Book Club? (edit: vote on September's poll)

Non-neopets general discussion.

Which book should we read in September? Reviews at the bottom of p1.

Enduring Love, by Ian McEwan
4%
The Handmaid's Tale, by Margaret Atwood
32%
Case Histories, by Kate Atkinson
24%
The Memory Keeper's Daughter, by Kim Edwards
12%
A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius, by Dave Eggers
8%
The Blind Assassin, by Margaret Atwood
12%
The Known World, by Edward P. Jones
No votes
Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, by Jonathan Safran Foer
8%

Total votes: 25

Noodles

Post by Noodles »

I'd definitely be interested, and I'd probably participate most months... my state has a good public library system. :)
Image Image
Lolliruss

Post by Lolliruss »

I may be interested. I've been thinking for ages that I'd like to join a book club, but as I hadn't even posted here for a couple of months up until a few days ago I don't suppose my current feelings can be very much relied upon.
KasiTL

Post by KasiTL »

That sounds like fun, but all my free time is pretty much shot until October, and the little time I DO have will be going to gay-love manga. I need my gays.

Though, I'm about to read the first two Only the Ring Finger Knows novels soon, which had a manga based on it and were recently translated to English.

Recently read the first Gravitation novel recently. Ahh, Gravi......... ^________________________^

I've read Farenheit 451. Good stuff. The movie was oddly reminicent of Willi Wonka and the Chocolate Factory though in the special effects department.

As much as I hate Brave New World, I do admit that it is good for discussion because it's creepy as hell. It's creepy because it's all comming true, slowly but surely.
Last Update: 8/09/06 - Some blue! And a poll! - Click sig to view.
Silverevilchao
Human Avatar: 155477

Post by Silverevilchao »

KasiTL wrote: As much as I hate Brave New World, I do admit that it is good for discussion because it's creepy as hell. It's creepy because it's all comming true, slowly but surely.
What happens in the book, and how it is coming true? o.O;;
Monkeyguy

Post by Monkeyguy »

Maybe we should read it at some point. (I've already read it, but it's one of my favorites.)
Image Image Image
EofS

Post by EofS »

Silverevilchao wrote:What happens in the book, and how it is coming true? o.O;;
Read the book and you'll see ;0) Or, you know, use google or wikipedia. It's a modern classic, there's lots of stuff out there. And that way you can research to your heart's content, whereas anyone telling you in here will have to consider how much it's polite to spoil.

That said, I'm not sure I agree it's coming true. But then, I'm happy being a beta, so what do I know.
KasiTL

Post by KasiTL »

Silverevilchao wrote:
KasiTL wrote: As much as I hate Brave New World, I do admit that it is good for discussion because it's creepy as hell. It's creepy because it's all comming true, slowly but surely.
What happens in the book, and how it is coming true? o.O;;
It's a look at what society could be like in the future. It's a science fiction novel written in 1932 and featured many technologies and social movements that had yet to happen/be invented. As time goes on in real life though, we've been inventing similar technologies (though not qute as advanced as the book's version. yet), and western society's morals have gotten looser and less conservative as a whole. So it's got this creepy "woah, it's prophetic" feel about it. It's not necessarily comming true for real (I just say that because I'm misanthropic and this just feeds that), but the parallels it has to the way things have changed so far since it was written are disturbing.
Last Update: 8/09/06 - Some blue! And a poll! - Click sig to view.
Wingsrising
Human Avatar: 157670

Post by Wingsrising »

Now comes the bit problem with a book club -- picking a book. :-)

(Brave New World is not my favorite disutopia novel -- that's 1984 -- but it's still worth reading. It would be an interesting discussion. As would 1984, for that matter. Except for the rat thing.)
FaerieInGrey

Post by FaerieInGrey »

I've never read either.

So.... when do we start?

Yes, I am over-excited. I've never been in a book club before! Hee.
Monkeyguy

Post by Monkeyguy »

Well it is almost September so now would be the perfect time. We just need to decide on a book.
Image Image Image
Semmi

Post by Semmi »

I'd be interested too.

Also, don't know how well this would work here, but I was in a book club for awhile where we had a different theme each month, people would submit books that fit the theme and then everyone would vote on which one (well, two cause we would do a fiction and a non-fiction) to read.
colbatdragon

Post by colbatdragon »

I love books--I'd totally participate.

I adored Brave New World; I'd love to have a discusson on that :D
Swarmy

Post by Swarmy »

I'd like to join in on the book club. It sounds like an interesting idea.

The problem would be convincing my parents to take me to get a book every month. It's a long drive to the library.
Kralia

Post by Kralia »

I'll happily participate as long as there's some warning time for me to get the book required. My library verges on the crappy side and I suspect I'd have to get them to order a load of the books.

I need to read Brave New World, I had a copy once but it was all woodwormy and then I lost it...
Monkeyguy

Post by Monkeyguy »

Well I'd like to vote for The Blind Assassin this month.
Image Image Image