GCSE/AS/A Level Results

Non-neopets general discussion.
Tom
Human Avatar: 231218

Post by Tom »

I got my results today an am extremely happy.

A* Mathematics
A* History
A* Business Studies (huge surprise for basically everyone doing it, our teacher was mean! She predicted many people below what they got)
A* BCS (Business and Communication Studies, everyone calls it IT)
A* English Language (sooo happy! My story about vampires was a success, it was definitely the most fun exam)
A Media Studies
A Chemistry
A French
B Biology
B Physics
B English Literature

I'm really, really happy. I got everything I needed to get into college. It was really nice being there and opening my results. Everyone was so giddy!
Subeta: Thomas
FaerieInGrey

Post by FaerieInGrey »

That's wonderful, Tom, congrats!
dunx5000

Post by dunx5000 »

Mixed bag with my results, pleased with some, not so much with others;
A* in English Language
As in English Literature, Maths and Double Science
Bs in Spanish, Drama, History and RE (which I was expecting to better in)
And a Pass in ICT. Given I never did anything, I can't complain on that one
adi_gallia

Post by adi_gallia »

Sorry to drag up an old topic, but rather than posting in Achievements/Woes I thought I'd post it in here instead.

Yesterday the Head of Sixth Form came up to me and said "Well done for passing Communications" I said thanks and then I thought "Hey, didn't I fail that?". She should know whether I passed or not since she just so happens to be the teacher for Communications as well. But I'm still convinced that I failed it, the results just don't seem to indicate a pass or fail anywhere and the back of the sheet suggests it's a fail rather than a pass. I've scanned it in to see if anyone can help.

There's my result line. Note how there is "Level" to the right with nothing underneath it.

Then here is some text from the back of the sheet. Excuse the weird greyness, but the text was like a watermark and would have probably been harder to read. It says that when a U is received it will not be shown on the certificate. However this piece of paper has written on it "This is NOT a certificate" so I'm not sure really.

While they didn't write a U on my result sheet, they didn't really say I passed either, so I am leaning towards the fail. They only way I could say I passed is from the "Level" on the left having a 3 beneath it, but I'm not sure if that's because the exam was to get a Level 3 in Communications.
hebdenhippy
Human Avatar: 235278

Post by hebdenhippy »

I only just got my results, I did 2 GCSEs early, most of them will be this year, but anyway I got A* in Biology, Chemistry and Physics, and a B in Drama. Drama was a little disappointing, but my teacher told me I got full marks in the actual performing part of it (just lost a load of marks in the written section)
EofS

Post by EofS »

Adi, as I interpret that you passed at Level 3 (ie, one down from the best possible). If it was a level 3 paper, perhaps it was possibly to do badly and get a 2 or 1 instead? I dunno, we didn't do Key Skills, so I'm just guessing from their language.

The certificate thing... you're correct, the results slip is not the certificate. What they mean is that if you got a U it will show up here (because obviously you deserve to know your result!) but when the certificates are issued whatever you got a U in simply won't be on there. It saves you the awkwardness of showing your certificate to an employer and them seeing the failed subject amongst the others.
adi_gallia

Post by adi_gallia »

I believe it was just a Level 3 Paper, the highest you could get was a Level 3, if you didn't get it you would get a U, at least that's what my teacher said it was either a pass or fail type exam. I think the Level 1, 2 and 4 exams would be different papers. My teacher told me a Level 2 is GCSE standard, Level 3 is AS standard, so I assume Level 4 is like an A Level.

I think that I probably did pass it now, they wouldn't have mentioned the U on the back otherwise. If I failed, why did they mention the U but not put it on my certificate? I have to say, my result for that subject confused me quite a bit. ~_~

I wasn't bothered that I "failed", but I suppose knowing that I passed it will make me feel a little smarter. It's good to know I didn't fail any exams.
EofS

Post by EofS »

adi_gallia wrote:I think that I probably did pass it now, they wouldn't have mentioned the U on the back otherwise. If I failed, why did they mention the U but not put it on my certificate? I have to say, my result for that subject confused me quite a bit. ~_~
I would expect that to be a standard blurb on the back of all results slips. I know mine always used to have stuff like that, even though it was never relevant.

You could always ask your teacher of course ;0)