Oregon Trail

Non-neopets general discussion.
Monkeyguy

Oregon Trail

Post by Monkeyguy »

I think most of us here are old enough to appreciate this and for those who aren't, you will be introduced to a relic of the past.

An online emulator for Oregon Trail, the game!

I remember fondly the hours of playing this game in my elementary school's computer lab filled with Apple Computers and I hope anyone who remembers the game will enjoy the link.

And now if you'll excuse me I have a river to ford.
Image Image Image
Saturn

Re: Oregon Trail

Post by Saturn »

Holy crap that's great. The entire site, that is - it has a WHOLE BUNCH of games I remember playing on the computers at school as a wee young'n. :D (they have Maniac Mansion! YES! And yeah, we had that at SCHOOL too. Dunno why XD)

...and then they got newer computers, and they all just had boring vocabulary practice stuff on them. Sigh. They kept Oregon Trail, though :) I vaguely remember myself and a couple of friends in fifth grade getting in trouble because we named all our characters after teachers and wrote mean things about them on their tombstones when they died. XD

I never could get past the friggin' river, so mostly I just shot things. Whoo.
nanabobo567

Post by nanabobo567 »

No. No way. I am not old enough to remember Bard's Tale on... Was it the Commodore? I definitely remember playing these games at school. There was one... it had to do with teeth, I wish I could remember it!
Seerow wrote:Aww Nana, I didn't think you meant you were literally dead last night :(
oogabooga

Post by oogabooga »

I never played it, so I'm having fun discovering it... but it crashed Firefox when I tried to insert disk 2. Ah well, I'll start over.
bonecrivain
Incorrigible Bookworm
Human Avatar: 157826

Post by bonecrivain »

Yeah, it did the same thing to me when I got to that point in the game. Lame. I was enjoying it, too; this brings back so many good memories.
Jessi
Human Avatar: 155904

Post by Jessi »

I was enjoying myself playing, but my big problem was, every time I hit backspace to delete a choice, it would actually backspace me to the previous page I was on ;_; So I had to keep restarting my game. But fond memories indeed!
Illuen

Post by Illuen »

Oh god, this game is the absolute best thing ever. Ever. Everity Ever and forever and then some. I loved this game so much during my childhood =D. I'd get to school early just so I could make sure I got one of the three computers that had it. Competition over those bitches was HARDCORE. Protip: I was usually woefully overburdened, and I was always stupid enough to try and ford the river. SO DON'T DO THAT PEOPLES! YOUR OXEN WILL DROWN!
No spoony bard could spin a sweeter tale.
oogabooga

Post by oogabooga »

Well, after crashing Firefox again, I discovered that it works fine in IE. So then I played as the banker and won easily, which was boring, so I chose the farmer next time and everybody died (the last person for no apparent reason).
Spivsy

Post by Spivsy »

Firefox? Screw that.
Gibblywibbly

Post by Gibblywibbly »

Yeah, it tells me to download Firefox when I try to play, and I really don't feel like installing a whole other browser just to play a 15 year old game.
Miltank is the coolest pokemon.
Chandi

Post by Chandi »

Do I get cool points for still having an original Oregon Trail disc? It's not the oldest one, but second oldest version, I think. I still pop it in to play from time to time.

Sadly enough, that site did not have my favorite: Dino Tycoon. I think it was an Apple game... not sure though.
Dollfie
Human Avatar: 227963

Post by Dollfie »

Wow... I think I had blocked this game out with all my other emotional childhood trauma but now I remember! XD I would play but since reminiscing makes me a grumpy person, I shall pass. I vaguely recall that it was a fun thing to do at school when I was young though.
Kari

Post by Kari »

I also have an Oregon Trail disc, though it's back home. I also have an Oregon Trail II CD that I used to play over and over.

I played through this one as a farmer, and got to Oregon with only one person dead.
derp
Saturn

Post by Saturn »

I have... SOME version of Oregon Trail on disc somewhere, but it's not the original version, I've never actually gotten around to playing it and I don't even know where it is right now >_> (some random relative gave it to me, it came with their new computer and they didn't want it so I just helped myself, wheee)
Mayhem
Human Avatar: 168272

Post by Mayhem »

I have the original Oregon Trail and Zork gigantic floppies and an ancient Apple that plays them. :D
Varicolored on Subeta
ImageImageImageImageImage