PSP buying dilemma!

Non-neopets general discussion.
Joey
Secret Ninja Mod
Human Avatar: 166931

PSP buying dilemma!

Post by Joey »

Okie dokie, so I've pretty much set myself on buying a psp slim. But I'm pretty torn on which one to buy. The colour that I really really want, Lavender Purple, has to be imported so it's gonna set me back $210 plus shipping. But it would match my DS so wonderfully and I really want something that stands out. On the other hand, I could get the Silver one which is already bundled with a game I want for only about $160 thanks to discounts I get at Target. But it's not really a colour I'm excited about at all, even if I'm saving $50. And my friend has a spare of the game it's bundled with that she'll sell me for dirt cheap. The main reason I'm angsting over this is since I'm quitting in 4 days I'll lose the employee discount so I have to decide now.

Any thoughts?
Silver Link

Re: PSP buying dilemma!

Post by Silver Link »

I think the lavender one sounds nice but I think you should get silver because it's cheaper plus in a couple of years, the color won't matter that much. Sure, it's different but then you'll be moving on to the next hand held system and will only use it for either watching movies or playing games for nostalgia
Last edited by Silver Link on 27 Aug 2008 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jessi
Human Avatar: 155904

Post by Jessi »

Personally, I'd get the silver one, because it's such a better deal. Also, I have to agree that in a couple of years, the color probably won't matter much.

You could always trade your DS with me and then it wouldn't be a big deal ;D
Huggles
Feral Koala

Post by Huggles »

I'd go for purple, as someone who refuses to buy any portable device that isn't pink. Unless there's another game you really really want and wouldn't be able to afford for a long time, I think you'll be happier. Resell value can go either way depending on where you sell it. At a local place, it might go for less than it would somewhere like ebay. If I had the money, I'd get the one sponsored by Pink, but I think it's still UK only.

This thread reminds me that it's been months since I've seen my ds lite. :( Where have you gone?
bonecrivain
Incorrigible Bookworm
Human Avatar: 157826

Post by bonecrivain »

If it's something you really, really want and plan to keep for a long time, I'd say go for exactly what you want. I know I usually regret getting something that isn't-quite-perfect when perfect is doable and not that much more expensive. It depends on your money situation and how much you're going to need that extra $50. If cash is tight and you really shouldn't be splurging, that's one thing. If you have a reasonable cushion and this is something you really, really want, then...why not?

Plus, purple is my favorite color, so I'm biased.
Joey
Secret Ninja Mod

Post by Joey »

Mmmm... The side of logic and saving money makes a lot of sense. Then again I'm splurging by buying the purple one to begin with, and I can afford it. Another factor is that my Target doesn't have the silver/Daxter bundle anymore. I'm gonna check around, but if I can't find it then I'd be buying the blue/stupid football game bundle, which while I don't hate the blue, I despise the idea of ever putting money toward those kinds of excuses for a sports game. Thanks for the input so far though!
Officer 1BDI
Human Avatar: 150891

Post by Officer 1BDI »

As someone who waited months for the Onyx DS Lite to hit the market instead of just settling for the original (and probably cheaper) DS, I agree with everyone saying buy what you're really eager to get. I don't regret my purchase at all.

On the other hand, I was looking forward to more than just the color when I settled on the DS Lite; it's lighter, the screen light is better, the battery life is longer, etc. I guess what it really comes down to is: is it worth $50 to you to have a purple PSP?
Jessi

Post by Jessi »

I think you also need to remember that you'll be out more than $50, since you'll have to buy at least one game for it, so you might want to factor that in. But then, from my point of view, as someone who is all too aware of how fast money disappears, I couldn't justify spending that much for just a color when I wouldn't even get a game.

Think of how much manga you can buy ;D

Of course, if you can't even find the set you were going to get instead of the purple DSLite, I wouldn't waste money on the one with the football game or whatever, either.
Joey
Secret Ninja Mod

Post by Joey »

So I looked around at the other Targets that are close by and none of them had the silver PSP anymore, it's all the silly blue one. So I decided that the best choice is option D, play my DS! I'll save my money and not buy a PSP at all until they come out with a colour I want at a decent price. So I'll have no regrets about not getting what I wanted or spending too much, and I'll have an extra $150 to kick around. Thanks a lot for all the help you guys, it really helped me out and I think I'm making the best decision :D
Jessi

Post by Jessi »

Hee, Joey, you're so silly xD But that probably is a wise decision, especially if you're not necessarily really interested in a PSP right now, you just wanted to get one while you had the money/your discount :D

(ps I SEE YOU IN A WEEK OMG)