Thread of Joy and Candy

Non-neopets general discussion.
nanabobo567

Re: Thread of Joy and Candy

Post by nanabobo567 »

If only... If only... I don't know why, but Trick-Or-Treating happens here on the Tuesday before Halloween, rather than on Halloween. On that day, we have band practice... For the rest of my high school days. Too bad, too. I have a Shy Guy costume* that I'm only going to get to wear during the Halloween dance tomorrow. I'm planning on buying a Jack Skellington tux online someday just so I can wear it to school and have an excuse. Halloween isn't about candy... It's about the screams! Screams of excitement, screams of fear, screams of joy, all good! Eeeheeheeheehee!!!
*Note, that though Shy Guys are not that scary, you must think about how they'd be in real life. A robed stranger with a featureless mask walking around staring blankly, often times with more hiding around you. Also, note, that they're about the size of Mario pre-Super Mushroom. That's about four feet. Creepy.
Seerow wrote:Aww Nana, I didn't think you meant you were literally dead last night :(
Wind

Post by Wind »

My last year trick-or-treating was 9th grade. So it's been a few years.

I pretty much love all candy. Even those little orange and black gooey peanut butter things that everyone seems to hate. I always ignored them, but one year I actually tried one and found out I kind of liked them. I just loooove peanut butter. My favorites were Reese's, Baby Ruths, and Paydays though. You can't even get Paydays around here when it's not Halloween.

I hated getting cans of pop. Just one can would make my candy bucket SO MUCH heavier. D: And they took up so much space, too.

I also sorted through my candy with my brother/cousins/friends/whoever and did a bit of trading. I used to take all the weird candy no one else would eat. And I remember the most valuable trading candy was any kind of blue sucker. Those things were like GOLD. When I was really little we used to go to my grandma's house after for trading and whatnot, and she always hands out Reese's (probably my absolute favorite), and I would claim all her leftovers. :D
Chandi

Post by Chandi »

Awww, fond memories. I miss Trick-or-treating, we'd always go in a huge group through my neighborhood. One year my boyfriend was a hippie and brought a guitar, and we ended up singing Beatles songs for people towards the end of the night. I'd use a pillow case and empty it halfway through the night, always made a good killing.

Add me as one of those people who will eat any kind of candy. Even the generic, nasty wrapped stuff. Pop. Candy corn. You name it, I eat it.

But Halloween this year will be spent sleeping after a hard week of exams... but tomorrow night I'll celebrate with a bottle of wine with my boyfriend and a night of parties. :)
thelonetiel
Human Avatar: 15268

Post by thelonetiel »

I'm trying so hard not to read this thread, it makes me so homesick. ;_; If I were at home, I can imagine dragging my boyfriend and our friends around for Trick or Treating for the last time, I think we'll be too old next year. And candy corn! I had myself convinced I hated the stuff for years, but when I tried it, it was lovely and addicting.

Halloween is my birthday so I have lots of memories of trick or treating after having cake and ice cream. The result of that was having horrible teeth as a child and having at least one tooth pulled from major cavities and leading to a spacer in my mouth for years...

But, my town isn't very good for trick or treating and we'd never go very far, so I never got a lot of candy. Or maybe I just ate it all quickly, I just don't remember having much for long after Halloween.

I don't like nuts with my chocolate, so peanut M&Ms and most candybars were given away. And the raisins too, I hated those as a kid despite being a fruit junkie most of the time. My absolute favorite are 100 Grands, but I always ended up buying myself a few packages these past few years.

This year, I think I'll ask some friends to come with me to a candy store and buy a couple pounds of assorted sweets to make up for the lack of trick or treating. I bet I won't have to worry about getting icky peanut butter candies in Argentina. :3 Maybe if I'm really lucky, they'll even have some candy corn equivalents...
Cranberry
Human Avatar: 183848

Post by Cranberry »

I generally eat pretty healthy, so I will be trying not to have much candy this year. I'm too old for trick-or-treating, but we always buy a lot of candy to give out to neighborhood kids and only get 10 or so trick-or-treaters, so there's always tons left. This year we got things I like... starburst and skittles, assorted miniature chocolate bars (kit kat, coffee crisp, aero, and smarties (I'm Canadian, so I mean the M&M-like chocolate smarties)), and some swedish berries and gummy candies. Mom saves up fast food toys (from Happy Meals or whatever) and gives them out, too... the kids love it; most of them go for a toy before a candy.

Amusing somewhat-related story: My brother's girlfriend lives with us, and her friend showed up here tonight with her two sons (both dressed as Jack Sparrow). One of them wandered into my room, picked up my old Beast Wars transformer toy (the white tiger, whatever its name was) and asked, "Can I keep this?" I said no, of course, and took it back, so he grabbed a little rubber rat my mom bought me on a trip and ran off with it. I chased him down and took it back, too, and he threw a full-on tantrum, kicking and screaming and crying. I locked myself in my room. I really dislike children! I do like seeing them all in their cute little costumes, though.
Ailiel

Post by Ailiel »

Halloween is like my favorite holiday of the year. This year wasn't so good (I am sick, and it is Wednesday, and I have class at 8 a.m., and there's a tropical storm freaking everyone out even though it's not coming here, blah blah blah) but I try to do something good, something a little bit awesome, every year. This year we only had about 10 groups of trick or treaters, as little as one and no more than 5. Pretty sad for a very residential area.

I dress up every year but I think the last time I actively trick or treated was the year before the hurricanes (Wilma). That year I took some kiddos, and the next, and this year did not go door to door at all. I guess when I turned 20 and all I really was just too old to be mooching the free candy. Which is sad! Now all that's left is partying and drinking, and you can't do that on a Wednesday.

I am already cooking up an ultimate fright night for next year. I have some really, really scary ideas. I'm going to start a notebook now and write them all down because I never start thinking about Halloween in August like I should to give myself time to implement my awesome ideas.
Joey
Secret Ninja Mod
Human Avatar: 166931

Post by Joey »

So I ended up going Trick or Treating anyway this year. I wasn't going to, but my friend and her sister needed someone to go with so I figured what the hey. Got a pretty good haul, though I haven't looked through it all yet. Weren't many kids out this year, which saddens me.
gomababe

Post by gomababe »

We got maybe four groups of two guisers each last night, they were all young kids and we didn't get any more past half seven last night. Good thing too, mum and dad have been visiting my gran at the hospital every day for the last four weeks so they didn't have timee to go out and get loads of sweets. We've still goot 3 bags of Haribo gummies left but mum said they were for my little brother {who's 19} I only had two and he raids the sweetie tin before I can choose anything anyways *pouts*.

Did see Most Haunted Live last night, which was pretty good, decent end to the 5 night investigation {poor old Yvette about had a heart attack, there were knives getting thrown}, and I got to eat two bags of sweets during it so I was happy ^_^ {aside form the minor complaint that I mentioend above}.
Joey
Secret Ninja Mod
Human Avatar: 166931

Post by Joey »

I'd forgotten my love of kit-kats and twix until today. How shameful of me! I've also had a lack of hard candies this halloween. I want my Jolly Ranchers!

So while ToTing we ran into this guy who was obviously giving pens and pencils to all the teenagers. so he gave me one first, then thought better of it when he saw we actually had some good costumes going. So we a;ll got candy and I got candy and a pen.