Neocolours awards?

Non-neopets general discussion.

What do you think about having forum awards?

Yes! It would be so much fun!
22%
Of course, and I would be willing to help organize it!
2%
No, too much work
53%
I'm too lazy to even read all the stuff you said.
22%

Total votes: 49

Saphira

Neocolours awards?

Post by Saphira »

Ok, I had this idea a while ago but didn't have time to pass the idea by you guys... I was thinking we should have forum awards, at the other forum I used to go to we had them, and it was fun, but it will be even more fun with us because everyone knows who everyone else is...well, for the most part.
K, so we'd have different awards like
-Funniest Member
-Most Welcoming Member
-Best Sets
-Most Random Member
-Most Artistic Member

And I thought we might have a Best collection award, cause Scythe has his collection of moster stuff, CallyKariShokka has her plushie collection and I have... several collections.

As to how it would work, once all the catergories were finalized, I'd post them, people would nominate people for each catergory, whoever got the most nominations (probably the top 3-5) would be in the final vote, and There'd be a winner and a runner up.

So what do you guys think? If you like the idea I'll go more in detail about it if you'd like. Any suggestions for catergories? That'd be nice too. The more catergories we have, the more people can win. :D
Deku

Post by Deku »

I dunno, I can see people annoyed over not getting awards, and I think who would win those is extremely predictable :P Cheese/Scythe, some nice person, ....somebody - how would we all judge best sets anyway?, Cheese/Scythe, Aqua.
Kidnemo

Post by Kidnemo »

No offence but I don't really like this idea, being the best isn't exactly what NC is about. (My views may be different were to be nominated for sexiest forum member though...)
Trick
Mad Cavy Lady

Post by Trick »

I'm not that convinced it would be that good an idea either. PPT has that I think, and as far as I can see it just becomes a general pat on the back for those that are friends with the most fellow members *shrugs* I'm not sure it would do much for inter-forum relations!
NecroAd
Time-waster

Post by NecroAd »

I think it sounds like a good idea as long as it's just meant for fun and not to be taken seriously. Ditch the serious sounding awards and perhaps just have a few silly ones instead.
Cheese

Post by Cheese »

That's just a popularity contest, which are somewhat frowned upon in our unwritten rules of manners and civility.

Besides I'd just win your asses on every category.
TCD

Post by TCD »

What's the line, from Moulin Rouge?

"Never get yourself involved with a woman who sells herself--- It always ends BAD!"

I could only see this ending badly. Giant inter-forum war or somesuch.
oogabooga

Post by oogabooga »

I agree with what others are saying - this sounds like it would just encourage elitism and popularity contests. I suppose it could work, but I don't think it's a good idea.
Signature by Tom
Twisted
Location: On the run from the thought police. With a big jar of Fizzy Fish.

Post by Twisted »

It would worsen inter-forum relations more than WW.
And plus NC is starting to get cliches and that lot-and in a way that would not be the best idea.
And plus-we already aorta know who's winning the awards
Returned for the moment...I guess.
Scimthary

Post by Scimthary »

I've been in many boards where they had this kind of awards and most of the times, the awards only created more ..."confusion?" ( for lack of a better word ).

So, I don't really think it's a good idea, the boards are also great without any awards. And I agree with the persons who said that incredibly predictable who's gonna win the awards.
KasiTL

Post by KasiTL »

But I've never posted any of my collections because I don't take pictures! :P

Eh, I think that these kind of award ceremonies are kinda stupid in general, since they tend to be slanted towards whoever is most popular.

I think it'd be better if we did some kind of actual activity that's all feel-good and fun all the way around. Like if we had our own olympics/Neocolours Cup type of thing. That could be fun. Then it's more evened out. And that'd be nifty if someone figured out the php code to put the trophies on our little member lookup things here. Hey, the WW trophies could go there too, I guess. And then we could have a little "Trophies: #" out on the left of our posts with all the other stuff. That'd be fun. Or like, an Easter-Egg hunt, except it's not Easter (maybe a scavenger hunt). Little egg/items could be stashed all over the NC pages, and as you find them, you get a little egg/item count, and whatnot.
Last Update: 8/09/06 - Some blue! And a poll! - Click sig to view.
Zap

Post by Zap »

Yeah... awards are for actors. :P
NecroAd
Time-waster

Post by NecroAd »

KasiTL wrote:But I've never posted any of my collections because I don't take pictures! :P

Eh, I think that these kind of award ceremonies are kinda stupid in general, since they tend to be slanted towards whoever is most popular.

I think it'd be better if we did some kind of actual activity that's all feel-good and fun all the way around. Like if we had our own olympics/Neocolours Cup type of thing. That could be fun. Then it's more evened out. And that'd be nifty if someone figured out the php code to put the trophies on our little member lookup things here. Hey, the WW trophies could go there too, I guess. And then we could have a little "Trophies: #" out on the left of our posts with all the other stuff. That'd be fun. Or like, an Easter-Egg hunt, except it's not Easter (maybe a scavenger hunt). Little egg/items could be stashed all over the NC pages, and as you find them, you get a little egg/item count, and whatnot.
I actually think that it sounds like a great idea! Especially the egg/scavenger hunt. Count me in if we ever do one of those ^^

Perhaps another thing we could do is have teams (made up randomly) and then have some quizzes or challenges. It would give the forum an even better feeling of an online community and not just a place where people post (I know there's WW but I've been skimming that for ages and just can't seem to get the hang of it). This way everyone could join in if they wanted to.
Spivsy

Post by Spivsy »

I like the ideas of challenges, I wouldn't mind doing those. As long as it was neopets related and something that everyone had a chance at doing.
Joeno

Post by Joeno »

KasiTL wrote:And that'd be nifty if someone figured out the php code to put the trophies on our little member lookup things here. Hey, the WW trophies could go there too, I guess. And then we could have a little "Trophies: #" out on the left of our posts with all the other stuff. That'd be fun. Or like, an Easter-Egg hunt, except it's not Easter (maybe a scavenger hunt). Little egg/items could be stashed all over the NC pages, and as you find them, you get a little egg/item count, and whatnot.
Don't even suggest such things. I am already busy. And now thinking about how to implement this. And what cool other things could be done with this. And how it could be done properly.

Curse me and my overworked slightly creative technical ADD brain!

// For speed-up purposes
ALTER TABLE phpbb_users ADD COLUMN numtrophies INT;
// And of course
CREATE TABLE trophy_stuff (userid INT trophyid INT amount INT) COMMENT='I'm already think too much about this';

Stop it. Now. Okay?