*Wobbles*

Non-neopets general discussion.
EofS

*Wobbles*

Post by EofS »

Sooo, who else felt the earthquake?

I'm vaguely amused that I didn't entiiiirely believe it (perhaps I imagined my whole room shaking for 20 seconds?) until the BBC updated their news ticker. (What, where else does a good Brit go in a time of crisis but to the BBC News homepage?) And impressed that in the middle of the night I knew the epicentre and magnitude within 45 minutes of it occuring. Welcome to the information age!
Huggles
Feral Koala

Re: *Wobbles*

Post by Huggles »

*wibbles*

Not I. I mean, being kind of far, far away. However, I think if I felt one in Ohio the internet would be the first place I'd go too.
oogabooga

Post by oogabooga »

But you wouldn't have known the magnitude had it been a bit bigger - say, big enough to knock out your internet. On the other hand, you might have believed it more then. But I suppose you don't get those in England ;)

We had an earthquake recently here - or rather in Nevada, but big enough to be felt here - but I missed it. I was probably asleep.
Last edited by oogabooga on 27 Feb 2008 04:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
EofS

Post by EofS »

oogabooga wrote:But you wouldn't have known the magnitude had it been a bit bigger - say, big enough to knock out your internet. But I suppose you don't get those in England ;)
Well this one (5.1-5.3 seeming to be current guesstimates) is the largest in 25 years so... yeah.

Of course, it only takes a sneeze to knock out my internet. And it did go down last summer when we decided one Lake District wasn't enough. And the only heavy snowfall in my entire life left us without power for three days...

So what I'm trying to say is, erm, yeah. I don't really know what I'm trying to say.

Oh, but did you know that there are actually more tornadoes a year in the UK than in Tornado Alley? I can't be bothered to find the science right now, but it's true.
Alecko
Human Avatar: 267595

Post by Alecko »

It woke one of my housemates up so you could feel it here but I managed to sleep through it. :P Even if I'd woken up I bet I'd have clocked it as a weird dream and gone back to sleep.
Kidnemo

Post by Kidnemo »

I totally felt it! I couldn't believe it was happening, cool though.
Jazzy
Devil's Advocate

Post by Jazzy »

There was absolutely nothing here at all; last night was completely uneventful except from when some idiot came and banged on people's doors half an hour before my alarm was due to go off. Until then, I'd slept all the way through the night - that's only happened twice in the last few months, so I'm annoyed someone spoilt it...
adi_gallia

Post by adi_gallia »

I didn't feel it either, I was asleep at the time, but I don't think it would have reached where I am anyway.
Spivsy

Post by Spivsy »

I never felt it either, that's 2 major (and by major I mean a lamp fell over and a dog got scared) earthquakes I haven't felt.
Goldenchaos

Post by Goldenchaos »

I didnt even know they had them in the UK
Image Image
ImageImage
Kantark

Post by Kantark »

I think I slept better last night than I have done for the rest of the week. There were reports of people in Brighton feeling the earthquake but if it was detectable here it certainly wasn't enough to wake me up.
Neopets: sparkygoesforth, decommissioned, nightfall, LiveJournal:kantark, Last.FM:Kantark
danceu4ia

Post by danceu4ia »

I did not feel any quiver over here in Canadia - once again the excitement passes us by. *sigh*

Glad you're all OK though!
ImageImageImage
invader_chloemew

Post by invader_chloemew »

It woke me up, but all it really did was make my bed and the wall behind me shake (although the wall behind me is kinda thin anyway). I think my friends were closer to where the earthquake started though, as they got it a bit worse, in that things fell off shelves and cupboard doors shook. o-O
My (neglected) DA Account: http://chloemew4ever.deviantart.com
ONE MORE RIDE ON THE SPAGHETTI SLIDE!!!