What music are you into?

Non-neopets general discussion.
Griffin
Human Avatar: 156329

Re: What music are you into?

Post by Griffin »

If anyone's interested (probably not), there's a freshly compiled list of my dorky listening material here. I probably listen to less than 25% of it on a regular basis, though.

I mostly listen to Japanese music, since it's what I grew up with as a young geek. Over time, I've sampled every genre and came away with something good from each one, from folk to industrial to black metal to Bollywood soundtracks to french garage rock bands on vinyl. I'm still extremely particular, so I'll tend to reject the vast majority of any genre and take only the best, usually non-mainstream stuff. Today's hits and radio stuff tends to go in one ear and out the other, but that doesn't mean I hate things like pop and rap on principle. It just has to be exceptionally good. (But for some reason, I can rarely tolerate female singers. My favourite vocalists are always men with deep, growly, somewhat annoying voices.)

My favourite band is probably Saber Tiger, as they have my favourite vocalist of all time (also in Double Dealer and Sixride), and the music really means something to me, even if I can't understand most of his extremely poor english. I think music has to fuel my imagination and spark vivid mental images for me to truly enjoy it.
Huggles
Feral Koala

Post by Huggles »

I like When The Pawn blah blah blah something something gee this is a really long title. I saw a video from her latest, and although I liked the song, it didn't spark enough in me to buy the album. So, there may be great stuff on there I haven't heard. Tidal wins everything. I don't really have a favorite song, but I'd love to see someone like Sasha Cohen skate to Slow Like Honey or The First Taste. I like figure skating. Hee.
Silverevilchao
Human Avatar: 155477

Post by Silverevilchao »

I'm very fond of video game music, especially Sonic and Metroid. I'm talking 16-bit Sonic from the old Genesis games, not the generic crap that appears in their games now. I also like remixes of it, primarily Project Chaos (Sonic 3 & Knuckles) and Hedgehog Heaven (Sonic 2). The half of my Metroid music is from the Prime games, which consists mostly of the kick-ass title screen, menu, and credits themes, and the other half is the remixes present in Brawl (plus the actual songs they put in there, too. Meta Ridley Theme FTFW!).

I also pick-and-choose songs from various genres (well, except for rap and country), regardless of the artist (with the exception of Fall Out Boy. *shudder*). This, of course, means that I have stuff from old-school Linkin Park to Godsmack to...A-Ha?
Elzaim

Post by Elzaim »

I listen to a fairly broad range of music, but I'd have to say that at least half or more of my collection consists of hard rock/metal.

I'm also in agreement with the fact that music plays a huge part in everyday life and relationships. My fiancee and I (soon to be my hubby in 3 weeks!) have a lot of the same tastes in music, and when I find a new band I like, he generally tends to like them too - with a few exceptions. :P

As mentioned above, I enjoy a range of different music, but I crave 'hard' music. I love listening to heavy guitars and drums. I really enjoy seeing a band get so involved in their music and watching them almost become one with their instrument. That interaction and the melodies, riffs and beat is ultimately what I like. Lyrics are also important too - but not as important as the music itself.

My favourite band is My Chemical Romance - and their live concert that I went to last year was mind-blowing. I've never had so much fun at a live show before. Every concert I've been too after that seems to be pale in comparison.

Anyway, enough rambling. Here's a list of some of my favourite bands/music:

My Chemical Romance
Incubus
Metallica
Evanescence
Systemof a Down
Sons of Butcher
Fall Out Boy
Neverending White Lights
M.I.A. (My fiancee HATES this music - it's literally the only thing he can't listen to. :P)
Jimmy Eat World
Blink 182
Sum 41
The White Stripes
Our Lady Peace
Ghostrain
Three Days Grace
City and Color
Avril Lavigne
The Smashing Pumpkins
Switchfoot
Simon and Garfunkel
OneRepublic
Linkin Park
Johnny Cash
Justin Timberlake
Led Zeppelin
Flyleaf
Flight of the Conchords
Deftones
Chevelle
Beyonce

I'm also a fan of a few anime soundtracks, and I LOVE music soundtracks - my favourite being Memoirs of a Geisha. I love, love, love asian-themed music, especially if it was created with authentic instruments. :)