Book Club? (edit: vote on September's poll)

Non-neopets general discussion.

Which book should we read in September? Reviews at the bottom of p1.

Enduring Love, by Ian McEwan
4%
The Handmaid's Tale, by Margaret Atwood
32%
Case Histories, by Kate Atkinson
24%
The Memory Keeper's Daughter, by Kim Edwards
12%
A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius, by Dave Eggers
8%
The Blind Assassin, by Margaret Atwood
12%
The Known World, by Edward P. Jones
No votes
Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, by Jonathan Safran Foer
8%

Total votes: 25

bonecrivain
Incorrigible Bookworm
Human Avatar: 157826

Post by bonecrivain »

Well, it sounds like we're splitting into two book group sections, right? One for Brave New World and one for...something else that hasn't been decided upon. Anyone else want to narrow the second section down to a few options so we can do a poll or something?
Jazzy
Devil's Advocate

Post by Jazzy »

Poll now up. I just used the ones bon and I suggested on page 1 because I wasn't sure how many options were allowed, and it was already a pretty long list.
Monkeyguy

Post by Monkeyguy »

Sounds good to me. Thanks Jazzy m'dear.
Image Image Image
FaerieInGrey

Post by FaerieInGrey »

So do we read one, both, or do we pick if we want to read one or both?

Probably a stupid question, but hey. I'd also like to know how the time will be working - is it going to be like we have two weeks to read and two weeks to discuss, or the month to read and discuss the next month while reading the next book (which I think would be confusing) or something entirely different?
Anza

Post by Anza »

How about the first person to finish makes the discussion thread and everyone joins in whenever they finish it?

I may participate in this sporadically, depending if I like the book chosen and how much time I have.
Jazzy
Devil's Advocate

Post by Jazzy »

Yep, Anza's idea sounds like a good one (with a spoiler warning in the title so people don't click when halfway through the book). I'd say, pick whether you want to read one or both- you may want to decide depending on a) how much you like the sound of the poll-winner b) how much time you end up with in September, and c) whether or not you can actually get hold of both of the books.
KauKrazy

Post by KauKrazy »

I haven't read any of the books in the poll, so I simply checked the reviews and availability on our public library's web site and voted for the one which seemed the most interesting and was available easily. Though it wasn't the only one that sounded good, actually, most of them probably are good.

Now all I have to do it finish Robin Hobb's Liveship Traders book three, so I can get to the Book Club book. It shouldn't be a problem, concidering how fascinating the end has become. I can't put the book down! :D
Illuen

Post by Illuen »

I voted Handmaiden's Tale, as I've been jonesing to read it again for ages :)
No spoony bard could spin a sweeter tale.
oogabooga

Post by oogabooga »

I haven't voted, as I haven't read any and most likely won't be able to get them before I leave. I have read Brave New World, though, so I could join in a discussion on that whenever everyone else is ready :P
Jazzy
Devil's Advocate

Post by Jazzy »

Heh...September first and we have a tie. Can anyone left to vote choose between Case Histories and The Handmaid's Tale so we can start?

edit: tie broken, threads created :)
KauKrazy

Post by KauKrazy »

Picked up my copy of the Handmaid's Tale today from the library, the woman working there knew right away which shelf to look from, so I guess more people read it than I expected.

Anyway, I also came up with a suggestion for the October book today. Why not read a book by Paulo Coelho?

We could take one of the classics, The Alchemist, which I think is a wonderful book. The language may seem simple but one can find meaning in them. Or then I'd suggest Veronika Decides to Die - another clever and brilliant book (you have to be comfortable reading about institutions for the mentally ill though).
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Post by AngharadTy »

Actually, you want this topic:

viewtopic.php?t=3865

for suggestions on next month's reading, and links to individual book discussions.

I'll lock this one.
Image Image