My dog Holly.

Non-neopets general discussion.
Jamie

My dog Holly.

Post by Jamie »

Holly, the greatest dog in the entire world, who I've never heard growl in her entire life, who'd run to the side gates squealing whenever she heard us get home might have to be put down tomorrow. It's sounds cliche, but I've honestly never met another dog like her. You could pet her while she ate, even snatch away a bone from her while she was chewing on it and all she'd do is look up at me with her beautiful eyes. She was the greatest.

Last year in May we found out she had cancer and she had the surgery to have it removed. She recovered slowly but eventually she was as good as new. A couple weeks ago she just deteriorated. In the last two weeks she's lost over a third of her body weight, while still eating as she always did. We've taken her to the vet again and he felt more lumps inside her again, more spread this time in the same area. Surgery would be much more risky and the recovery time may take a lot longer for her, even though she's only 5.

So we think it's best to put her to sleep, even if surgery was a relatively safe option this time, her insurance won't cover her 'existing' condition so we'd be up for all the bills. So as I said, I think it's time to say goodbye to her.

Cranberry
Human Avatar: 183848

Re: My dog Holly.

Post by Cranberry »

Aw, I'm sorry. She's a beautiful dog, and she sounds lovely.
Yuka

Post by Yuka »

I'm so sorry. :( I can't even begin to imagine what you're going through, but I know you're doing the right thing. At least she had a good life with you, it's better than many animals get... you should be proud of yourself. *hug*
rebelheart

Post by rebelheart »

I'm so sorry jamie. I read your description and thought: that sounds like a cocker spaniel, and she was. they are the best dogs ever, and we've also lost three of them, the last one to bladder cancer. She'd also had surgery but the tumors kept coming back and my mother decided to put her down. It is the best option when you realize that your former bundle of joy can barely walk due to the pain :(
Five is such a young age though :( *hugs*
LΟL
Jamie

Post by Jamie »

I just got back from the vet now and it's been done. Thanks for the kind words =)
Wingsrising
Human Avatar: 157670

Post by Wingsrising »

I'm so sorry. :-( She sounds like she was a great dog.
Alicorn
Human Avatar: 160932

Post by Alicorn »

I'm so sorry. That's always a hard choice to make. She sounded like she had a great life with you guys. Her spirit will always be with you. I'll be sending thoughts your way. **hugs**
Sig/Av by: thelonetiel