WOE: Someone is killing off geese in our wetland pond.

Non-neopets general discussion.
Usul_Princess

WOE: Someone is killing off geese in our wetland pond.

Post by Usul_Princess »

I took this off the RL AaToW, with Ty's permission, and re-relocated here. Because I have an edit with pictures.

There is a major conflict/divide between My neighborhood, and the one adjacent to ours. And you guessed it, the Ritz built next to a trailer park. And a very stereotypical one at that. I feel sorry for the good people that live there who are stuck with the most obnoxious, vindictive nextdoor neighbors.

Personally, I thought it was a very stupid idea to keep plopping million dollar neighborhoods in random places. But we moved there in '97, and most younger people hate it here because their parents are yuppies (Snotty ones). We live on 1.5 acres, and the pond stretches across three backyards. My next door neighbor owns the lake itself. (We didn't want it for liability reasons.) The vandalism is spaced out enough for the police not to give a shit. Which is weird because we have a thousand overzealous do-gooders, giving out seatbelt tickets, but they can't find out who's killing our wildlife.

Today my dad buried two geese whose corpses surfaced on top of the lake after it rained for a few hours. This was intentional because birds usually don't die in mid-flight unless it's deep water. He had to bury two last year, and two goslings.

Obviously we don't actually own the geese, but we believe someone killed the entire family They poison the mothers first so the babies can die on their own, and the Ganders don't have any mates.

Who the fuck does this?! I think are kids doing it, because I have caught 10 year olds tresspassing at like 1 AM. It's one thing to be vindictive, but why our animals? I've watched the babies hatch, grow a little bigger, and we're pretty sure they're all dead now, because the parents were poisioned.
This genuinely upsets me because animals--especially monogamous ones--mourn when their mates die. We think the Ganders do survive, but don't return because they've subsequently lost a mate or their offspring.

I'm just ranting, not even dissing trailer parks. Trashy people have nothing to do with low income. But this town is notorious for keeping *everything* a secret. The police are sworn to some strange code of silence to preserve a false sense of security. This is like surburbia in Nowhere, Michigan. We have 1 homicide every five years, and only 1 I know of since I've lived here for 11. But when something else happens, no one says/does anything. Bystander bullshit on everyone elses part.

EDIT: A day and a half later this morning BTW, I took some pictures with the crappy camera again, but this time there's no way to zoom in without disturbing the point. But I took pictures of a single gosling approaching it's dead mother.

What you're seeing is the body of the mother on the left, and the baby on the right. Seems to be the sole survivor, and perhaps independent enough to take care of itself.
I just took pictures. I didn't know what else to do. And I still don't. Thoughts, opinions?
ImageImage

Thank you TCStarwind for the lovely signature! ^_^

FC bets: http://www.neopets.com/~DazedBoy
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Re: WOE: Someone is killing off geese in our wetland pond.

Post by AngharadTy »

I don't like geese, but this is just cruelty for the sake of cruelty, and I don't see how anyone could approve. =(
Image Image
Officer 1BDI
Human Avatar: 150891

Post by Officer 1BDI »

Yeah, I'm not a huge goose fan either (they're nice from afar, but they're too easily irritated for me to be comfortable around them), but this is just sick. I hope someone finds whoever is doing this.

Speaking of which, whoever's doing this can get in some pretty hefty trouble depending on what kind of geese those were.
Usul_Princess

Post by Usul_Princess »

Those are definitely Canadian geese. They fly through Michigan all the time, and usually don't venture far off state lines because of the Great Lakes and how naturally swampy the rest of the area is. I'm glad I posted this here, even though it hurts to see it. My dad told me that gosling visits it's mother for hours at a time, only leaving her side to eat. I cried while I was taking the picture, and told the gosling that I was sorry for not taking better care of it. That's like my family out there. :(

I used to not be that crazy about them either because we used to have flocks of 12 or more leaving trails of feces all over the driveway and lawn. But now that the area is less dense, and we only see a few families every year, they grow on you.
ImageImage

Thank you TCStarwind for the lovely signature! ^_^

FC bets: http://www.neopets.com/~DazedBoy