8%
nipple piercing (ow!)
13%
Get the tattoo instead...
25%

Total votes: 24

tallan

Post by tallan »

It's impossible to even have an opinion as I have no idea what you look like. *wonders if there's a pic in that.. pic thread* I totally love lip rings (*whistles*), but they look horribly out-of-place on some people. I'd love to get another facial piercing, but I don't think I'd fit in more. So... most (if not all) piercings have the potential to look awesome, but only on the right person(s).
DamionDarkheart

Post by DamionDarkheart »

Taken 20 minutes after I got it done. The really dark is a combination of the marking ink and what little blood came out.
"Blah blah blah into the pie, bitch." Image
Wingsrising
Human Avatar: 157670

Post by Wingsrising »

One of the graduate students in the lab has a pierced tounge and she was playing with it today at lunch: it looked like a little silver ball was running back and forth along her lips. Which I suppose it was. Very strange to watch, and rather distracting, too. :-)

I'd also agree that I'd wait until you're sure exactly what you want. You don't need to get something right now just because your parents say you can. :-) I'd probably see if I could get a rain check for the offer and then wait until something really struck me, "Yes! I must have that!"

But that's speaking from someone who's not into peircings, myself. (I waited until I was in college even to get my ears pierced and I'm not sure I'd do it again if I had to do it over.)

Certainly, as far as the tattoo goes: if you don't want one, it would be silly to get one just because you can. Sounds like a good way to set yourself up for an expensive tattoo-removal later in life.
Lakota

Post by Lakota »

Wingsrising wrote: Certainly, as far as the tattoo goes: if you don't want one, it would be silly to get one just because you can. Sounds like a good way to set yourself up for an expensive tattoo-removal later in life.
Not to mention people say those are more painful and more time-consuming than the actual tattooing process. ;) It requires mutiple procedures to remove the tattoo completely, esp. those with a lot of colours. Or at least that's what I heard on some of the Discovery Health Channel's programs...
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Post by AngharadTy »

And it leaves scarring in the shape of the tattoo, to boot. ^_~

I dunno, I heartily recommend tongue piercings--I've never had a problem with mine (except for swallowing the balls on two separate occasions, hee). I just always use acrylic balls, so they can't damage my teeth. If you brush regularly and use a good mouthwash (Biotene, or Crest's new non-alcohol wash), it's not an issue. Actually, having my tongue pierced has made me take better care of my teeth overall, because I don't want anything to go wrong.

But on the other hand, lip piercings do look really attractive, and I've always wanted one myself. (I just figure I'd better get a job before I try any other sorts of mods. Stupid workplaces.)
Image Image
KasiTL

Post by KasiTL »

Rule of thumb on tattoos: If you decide you want a tattoo and choose the design you want, wait at least one year before having the design done. If you still want it a year later, you're much less likely to regret it than if you get it done spur of the moment.

What are these "Madonna" and "snake bite" piercings some of you mention?
Then again I don't have any piercings at all. With my luck the skin would keep growing back together. Razz That happens to my mom if she doesn't wear ear-rings often enough, and knowing me, I'd lose interest in a piercing like a week later so the skin growing back together would happen. Plus there's the fact I can't wear jewelry anyways because of some sort of senseitivity to the metals...
I can get away with wearing earings just once a year. *shrugs* Though I had to keep them in for six weeks straight when I got them, I think. Or I did, at least. I used to wear them a lot in early elementary school though. Don't really have too much interest in earings (I don't have any in these two styles I particuarly want though), but I like having the option when I randomly feel like wearing one or two.
My Mom's actually sensitive to metal too, but I always buy the hypoallergenic ones and haven't had a problem yet.

Heh, I would get a tattoo if there were a design I actually wanted on me for the rest of my life. I'm a tattoo and motorcycle person, myself. But there isn't a design I want permanetly so far. I think if I get married one day, I might pick something symbolic as a crazy but sweet cheesey romantic thing. For me, it'd be appropriate.
Last Update: 8/09/06 - Some blue! And a poll! - Click sig to view.
Wind

Post by Wind »

A Madonna is a piercing through your top lip and to the side, like a beauty mark.

Snake bites are double lip rings, one on each side, like snake fangs.
KasiTL

Post by KasiTL »

Okay, thank you.
Last Update: 8/09/06 - Some blue! And a poll! - Click sig to view.
Lakota

Post by Lakota »

KasiTL wrote:
Then again I don't have any piercings at all. With my luck the skin would keep growing back together. Razz That happens to my mom if she doesn't wear ear-rings often enough, and knowing me, I'd lose interest in a piercing like a week later so the skin growing back together would happen. Plus there's the fact I can't wear jewelry anyways because of some sort of senseitivity to the metals...
I can get away with wearing earings just once a year. *shrugs* Though I had to keep them in for six weeks straight when I got them, I think. Or I did, at least. I used to wear them a lot in early elementary school though. Don't really have too much interest in earings (I don't have any in these two styles I particuarly want though), but I like having the option when I randomly feel like wearing one or two.
The funny thing is that my mom always intended to pierce my ears too when I was younger and before we realized I inherited my dad's problem to jewelry (poor guy gets a nasty rash from wearing his wedding ring). But we lived in the Middle East, and mom didn't want to get my ears pierced over there for some reason. Which is a shame because jewelry (esp. gold) is a dime a dozen over there! We just kept putting it off when we moved back to the states until I decided I didn't want them anymore. :P So my ears aren't pierced. :roll:

Mom always regrets when she doesn't wear ear-rings often enough because then she has to force them thru the piercing when the skin grows closer together. That must hurt! I don't see why someone would want to get their ears pierced (or anything else pierced) if that happens when you don't wear the rings. But maybe others don't have mom's problem with that. :?
My Mom's actually sensitive to metal too, but I always buy the hypoallergenic ones and haven't had a problem yet.
Lucky you-- I can't get away with wearing any metal-based jewelry for too long. Rings leave a nasty indentation and so do tight bracelets. Necklaces will leave hives if I leave them on my chest, but I can wear them over clothes to avoid that. ;)