a number of people, I didn't know having black hair was weird) and my height (apparently its intimidating and makes me appear aggressive or confrontational), both of which are obviously bullshit and I can't exactly change them.

But regardless, if you go into the city, you often see people working in shops or whathaveyou that have many piercings or strange coloured hair. Its becoming more and more acceptable in bigger cities, thank god. Its just the shitty backward ones like Yarmouth that can't get their head around it. Their loss, I guess.
Dead Webby

Post by Dead Webby »

Ziggy wrote: Im told its my black hair (been told this by a number of people, I didn't know having black hair was weird) and my height (apparently its intimidating and makes me appear aggressive or confrontational), both of which are obviously bullshit and I can't exactly change them.
Thats really lame, and unfair. Its not as if its possible to shrink, so what can you do about it? Also, there's nothing wrong with black hair. I'm assuming that you died it, so I might be wrong ther, but anyways, lots of people have naturally black hair anyway. Tchhh.
EofS

Post by EofS »

This is about "high-powered careers" not shop work of course. Who decided what defines a high-powered career. Law, medicine... How about management? Engineering? Civil service? Accountancy? Politics?
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Post by AngharadTy »

Dead Webby wrote:
Ziggy wrote: Im told its my black hair (been told this by a number of people, I didn't know having black hair was weird) and my height (apparently its intimidating and makes me appear aggressive or confrontational), both of which are obviously bullshit and I can't exactly change them.
Thats really lame, and unfair. Its not as if its possible to shrink, so what can you do about it? Also, there's nothing wrong with black hair. I'm assuming that you died it, so I might be wrong ther, but anyways, lots of people have naturally black hair anyway. Tchhh.
I'd like to point out that, especially on the height count, it's not necessarily a conscious thing. They don't interview a bunch of people and then say, "Well, let's go with this chav over Ziggy, because that woman was just too damn tall." It's more a subconscious thing, intimidation on a level people may recognize. <i>Not to say</i> that it doesn't suck, because it does. But the role height plays is probably not one that interviewers are consciously aware of.
Image Image
Jazzy
Devil's Advocate

Post by Jazzy »

Yeah, I'm five foot, and I used to have a science teacher who was six foot six- he didn't set out to intimidate anyone, he was generally a nice enough person (I have my own problems with him, but they're nothing to do with intimidation). There are year sevens in my school who're a full two foot shorter than him, and if they're craning their neck just to see his face, it instantly puts them on a lower footing in the conversation. Giving orders from a position like that can be difficult- especially if you have any other problems with them. A friend of mine had a run-in with said teacher, and from then on, she felt like he was looking down on her, both literally and figuatively. It isn't fair, but there's not much that can be done.
Kantark

Post by Kantark »

Eh, I don't know... the implication seems to be that if you're not a Goth then you must be a chav. In which case pass me the eyeliner :P

A story from BBC News on this topic

Apparently this mind-blowing information comes from the University of Sussex. Maybe we should be thinking less about 'is this group of teenagers who on the whole enjoy intellectual pursuits more likely to get well-paid jobs than this other group of teenagers whose main purpose in life seems to be keeping Interbrew in business by drinking as much Stella as possible at every available opportunity', and more on 'why is a University which recently announced it was having to scale down its Chemistry department as a part of cost-cutting measures funding this rather pointless survey?'
Neopets: sparkygoesforth, decommissioned, nightfall, LiveJournal:kantark, Last.FM:Kantark