Well, SHIT. My mom's cancer is back.

Non-neopets general discussion.
Wingsrising
Human Avatar: 157670

Well, SHIT. My mom's cancer is back.

Post by Wingsrising »

So my Mom called me this evening (well, actually e-mailed me and asked me to Skype her, gotta love technology) and since I knew she'd had a doctor's appointment today, I pretty much guess what she'd had to say...

Apparently there's a spot on the PET scan she got Monday. It's not 100% sure that's it's the melanoma come back... but it's almost sure.

The good news (such as it is) is that the spot is small and in the lymph node closest to the original tumor, so it's probably the least bad place the cancer could have spread to. But with melanoma even spreading to the least bad place reduces the chance of long-term survival by quite a bit. (I could look it up to see how much, but I'm not sure I really want to know.)

I'm really pissed at her original doctor, who brushed off her concerns that she had a funny-looking growth when she first noticed something wrong. Second place in my bad list goes to her insurance company, who actually wasn't going to pay for this PET scan (because 3 months, despite being the standard recommendation, is just too often, right?) until her doctor called to bitch at them about it.

Unfortunately there's only one drug treatment that's any good against melanoma (and even then, not much) and that's bad for the kidneys. Since she only has one, that worries her doctor. I guess her next step is to see if there are any good clinical trials going on, and then to get the lymph nodes taken out.

:(
Last edited by Wingsrising on 11 Apr 2008 06:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alicorn
Human Avatar: 160932

Re: Well, SHIT.

Post by Alicorn »

Oh Wings, I'm so sorry to hear that. **hugs** I hope they are able to work something out to help your mom. My thoughts shall be with your mom and you and I shall be hopeing for the best. **more hugs**
Sig/Av by: thelonetiel
Ailiel

Re: Well, SHIT.

Post by Ailiel »

That's terrible news. I am so sorry your mother's doctor did not take her seriously, and that her cancer has returned. But luckily she is not out of options, seems like chemo or clinical trial provides at least some choices. Still, cancer is such an asshole.

That sucks. :(
Cranberry
Human Avatar: 183848

Re: Well, SHIT. My mom's cancer is back.

Post by Cranberry »

I'm really sorry, Wings. My mom has had a lot of problems with doctors, too. I'm thinking good thoughts for your mom.
Huggles
Feral Koala

Post by Huggles »

Wow. *huggles* That does indeed suck. I'd like to say I can't share your experience with crap doctors and insurance companies, but I live in America too. I really hope things turn out better for her.
gomababe

Post by gomababe »

I'm so soorry to hear about this Wings. I really hope that things get sorted out quickly and with as little fuss as possible for you all. Cancer sucks majorly, and even more so when it comes back after going into remission like your mum's did, and I am sending lots of good and happy thoughts your way. You remember to take care of yourself as well yeah?
Wingsrising
Human Avatar: 157670

Post by Wingsrising »

Thanks, guys.

I guess Mom's looking into various clinical trials. The insurance company apparently approved the MRI immediately (the tumor was detected with the PET scan that the insurance company originally didn't want to pay for, but apparently that particular sort of PET scan doesn't work on the brain, so they need to use an MRI to make sure there's no cancer there) so perhaps they're feeling suitable chatsized about not wanting to pay for a scan that turned out to find a tumor.

While I'm pissed at my mom's original primary care doctor (how hard is it to LOOK AT THINGS that your patient is worried about, dammit) the current oncologist seems to be pretty good (he's the one who complained to the insurance company and got them to change their minds about paying for the PET scan) so there are still some good ones out there!
shaelyn76
Human Avatar: 185309

Post by shaelyn76 »

Wings, I don't come to this forum very often so I'm sorry if this is a bit late, but I am so very sorry to hear about your mom and the health issues she is facing. As a two time cancer survivor, my heart goes out to her and the tough road she has ahead of her. My thoughts are with you both and I really hope for the best in this. Hugs.
Subeta Neopets
Click my dragons?Image
Jessi
Human Avatar: 155904

Post by Jessi »

Wings, you and your mom are in my thoughts - good luck with everything *hugs* Keep us posted!
EofS

Post by EofS »

I'm so sorry to hear this. It's relieving to know that she's in good hands now, even if she obviously started this whole mess in very bad ones. Best of luck with the clinical trials.
Fjorab_Teke
Human Avatar: 271433

Post by Fjorab_Teke »

Wow, that's awful. :( At least hopefully now she's under the care of a much better doctor. I hope things get better for her very soon.
Kidnemo

Post by Kidnemo »

I've been meaning to post at this thread for a while, been having comp problems.

I'm so sorry Wings, you and your mum will be in my thoughts.