Harry Potter, Prequel now online! **SPOILERS?**

Non-neopets general discussion.
checkers

Harry Potter, Prequel now online! **SPOILERS?**

Post by checkers »

I know there are a lot of Harry Potter fans here, and some Sirius/James fans too, so here is a taste of the past!, as you may or may not have known JKR was writing a Postcard Prequel, the card was sold tonight for 25,000 pounds ($48,855 USD) at a charity event, with the proceeds to benefit English Pen and Dyslexia Action. The postcard is available online to read, http://www.waterstoneswys.com/, under 'Read our authors stories, JK Rowling' JKR's handwriting is a little hard to read, so I wrote it up on the computer for those who would have difficulties reading her writing. (I did so that's why I wrote this for you lot if you can't read it!)

JK Rowling Harry Potter Prequel, checkers's attempt at translating:

The speeding motorcycle took the sharp corner so fast in the darkness that both policemen in the pursuit car shouted 'Whoa' Sergeant Fisher slammed his large foot on the brake, thinking that the boy who was riding pillion was sure to be flat under his wheels; however, the motorbike made the turn without unseating either of it's riders and with a wink of its red tail ligh, vanished up the narrow side of the street.

'We've got 'em now!' cried PC Anderson excitedly. 'That's a dead end!' Leaning hard on the steely wheel and craship his fears, Fisher scraped half the point off the flank of the car as he forced it up the alleyway in pursuit. There in the headlights sat their quarry, stationary at last after a quater of and hour's chase. The two riders were trapped between a towering brick wall and the police car, which was now crawling towards them like some growling luminous-eyed predator.

There was so little space between the car doors and the walls of the alley that Fisher and Anderson had difficulty extricating themselves from the vehicle. It injured their dignity to have to inch crab-like towards the miscreats. Fisher drapped his generous belly ahoy the wall, tearing buttons off his shirt as he went and finally snapping off the wing mirror with his backside. 'Get off the bike!' he bellowed at the smirking youths, who sat basking in the flashing blue light as though enjoying it.

They did as they were told. Finally pulling free from the broken wing mirror, Fisher glared at them. They seemed to be in the late teens. The one who had been driving had long black hair; his insolent good looks reminded Fisher unpleasantly of his daughter's guitar-playing layabout boyfriend. The second boy also had black hair, though his was short and stuck up in all directions; he wore glasses and a broad grin. Both were dressed in t-shirts emblazoned with large golden bird; the emblem, no doubt of some deafening, tuneless rock band.

'No helmets!' Fisher yelled, poiting from one uncovered head to the other. 'Exceeding the speed limit. By - by a considerable amount! (In fact, the speed registered had been greater than Fisher was prepared to accept that any motorcycle could travel.) 'Faling to stop for the police!'

'We'd have loved to stop for a chat' said the boy in glasses 'Only we were trying-'
'Don't get smart - you two are in a heap of trouble!' snarled Anderson. 'Names!?'
'Names?' repeated the long haired driver. 'Er- well, let's see. There's Wilberforce, Bathsheba... Elvendork ...'
'And what's nice about that one is, you can use it for a boy OR a girl' said the boy in glasses.'Oh, OUR names, did you mean?' ask the first, as Anderson spluttered with rage. 'You should've said! This here is James Potter, and I'm Sirius Black!'
'This'll be seriously black for you in a minute you cheeky little-'

But neither James nor Sirius was payin attention. They were suddenly as alert as guardogs, staring past Fisher and Anderson over the roof of the police car, at the dark mouth of the alley. Then with identical fluid movements they reached into their back pockets. For the space of a heartbeat both policement imagined guns gleaming at them but a second later saw that the motorcyclists had drawn nothing more than-

'Drunsticks?' jerked Anderson. 'Right pair of jokers, aren't you? Right, we're areesting you on charge of-'
But Anderson never got to name the charge. James and Sirius had shouted something incomprehensible and the beam from the healights had moved. The policement wheeled around then staggereed backwards. Three men were flying- actually FLYING - up the alley on broomsticks - and at the same moment the police car was rearing up on it's back wheels.

Fishers knees bucked; he sat down hard; Anderson tripped over Fisher's legs and fell on top of him, as FLUMP-BANG-CRUNCH they heard the men on the brooms slam into the upended car and fall apparently insensible to the ground while broken bits of broomstick clattered down around them.

The motorbike ahd roared into life again. His mouth hanging open, Fisher muscled the strength to look back at the two teenagers.
'Thanks very much!' called Sirius over the throb of the engine. 'We owe you one!'
'Yeah, nice meeting you"' same James 'And don't forget: Elvendork! It's unisex!'
There was an eath-shaking crash and Fisher and Anderson threw their arms around eachother in fright; their car had just fallen back to the ground. Now it was the motorcycle's turn to rear. Before the policemen's disbelieving eyes. It took off into thin air: James and Sirius zoomed away into the night sky their tail light twinkling behind them like a vaniship rulay.

From the prequel, I am NOT working on. But that was fun! JKRowling 2008.
Goldenchaos

Re: Harry Potter, Prequel now online! **SPOILERS?**

Post by Goldenchaos »

Awesome. Thanks for this! :D
Image Image
ImageImage
Fjorab_Teke
Human Avatar: 271433

Post by Fjorab_Teke »

Sweet...

I've actually finally gotten around to reading the series, so far. My sister handed me the books and told me to read them. :) I don't always cave in to her demands suggestions, as our tastes are similar in some ways and very different in others. I like Harry Potter enough to give the books a try, and so far no disappointments.
bonecrivain
Incorrigible Bookworm
Human Avatar: 157826

Post by bonecrivain »

That's genuine? It reads rather a lot like bad fan fiction.
Kamil
Not the nice one
Human Avatar: 72834

Post by Kamil »

That's for real, Bon. She wrote it as part of a charity event, where various authors signed up to pen 800 words that were then auctioned off.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/SHOWBIZ/books/0 ... r.auction/

I loved it, but then I'm the original James/Sirius shipper (I paid an ungodly sum for two James/Sirius pieces by one of my favorite authors four years ago, when the LJ comm, fan_the_vote was raising money for Kerry/Edwards*), so it worked out beautifully for me. =D

*even if Yahtzee did end up flavoring them with Sirius/Remus overtones . . .
Image Image
MM and Twofold rock, yo.