December book club: Voting!

Non-neopets general discussion.

Which book should we read in December? (see below for reviews)

Enduring Love, by Ian McEwan
4%
Case Histories, by Kate Atkinson
11%
The Memory Keeper's Daughter, by Kim Edwards
25%
A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius, by Dave Eggers
14%
The Blind Assassin, by Margaret Atwood
4%
The Known World, by Edward P. Jones
No votes
Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, by Jonathan Safran Foer
11%
Fahrenheit 451, by Ray Bradbury
32%

Total votes: 28

AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

December book club: Voting!

Post by AngharadTy »

Pick a book from the poll options above. If you have other suggestions for books to read, we'll add them to the list. We got some new suggestions last time, but since we have so many options, I've not added many. But it doesn't hurt to have a big list of books to pull from! =D

Anyway, please vote on what you'd like to read for December.

Links to reviews/blurbs:

Enduring Love by Ian McEwan
Case Histories by Kate Atkinson
The Memory Keeper's Daughter by Kim Edwards
A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius by Dave Eggers
The Blind Assassin by Margaret Atwood
The Known World by Edward P. Jones
Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer
<a href="http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0007 ... Fahrenheit 451</a> by Ray Bradbury
Image Image
Illuen

Post by Illuen »

I actually have a suggestion this month, When I Was Puerto Rican . It is the story of the Author, Esmeralda Santiago's life in Puerto Rico, and the transition from her small town life to that of New York City. I'm not one for Memoirs usually, but this book really grabbed my attention, and I am in the middle of the third in the series so far. So yeah... Go Team Go!
No spoony bard could spin a sweeter tale.
Ierosbats

Post by Ierosbats »

I'd feel guilty if I didn't try to get <a href="http://www.garthnix.co.uk/books.tao?Pag ... Sabriel</a> on the list (which I'm not entirely sure it isn't already. Either way.)

</brokenrecord>
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.
Riddler

Post by Riddler »

I was under the impression pretty much everyone here had already read Sabriel =P

Future potential additions:
The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver - awesomeawesome book but très long. Definitely worth the read as far as language, narration and (to a lesser extent) plot is concerned.
Bel Canto by Ann Patchett - similarly awesome but considerably shorter =P
The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde - a less serious book that pokes fun at other classical novels in a similar world to ours, but where people are much more interested in literature and the Crimean War is yet to conclude. Essentially the whole Thursday Next series is great but I figured it'd make sense to nominate the first in the set =P
Ilium by Dan Simmons - not one I'd automatically recommend as it kinda crashes and burns at the end (rectified in its sequel, Olympos) but has to be nominated for the awesome idea of retelling the Iliad in a science-fiction theme, along with subplot analyses of Proust and Shakespeare amongst others =D

Oh, and could we maybe choose two books again for December? I spent several months on several essays on Fahrenheit 451 in year 6 and to have to read it again would probably drive me to insanity ;D
Thanks to Twisted for the awesome set!
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen

Post by AngharadTy »

Yeah, I think we'll read two books. It'd be nice if we had a clear second choice to go with, as so far F451 is winning.

More votes! More! *prods people*
Image Image
KauKrazy

Post by KauKrazy »

Dan Simmons should definitely be on the list next time, I agree. Haven't read Ilium yet but the Hyperion/Endymion series was one the of the most fabulous works of art I've ever read... :)
Figment
Girl Anachronism

Post by Figment »

Seeing as I have varying degrees of hatred for almost every book on this list, I won't be playing. I only voted to see which was winning, and I picked the only one I haven't read. So take one away from Case Histories; it doesn't really have 12%.
bonecrivain
Incorrigible Bookworm
Human Avatar: 157826

Post by bonecrivain »

Ha. Once again, the two books that are winning are ones that I've already read. Oh well...
Jazzy
Devil's Advocate

Post by Jazzy »

Well, you can discuss them with us, at least?
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen

Post by AngharadTy »

But you're the one who suggested we read one of the winning books! You can't complain about it winning!
Image Image
bonecrivain
Incorrigible Bookworm
Human Avatar: 157826

Post by bonecrivain »

I know! But I read it last month because it didn't win and I wanted to read it anyway!

Haha...it hasn't been too long, so I'll try to be good and participate in the discussion. =)
Noodles

Post by Noodles »

Well... <i>I'd</i> like to read <i>Sabriel</i>. :P I think I've got it sitting on my to-read shelf, in fact, and it looks interesting.

I voted for <i>A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius</i> - I think it was the "Here is a drawing of a stapler" that got me. I don't think I'll be reading <i>The Memory Keeper's Daughter</i> unless someone randomly decides to buy it for me (I'd be #51 on the reserve list at the library...) but I'll definitely try to get <i>Fahrenheit 451</i>, assuming that wins. :)

We're obviously not short of nominations at the moment, but one of my favourite books that I've read recently is <i>Sweetblood</i> by Pete Hautman (<a href="http://www.amazon.com/Sweetblood-Pete-H ... >Amazon</a>). It's fairly light YA stuff, but it left me thinking and thinking and thinking for days afterwards, and you can't ask for more than that.
Image Image
covet

Post by covet »

oops, i voted for dave eggers, when I meant to vote for the awesome mr safran foer.
The Artist Formerly Known As Amneris
Jessi
Human Avatar: 155904

Post by Jessi »

I caught this a few days late, but I still caught it!

I have a few suggestions for books but I'm gonna wait until next time, there's quite a few already and everyone's voted cause I'm late and suck!
dandelions
Lily Was Here

Post by dandelions »

Because I can, and because the poll seems fairly conclusive, I am going to lock this now: December's books will be <b>Fahrenheit 451</b>, by Ray Bradbury, and <b>The Memory Keeper's Daughter</b>, by Kim Edwards :)